Blomman
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 30, 2019

Re: Bose QC35 II do not respect 'Silent', 'Vibrate', 'Do Not Disturb' settings on Pixel 3

Like cparadela says I have the exact same issue.
I tried plantronics = no problem
I tried jabra = no problem
I tried peltor = no problem
And so on
But when I connect my QC35 II and have "do not disturb" mode on my Samsung Note 8 it start to vibrate when I get any notifications..... mail, text, even Google weather reports..... and this is a behavior connected to QC35 II only...
scotchedpommes
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 1, 2019

Re: Bose QC35 II do not respect 'Silent', 'Vibrate', 'Do Not Disturb' settings on Pixel 3

Unclear on whether vibration issues are directly connected to the same issue, but the overriding of the sound profiles fits.

As far as I can tell from the threads linked in posts here, across different support boards and Reddit, the temporary fix of denying Google access to notifications should work across phones and affected Bose and Sony headphone types.

I haven't been able to implement it yet, in part [I think] because of my different software, but there's a comprehensive post on the Google Pixel subreddit here which might provide a fix. Again, specifically looking to that "notification access" fix that seems to be confirmed as working, although it will reportedly disable the Assistant's ability to read notifications in the process. I've yet to go through the rest of the post to try the alternatives, but might edit in here if I find anything that works for me.

Edit: It seems to be fixed. Eventually found notification access controls under a different menu and denied Google access. I then re-paired and the sounds seemed to glitch as before - the Google notification that appeared on re-pairing played the incorrect sound, and also incorrectly triggered vibration. [A new fault to me, possibly as I had Do Not Disturb switched on.]

I tried a couple of different notifications which also glitched as before, but after opening the Google notification I chose to finish the headphone setup process, again denyting Google Assistant access to notifications. As of that point all notification sounds seem to play correctly. Not sure why there appeared to be a delay in the fix seeming to take effect, or why there was no need to reboot to stop the glitching, but it's possible that the Google Assistant headphone setup needs to be completed and again denied notification access.

Highlighted
robmcdowell
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

I apologize if this has been covered before, but between the combination of multiple posts and looking across multiple forums I am starting to lose the thread.  (Ha!)

I understand that this issue has been identified on the Google side of things as well and they are already rolling out a patch to fix it.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/6715714?hl=en

Hope this helps, I wish them luck.

R

scotchedpommes
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 1, 2019

Thanks for the update. Hadn't been following any Google response myself since implementing the fix. [Though coincidentally had just been posting a follow-up elsewhere on the issue.]

In case you've missed the fix in any of the threads, you can correct the notification issues by denying the Google app [and the Assistant in the post-pairing headphone setup] access to your notifications within security settings. Obviously not an ideal solution if having the Google Assistant read your notifications is essential to you, but it does appear to fix the sound profile problems.

robmcdowell
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

Thanks for that. I hadn't tried it yet, but frankly I was so frustrated with this issue I have unpaired the headphones. I use them exclusively with my PC now. I'll give it some time and then see if they have fixed it.

I'm dealing with a different and presumably unrelated Bluetooth issue now anyways. Sigh. It never ends.
violinbg
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

I have the same issue but with the new Bose 700 heaphones. This didn't happen with the QC35 (not QC35 II). I'm thinking it has something to do with the Voice Assistant.

It compleatly ignores the vibrate mode and you can not listen to music - especially if you chat with friends a lot. I'm thinking of returning the heaphones if I can't figure it out. Essentially if I can't listen to music - what do I need them for.

(using Samsung S8 on Android 9)

scotchedpommes
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 1, 2019

Inability to listen to music might be a different issue. If the problems you've experienced do appear to be the specific notification sound and profile ones described earlier, then it already seems to have been established that they're related to Google and Google Assistant access to notifications. Have you tried the notification access fix on the Google app and denying the Assistant notification access during setup?

I'd half expected that these issues might've been addressed by Google in an app update by now, but I haven't allowed the app or Google Assistant access again anyway, simply because the fix worked.

Hello violinbg,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700's. 

Have you been able to check out any of the troubleshooting provided? Also the other links to similar threads provided by moderators have some great tips. 

Do let me know if you are unable to resolve this issue and I will see what I can do to help you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

violinbg
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

Thank you for the suggestion! Disabling the notification access seems like a good workaround and solves the issue for me.

I can see how this may actually be a Google issue. It's frustrairing that someone developed this feature and though it would be great to mute the music evey second for each chat message - I wonder if they even discuss how users use their products.

scotchedpommes
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 1, 2019

Glad if it helps, though not sure that's the same issue.

@violinbg wrote:

It's frustrairing that someone developed this feature and though it would be great to mute the music evey second for each chat message

The problems highlighted earlier in this thread aren't related to a feature and weren't about notifications dimming music. Dimming's a standard response to notifications common across devices and different operating systems, so you might be looking for an entirely different solution to address that alone.

The problems described here in earlier replies were related to bugs introduced by a change in May to the Google app. It appears to affect Assistant's use of notifications on devices paired with any capable wireless headphones. Since then if you allow Assistant access it seems to force notification sounds to play incorrectly from the moment the headphones are paired. All notification responses are then effectively broken from that point until the device is rebooted, and the problems are immediately reintroduced if you re-pair. It affects different types of wireless headphones, but the common link appears to be the Google app / Assistant access to notifications.