Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 5, 2020

Bose QC35 ii turn off while using bluetooth connections on Windows PCs

Does anyone know why the QC 35 ii headphones go into standby when receiving audio from a Windows 10 PC?  My headphones go into standby even when there is audio / microphone usage.  I've bumped up the standby time, but that will also just kill my battery instead of actually solving the issue.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Bose QC35 ii turn off while using bluetooth connections on Windows PCs

Hey Rick,

That sounds odd! Has this always happened when using these headphones with your Windows 10 PC?

I can completely understand why you'd want to avoid draining battery life - sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused so far. Have you checked your headphones are up to date, by visiting the Bose updater site here?

Also, you may find it beneficial to give your headphones a reset, to resolve any minor issues. To go about this, try the steps HERE

Please let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 5, 2020

Thanks - I've updated and reset the headphones and it still reproduces.  I'm using Windows 10 1809 with Cisco Webex connected over bluetooth.

Highlighted

Just to clarify, you mentioned changing the standby time, does this stop the headphones from turning off when it is increased?

One thing that does happen with these headphones when used with some VoIP calls is due to the type of signal received, they do not always treat this in the same way as other audio signals. As such the standby timer will run, and they will turn off after the specified time as if they were not being used. 

Having the standby timer set longer or off completely will stop them from turning off unexpectedly and will in no way damage the battery, you can ensure the headphones turn off after use by using the Power/Bluetooth switch.

I hope this helps clarify this for you.

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 27, 2018

I'm not sure this is the exact same issue but I'll chime in.

I'm using my QC35ii with a new laptop with Windows 1909, fully patched. I also use it with an Pixel3XL with Android 10. I recently updated the OS on both of those devices - was running 1809 and v9, and did not have this problem.

The headset now disconnects Bluetooth after exactly 10 minutes and then it reconnects. So I can be in a phone call, and every 10 minutes it drops, reconnects, and the call goes on as before ... except where I have to say "stop, can you repeat everything after that last sentence? my Bose headset died again". To which my friends and colleagues ask "are you still using that?" Anyway...

I have the Windows Bluetooth driver set to not go into powersave mode. But if this were a Windows thing the exact same issue wouldn't be happening with Android.

So, what can I do to keep it from doing this drop/reconnect ... and why would such a thing occur?

Highlighted

Hello, 

Thanks for reaching out! Sorry you're having this experience with connectivity we would love to do what we can to help. 

Is it only on calls that your headphones switch off?

Have you tried any additional troubleshooting? If so, do let us know we wouldn't want to re-advise you. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 7, 2020

Hi, I have the same problem when in video conference which is problematic when I get suddenly disconnected. I understand the workaround with standby mode time change but it's a problem for me as I'd want to keep the standby timer to shorter times at certain times. Therefore changing the setting all the time is not great experience. I haven't had such problems when using Mac (I used the same video conference tools) by the way. So I can guess this can be fixed with software on Windows as well.

1. Could you kindly elaborate a little about the types of signals you mentioned please?

2. Also are there any plans to address this problem?

3. Any potential ETA?

thanks!

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Same issue here, however only when i am on calls. When just using bluetooth audio it all works well. When having a video call Windows switches to the "hands-free device". This somehow makes that the device seems to think that there is no activity going on, causing it to go into standby. 

It seems like a Windows issue to me, as i am having the exact same issue with my JBL Charge3.

Highlighted

Hi cornstr_86,

Thanks for reaching out. Please ensure that your headphones auto sleep timer is set to 'never' this should help prevent the headphones turning off whilst on video calls. You can alter this setting in the Bose Connect app under your product details. 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 22, 2020

Hi Tegan,

thanks for the feedback, but I don't think that should be the final solution to this problem (which was reported as early as October 2019; see: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC35-II-with-Skype-and-standby-timer/td-p/177...). Needless to say that I have the same issue with the QC 32 II in the Hands-Free Audio mode of Windows 10 (1903) regardless of the app used.

It would be nice to know if it is looked into by the Firmware devs at all.

Cheers,

Max Power