Re: Bose QC35 II enforces phones vibration and notification sound

Hey @andolf @Uthuze,

You may want to check the app notifications settings for vibration settings. This article from Google support can help you get there: http://bit.ly/2I1RdwS 

Does that help with what you're looking to achieve? 

Let us know, 

Thank you, 

Mohsin 

zsuter
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 9, 2019

Hi - 

I am encountering the same issue as described in this thread. I am running Android Pie on a Verizon Galaxy S8. I should not have to disable all of my vibrations via individual app settings (Textra, Snapchat, Gmail, etc) nor should I have to turn on Do Not Disturb and not get any notifications. Why is this not being addressed yet? 

Additionally, I was able to recreate this issue on an iPhone 6. Anytime either phone is on silent and the headphones are NOT connected, I receive notifications without vibration. As soon as I connect the headphones, any app notifications that come through cause the phone to vibrate, which is clear that this is a Bose issue.

Please let me know if you need any more information to help resolve this.

Thanks. 

Hi Zsuter, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. I appreciate the testing you have done as well as the feedback you have provided. 

I will forward your suggestions and findings on to our development team. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Blomman
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 30, 2019

I use a Samsung Note 8 running Android 9 and have the same problem.
No problems with my other headphones but whit the Bose QC 35 II I put the phone on mute and it vibrates but when I disconnect QC35 it stops....
I feel this need to be addressed fast because from what I can see people have reported this problem for over one year...
Michael_C
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 31, 2019

I am having a similar issue where it turns on my notification sounds when I connect my QC35 ii and I start getting notification sounds even though my phone is on vibrate.  Then when I disconnect the headphones my phone now makes notification sounds whether it is on Vibrate or Silent mode.  I have to reboot the phone in Safe mode to fix the problem but it happens all over again when I connect the headphones. 

I am using a Google Pixel 3 running android 9 (Build PQ3A. 190505.002).  

I have tried unpairing the device and repairing but that hasn't fixed the issue.  It seems to want to use my media volume instead of my ringer volume when I disconnect.  This is very annoying

Highlighted
robmcdowell
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

Bose QC35 II do not respect 'Silent', 'Vibrate', 'Do Not Disturb' settings on Pixel 3

Hello,

I wish to report an issue with my Bose QC35 II headphones. The issue has two related parts:

1) The headphones will not not respect a 'silent', 'vibrate', or 'do not disturb' setting, and all notifications make a notification sound inside the headset at the same volume as the 'media' voume setting (i.e. they treat all notification sounds as if they were media being played)

2) After the QC35 II are disconnected, the phone continues to treat ALL notification sounds as 'media' - It will play them in silent, vibrate, DND, and if a different BT device is connected it will play them over it.

The TLDR version: Connecting my QC35 II to my phone instantly changes how the phone processes notification sounds, making them play as if they were 'media' in all cases. Restarting the phone corrects this until the next time the QC35 II are connected.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

After some research I have found other people reporting similar problems, so I decided to do some testing. For clarity, I've created a short FAQ about the device and testing conditions:

1) What type of phone?
An unrooted Pixel 3 running Android 9, security update May 5, build PQ3A.190505.002. (All available OTA updates installed)

2) Have you tried restarting the device?
I have restarted the QC35 II, the other BT devices, and the phone. Restarting the phone corrects the issue until the next time that the QC35 II are connected, after which point the issue resumes and persists until the next restart. Restarting the other devices and not the phone has no effect.

3) What other BT devices develop this issue after the QC35 II disconnects?
Anker soundbuds (2 pairs), a Honda bluetooth sound system, and a Blue Piston. I.e. everything I have tried that play 'media' from the phone, including the phone itself. Presumably this includes wired headphones as well but currently unknown.

4) Have you disabled Google Assistant on the headphones?
Yes, no effect

5) Have you disabled 'Spoken Notifications' in the Google Assistant settings for this device?
Yes, no effect. This is not related to this feature as it is not voice notifications that are the problem.

6) Have you tried uninstalling the Bose Connect app?
Yes, no effect.

7) Have you tried resetting the Bose headphones?
Yes, by turning them off, waiting 30 seconds, plugging them in, waiting 5 seconds, unplugging them, waiting 60 seconds, and turning them back on. No effect.

😎 Have you tried unpairing / re-pairing the headset to your phone?
Yes, no effect.

9) Are the QC35 II connected to any other devices?

Yes, a W10 tablet. Disconnecting does not change the results.

10) Does the problem persist in android's "Safe Mode"

Yes, the problem is identical in Safe Mode.

11) What are you using to generate test notifications?

Text messages, emails, and (when not in Safe Mode), IFTTT.

12) How loud are the notification sounds?
Depends on the 'media' volume level setting.

13) What workarounds have you developed?
Setting media volume to zero negates the notification sound but since these devices are primarily used for music, this is pointless. Restarting the phone after disconnecting QC35 II fixes the issue until the next time the QC35 II connect. Setting the default notification sound to 'none' in Android settings prevents audio notifications over BT from being audible but also prevents them from playing from the phone when desired.

14) Have you tried factory reseting your phone?
No, this is a drastic step and I would prefer to avoid it.

15) Do you have the same problem on any other devices?
Unknown, I have no other devices with with to easily test. I will find some and continue working.

16) Does this issue persist with wired headphones?
Uknown, I don't have an adapter availble to me at this time (USB C, no 3.5mm jack)

17) Do any other BT devices cause this problem to start?
Not that I have found. I do not have a different pair of QC35 II to test with at this time.

18) How long have you had this issue?
Unknown, noticed a few days ago. It's possible it was there before this but was unnoticed.

19) What other troubleshooting have you tried?

Going into Android Settings > Apps > Settings (clear data and cache)

robmcdowell
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

I have the same issue.  i.e. that once the QC35 II connect, all 'notification' sounds are treated by the phone as 'media', ignoring any 'silent', 'dnd', 'vibrate', settings, etc.  This persists until a phone restart.

My testing notes are here:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Bose-QC35-II-do-not-respect-Silent-Vibrate-Do...

bayangan
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 30, 2019

Re: Bose QC35 II do not respect 'Silent', 'Vibrate', 'Do Not Disturb' settings on Pixel 3

I am experiencing the same issue exactly as described above
robmcdowell
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

Re: Bose QC35 II do not respect 'Silent', 'Vibrate', 'Do Not Disturb' settings on Pixel 3

Thank you for the info. Can you tell me what brand / model of phone you are using, and what Android version?
bayangan
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 30, 2019

I am using an unrooted Huawei Mate 20 pro running Android 9