Highlighted
Sgt.Cortez
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Bose QC35 ii, does it support the new Amazon music HD streaming formats?

Hithere,

I see Amazon has announced a new Amazon music HD streaming service for CD quality and beyond music streaming. I'm not too familiar with how the the file formats work, but their FAQ page says that the Music HD supports 2 formats, being:

- CD Quality (HD)

- Ultra HD Tracks

I'm interested in knowing if the Bose QC35 ii headphones will support the UHD music streaming from amazon. Hopefully the following info from their FAQ helps.

"Ultra HD tracks have a bit depth of 24 bits, sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730kbps."

The bit that concerns me is that it also says that most wireless headphones compress the audio during transmission and are unable to support UHD music.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: Bose QC35 ii, does it support the new Amazon music HD streaming formats?

Author Accepted Answer selected by Sgt.Cortez

Hi there @Sgt.Cortez and welcome to the Bose Community!

The supported Bluetooth codecs for the QC35 II headphones are AAC and SBC, using the following Bluetooth profiles: HFP, HSP, A2DP, AVRCP and BLE.

The AAC and SBC formats have maximum transfer rates of roughly 250 and 320 kbps respectively.

The AAC audio format supports audio quality up to 24-bit, at 96kHz, and while the SBC codec doesn't officially have a bit-rate limit, this supports a sample rate of up to 48KHz.

Generally, higher bit-rates equal high quality audio, but here's a little information for context to the above:

-Bit-depth is used to determine the range of measurements, measured in bits.

-Transfer/Sample rates are the number of points of data per second in an audio file.

-Bit-rate is the amount of bits per second that a file outputs, the higher the better. Bit Rate= Bit Depth x Sample Rate.

-A lower bit-rate means better compression and worse sound quality, a high bit-rate means better sound quality and worse compression. This means that there's a bit of a compromise to be made a lot of the time between quality and compression/file size.

The "Ultra-HD" or "UHD" tracks described here have an average bit-rate of 3730kbps. While the AAC format would max out at 2304kbps, and the SBC limit will vary, this may not play the HD quality that Amazon are forecasting here. 

When the system can't play at the limit that is forecast, it will default to the next highest quality that can be played through the headset.

While this may not play at the highest quality that is forecast by Amazon, this would still be able to play at a high quality! Statistics can often be misleading or cause you to jump to conclusions about audio quality, and I would still recommend that you give this a listen to get a personal experience for this.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any questions at all!

Liam W - Community Support

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by Sgt.Cortez

Hi there @Sgt.Cortez and welcome to the Bose Community!

The supported Bluetooth codecs for the QC35 II headphones are AAC and SBC, using the following Bluetooth profiles: HFP, HSP, A2DP, AVRCP and BLE.

The AAC and SBC formats have maximum transfer rates of roughly 250 and 320 kbps respectively.

The AAC audio format supports audio quality up to 24-bit, at 96kHz, and while the SBC codec doesn't officially have a bit-rate limit, this supports a sample rate of up to 48KHz.

Generally, higher bit-rates equal high quality audio, but here's a little information for context to the above:

-Bit-depth is used to determine the range of measurements, measured in bits.

-Transfer/Sample rates are the number of points of data per second in an audio file.

-Bit-rate is the amount of bits per second that a file outputs, the higher the better. Bit Rate= Bit Depth x Sample Rate.

-A lower bit-rate means better compression and worse sound quality, a high bit-rate means better sound quality and worse compression. This means that there's a bit of a compromise to be made a lot of the time between quality and compression/file size.

The "Ultra-HD" or "UHD" tracks described here have an average bit-rate of 3730kbps. While the AAC format would max out at 2304kbps, and the SBC limit will vary, this may not play the HD quality that Amazon are forecasting here. 

When the system can't play at the limit that is forecast, it will default to the next highest quality that can be played through the headset.

While this may not play at the highest quality that is forecast by Amazon, this would still be able to play at a high quality! Statistics can often be misleading or cause you to jump to conclusions about audio quality, and I would still recommend that you give this a listen to get a personal experience for this.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any questions at all!

Liam W - Community Support

View solution in original post

Daddyburns
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 29, 2019

What about through a wired connection, can you get a better / higher quality sound? 

sounds like Bluetooth compresses or is only limited to AAC etc. Assume wired doesn’t need to do this? Is it still limited?

cheers Db