Highlighted
morten.bache
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2019

Bose QC35II connected via bluetooth to iPhone 8 the sound becomes mono

When connecting my Bose QC35II via bluetooth to my iPhone 8 (software version 13.1.3) the sound becomes mono. I believe it might be caused because they are connected as "headset", which uses a mono codec, and not as "headphones", which uses a stereo codec. 

Any help for this???

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Bose QC35II connected via bluetooth to iPhone 8 the sound becomes mono

Hello morten,bache,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I'm sorry to hear about this audio issue you are experiencing with your QC35 II's.

I would first recommend clearing the pairing list on your headphones. To do this, hold the Power/Bluetooth switch in the Bluetooth position for 10 seconds until you hear "Bluetooth device list cleared". Then, remove the QC35 II's from your iPhone 8's Bluetooth device list, including the LE- entry if applicable. Now please reconnect.

Let me know if the issue persists.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

morten.bache
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2019

Hello Charlotte,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I have tried that to no avail. Both the iPhone and the headset are updated with the latest drivers. 

When I connect to my ThinkPad X1 Carbon laptop running Win10, the bluetooth connection is working as it is supposed to. 

Br,

Morten

Hi morten.bache, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this! I am deeply sorry to hear that the steps above did not resolve this for you. 

When you are first connecting the headphones to the application are you connecting directly via Bluetooth firstly or are you using the Bose Connect App? Can you please also confirm how you are testing to see if the headphones are Stereo or Mono? 

A reset of the headphones may fix this for you, to do this simply: 

• Power off your product, then wait 30 seconds
  • Connect your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait five seconds
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the headset, then wait one minute
  • Power on your product.

I look forward to hearing back from you in regard to this and if any other users have had a similar experience please do let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

morten.bache
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2019

Hi

I have tried both connecting directly and via the Bose app. Same result. 

I test mono/stereo with a youtube video with L/R test sounds. Works when I connect through my laptop. With my iPhone all sounds are centered, i.e. mono codec. 

I have tried the reset. I'm not sure it was successful. When I turned it on it immediately reconnected to my phone and computer? And it is still mono through the phone. 

Morten

Hello morten.bache,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

That is very strange that you are getting mono sound through your iPhone 8 and not your computer. It sounds like your iPhone has been set to output mono audio, you can check this in settings> General> Accessibility> Hearing> then make sure 'Mono Audio' is not selected. 

x3mono.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.1tYTVPbCje.png

I hope this helps, please let me know once you have checked this. 

Kindest regards,
Zoe C

morten.bache
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2019

Hi

Thanks for the tip. This was in fact set to mono, which is strange as I have never done this (I did not know such a setting even existed). 

The headphones now play in stereo.

Br,

Morten

Hello morten.bache,

Thanks for getting back to me, yes it is very strange and I am not sure why the phone sometimes defaults to this setting without you asking it to but good to know if this occurs again.

I am really glad that this has been resolved for you now, if you need any further assistance then please get back in touch.

Have a lovely day!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C