Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Bose QuietComfort 35 II - Right ear has static/crackling sound while in noise cancellation mode

Hello,

Recently the right ear for my Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones has been making a crackling/static noise when the headphones are put into noise cancellation mode. I've tried turning on the noise cancellation without any bluetooth connection, with connection, and with the AUX cord connected to my phone/PC. All attempts still have a loud static noise in the right ear while turned on. 

I wanted in inquire whether these headphones could be replaced/repaired or if there was a common fix to this problem. I purchased these headphones from Amazon back on 08/19/2018.

I've enjoyed these headphone almost every day the past year without a single issue up until recently. Before purchasing these headphones I used my Bose QuietComfort 15's for 4+ years without issue. I hope I can find a solution to this problem other than having to re-purchase another pair of headphones. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Bose QuietComfort 35 II - Right ear has static/crackling sound while in noise cancellation mode

Hello APrasch, 

Thanks, for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am so sorry to hear that you are having issues with your QC35 II headphones but I would love to help you to resolve them. Could you please try the following steps and let me know how you get on?

• Go to btu.bose.com on a computer and update your headphones software.
  • Perform a product reset, to do this, turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds and then plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds. After that unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute once you have completed this turn the headset back on.

Should you still have issues after completing these steps please can you confirm the following for me: 

1. Does this noise appear when noise canceling is off? 
  2. Have the headphones been dropped recently? 
  3. Does this happen in all environments or just certain ones?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2020

Re: Bose QuietComfort 35 II - Right ear has static/crackling sound while in noise cancellation mode

Hi Vicky W,

I have (had) the exact same issue as aPrasch. But a reset did not work in my case.

To answer your questions. 

1. Does this noise appear when noise canceling is off? No, only with high and low noise canceling.
  2. Have the headphones been dropped recently? no.
  3. Does this happen in all environments or just certain ones? Yes.

I hope you have other solutions I can try. Thank you in advance.

firmware: 4.5.2.

serial no.  ----

Bose QuietComfort 35 Series II

Fabrication date:  July 27th 2019

Joost

[Moderator edit]

Highlighted

Hello Joost_89, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

Thank you so much for providing all of that information. It was a great idea trying the reset, I am sorry that it did not work. I would suggest we try updating the headphones. We can do this via http://btu.bose.com. If this proves unsuccessful, let's try: 

• Making sure the connected device is grounded. When connected to an ungrounded device, such as a computer or TV, it is possible for the headset to produce a humming sound. If possible, disconnect the device from power to eliminate this noise when listening, or find a grounded power outlet.
  • Try connecting a different audio device. If available, connect another audio device using the same cables and connections to determine if the issue is related to the first device or its settings.

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 20, 2020

I too am having a crackling sound in the right ear. This occurs only when the noise cancellation feature is activated. 

I've updated the headset.

I've rest the headset

All to no avail 😞 

Highlighted

Hi pbkdenver,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you are also getting this crackling sound and I would be happy to help with this.

Have you tried all the troubleshooting mentioned higher in the thread?

If so and you are still getting this sound on all devices, I would recommend getting in touch with your local support team, as they will be able to help you resolve this issue. You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 9, 2020

I have the SAME issue.

Tried resets and product updates.

The Bose support website says my 18 month old headphones are 6 months out of their warranty. So they're offering the "generous" deal to allow me to replace these for the discount of... $200.

So glad that I spent $350 on what was supposed to be a high quality, lasting piece of hardware. This is nuts. I should not have to pay hundreds more dollars to replace a defective product when that product is marketed as the highest quality brand in the market.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 13, 2020

You are not alone, I've tried every troubleshoot method. This seems to be a VERY common issue among QC35 owners.

Ive had the static crackling sound in my left ear cup since the day I purchased the headphones. It wasn't too bad in the beginning so I dealt with it, now it has gotten progressively worst. The only way to fix it was to turn the device off/on until it goes away (sometimes 20x), this truly ruins a listening experience. 

Bose is offering a replacement set for $200, I'll gladly pass and choose another brand. 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 4, 2020

Same issues here as mentioned above. Sometimes it will go away, but the only fix is completely disabling the NC feature.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 25, 2020

Are people having this issue with the QC 35 II? If so, this is very worrying. 

I've been having the exact same issue on my first generation QC35s since not long after I got mine - static in the right earcup when NC is turned on. I too put up with it at the beginning, because it was sporadic, but it's constant now. All environments, all software up to date, the only thing that stops it is turning off NC, which can only be done though the iPhone/Android app, and isn't a "sticky" setting, so you have to do it each time you turn your headphones on. And obviously NC is the the reason for spending good money on a pair of Bose headphones in the first place.

I'm going to contact local support, but if the solution is merely a discount on a new set, I'd rather spend the money on another brand, given that this appears to be a specific fundamental flaw affecting a host of users - and if it's still happening on the QC 35 II, then it's something Bose hasn't fixed even in the new version, so there's no guarantee that replacing them with a new set will fix the issue.