CLS
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Bose QuietComfort II - Poor Bluetooth range?

I have plans to buy a Bose QuietComfort II. I have read that the Bluetooth range is not good on this model. If you own this headphone model, would you recommend me to buy it?

Is it true that if you put your phone in front left pocket that you will lose the connection?

3 REPLIES 3
cesarv
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Re: Bose QuietComfort II - Poor Bluetooth range?

Yes, it is true. I owned this model before and I had terrible connectivity issues with two sets, especially when keeping my phone in my front left pocket (which sucks, because I am left handed). I ended up returning them and getting my money back.

When the NC700 came out here in Sweden, I got a pair on day one. Overall they're very good headphones, but a couple of issues made me test the QC35 II to see if they were working basically the same and thus avoid wasting money (I don't like the fact that these headphones suck at blocking wind noise, unlike the QC, and that they can make a clunky noise when walking).

Well, guess what? I purchased and tested a pair of QC35 II for a few days... on the third day I was already having very bad connectivity issues. I was at a stop waiting for the bus and put my phone in my left pocket with my hand holding the phone. I turned my head slightly to the right and the connection broke so badly I had to test it several times before the bus arrived, getting the same result every time. The next day I tested the NC700 the same way and this issue wasn't present at all; although a few days later I got it on these too but it didn't last long and happened only once... couldn't reproduce it afterwards. Needless to say, I returned them and kept the NC700.

So no, do NOT buy the QC35 II. I own an iPhone XS, for which the AAC codec is used, and iirc this codec is heavier on data transmission than the aptX codec. Mix that with Bluetooth 4.X and you won't get very good results with a poor software implementation (which, based on what I've seen from Bose, wouldn't surprise me). But perhaps you won't get this issue (or at least often) with an Android phone as the codec most likely used would be aptX.

SomeThrowawayUsername
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 11, 2019

I had used the QC35 II's for a short while, before returning them for this reason.  When my phone was in my (left) pocket, the sound would sometimes just start cutting out.  In fact, I'm having similar problems with the new NC 700's, and will likely be returning them as well.

Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@CLS 

There have been reports of connectivity issues here including this thread, but that does not mean or imply imho that those issues are happening to everyone or even a majority of the users.  I have an iPhone 7+ and a QC35ii AE and have never had a single issue of connectivity or skipping.  I use it regularly both for making phone calls and for playing music resident on my phone (with the Ecoute app).  I have also used the headphones regularly when flying with ANC on which has no issues muffling out the engine noise.  I can walk about 30 feet away from my phone before I lose my bluetooth connection.

So I know there are some number of unhappy customers out there but since those who come here have 'issues', there is really no way to tell without independent statistics, the fraction of happy to unhappy users.  I am personally currently in the happy camp and suggest that happy could be in the majority.