Highlighted
Dillon_Thomas
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 30, 2019

Bose QC35 II altering sound settings of Galaxy S8

I currently use a Galaxy S8 running Android 9 Pie and Bose QC35 II on latest firmware. I usually use the phone with its sounds muted, with the exception of the Media Volume when I'm playing media.  About a day ago, it started playing notification alert sounds using the Media Volume setting instead of the Notification Volume setting. Additionally, it would play the notification sound multiple times overlapping depending on how many icons were currently in the notification bar.

I reset the settings of the phone which appeared to have solved the problem as notifications would only sound when the Notification Volume was unmuted. However, upon reconnecting my Bose QC35 II on latest firmware, the problem reappeared. I did a little bit of experimenting by clearing settings again and waiting a few hours with no appearance of the problem, only to have it once again reappear when re-pairing my Bose QC35 II headphones. 

Even after disconnecting the headphones, the problem persists and notification sounds play multiple times overlapping on the phone's speaker as long as the media volume is turned up. The only way to prevent this is to blanket reset all phone settings. Seeing as I've had these headphones since January of this year and this phone since 2017, it's very odd that the problem has manifested in this way.

Additionally I have attempted to clear the pairing list of the Bose QC35 II as well as toggling settings in the Bose Connect app, which appeared to change nothing related to this problem.

I have noticed other forum posters with similar issues with other Android-based mobile devices. Hopefully these details will provide some answers for all of us. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
scotchedpommes
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 1, 2019

Re: Bose QC35 II altering sound settings of Galaxy S8

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Tegan_M

The notification access fix appears to have worked for me. Already edited my last post in the other thread, but thought it worth reiterating here.

I eventually found notification access controls under "Other security settings" [running Android 8.1 and SE 9.5 here] and denied Google access. I then re-paired and the sounds seemed to glitch as before - the Google notification that appeared on re-pairing played the incorrect sound, and also incorrectly triggered vibration. [A new fault to me, possibly as I had Do Not Disturb switched on.]

I tried a couple of different notifications which also glitched as before, but after opening the Google notification I chose to finish the headphone setup process, again denyting Google Assistant access to notifications. As of that point all notification sounds seem to play correctly. Not sure why there appeared to be a delay in the fix seeming to take effect, or why there was no need to reboot to stop the glitching, but it's possible that the Google Assistant headphone setup needs to be completed and again denied notification access.

10 REPLIES 10
WishO
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 31, 2019

I am having the exact same issue with my Samsung Note 9. It just started a few days ago. I usually have all my notifications silenced in my actual phones, only activated through my earphones. Now when I turn off my headphones, all my notifications come through, very loudly. I have found that the only fix is to turn off my phone and turn it back on, and all notifications are silenced again.

But once I reconnect any disconnect my QC35ii, it's the same story all over again.

I really hope this fix this issue promptly, as it is interfering with my work and daily routine.

Hello @Dillon_Thomas & @WishO,

I'm sorry to hear that you are both suddenly experiencing this issue between your mobile device and your QC35 II's.

It does seem very odd that this has suddenly happened without any firmware updates. 

I'd like to start by asking you both to reset your headphones. You can do this by: 

1. Turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds
  2. Plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds
  3. Unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute
  4. Turn on the headset

Do you by any chance also have any other Bluetooth headphones to test this with your phone? 

I look forward to hearing back from you both. 

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Dillon_Thomas
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 30, 2019

@Charlotte_G ,

I have attempted to reset the headphones a couple of times. I have also attempted clearing the paired devices from the headphones by holding the pairing switch for 10 seconds. The headphones continue to alter the phone settings. I paired a set of bluetooth Sony headphones belonging to a friend to my phone and did not encounter the same issue. 

Additionally, I have paired the QC35 II's to an iOS device without any issue. However, upon connecting to a friend's Pixel 3 I encountered the same issue as when connected to my Galaxy S8. The altering of settings seems to only be appearing for me on Android devices.

WishO
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 31, 2019

I have also followed the steps to reset my QC35ii headphones, and they still cause the same issue. Also, I connected my BeatsX earphones to my phone and they do not cause any issue on my phone.
steveaux
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 3, 2019

I too am having similar issues and that's why I came to this forum. I have the Bose 35 II and I use the Galaxy S6 latest version of Android. After I disconnect the headset even when the sound is set to vibrate, I get sounds along with vibrate. Only way I know to fix is to restart the phone. Kind of annoying so I hope you have a fix soon. Other than that I love the headset. By the way I did attempt the headset restart instructions in this thread. No luck.
welchy
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 4, 2019

Hi 

for the past few days, I have been having the same issue.   After using my QC35 II the notifications on my Samsung Galaxy S9+ come through the phone as "media" - very loud, regardless of whether notifications are muted or not.  

The only way I can resolve it (I think) is to reboot the phone - then everything is ok until I connect (and disconnect) my headphones again then it reverts back.

It's really annoying - and disturbing in a work context.

Bobjims
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 4, 2019

I'm having the exact same issue. On Samsung galaxy S8. For the last few days my QC35ii headphones have been screwing up my phone's audio. I get notifications even when the phone is set to silent and these notifications continuously repeat/overlap in a very annoying manner.

I've tried all fixes recommended online and still no luck. Issue only happens with the Bose headphones, not with any other types.

Bose, please fix this ASAP otherwise I'll have to stop using these headphones.
Community Manager

Hi all,

I've been doing some digging online and found other users experiencing a similar issue with Android devices, on multiple Bluetooth devices - not just Bose headphones.

The main thread can be found HERE, whereby some users are associating the notification volume issues to a recent security software update on their Android devices.

A discussion can be found HERE with some troubleshooting suggestions and a temporary resolution of "turning off "notification access" of "Google" (Apps & notifications > special app access, or via search)", although this may have some additional limitations of Google Assistant functionality on your device. I encourage you to reach out directly to your device's manufacturer for additional assistance.

I hope this helps.

Kindest,

Andy B

scotchedpommes
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 1, 2019

@Andy_B wrote:

I've been doing some digging online and found other users experiencing a similar issue with Android devices, on multiple Bluetooth devices - not just Bose headphones.

The main thread can be found HERE, whereby some users are associating the notification volume issues to a recent security software update on their Android devices

Going by what I've read here and elsewhere, this looks to be unrelated to any recent security patch. [Certainly in my case, being on older versions.] Although there are slight variations in how the issues are described [with emphasis being placed on volume here] I believe we're essentially reporting the same faults. My first post on these boards about it was here. Although the issues reported at the start of the thread are different, the extensive bug report I was responding to effectively describes the more recent problems.

As mentioned, I'm running Android 8.1 and an older patch. While media volume is a factor in whether or not the incorrect notification sound is audible, what clearly marks out the issue for me is the incorrect playing of the default sound with a user-selected sound, echoing and repetition, and the persistence of these problems after the headphones that triggered the glitch are unpaired.

The Bluetooth stack was referenced in more recent responses to this; presumably there's been a change in interactions with it [affecting a wide range of devices] that requires a fix that goes beyond changing notification settings.

-

Edit #2: Have tried to implement the notification permission workaround mentioned, though can't seem to find the equivalent permission controls within Android 8.1 and Samsung Experience 9.5. Disabled permissions for Google, and chose to "Remove Google Assistant" during the initial setup process on re-pairing the QC35 IIs, but neither appeared to work.

The thread Andy_B linked to with the workaround on that Samsung board appears to be locked to me, so barring any other potential fixes surfacing here, I might take it up with the original poster on Reddit.

Thanks.