Anubarak
Participant
Registered since

Jan 27, 2021

Bose SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphones no sound on Windows 10 when not in Hands-Free mode

Bose product name

Bose® SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphones Single Black

Country

Germany

Firmware Version

App Version

14.0 (latest)

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on 

Lenovo VivoBook Pro with Windows 10

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

When I pair my device with my PC there are 2 different devices in my settings

• Stereo
  • Hands-Free AG Audio

(my device is called Kali)

image.png

While the Hands-Free version works, the Stereo version does not play any sound. However when I try the same in the "old" system settings the test works indeed (but still does not play any sound from anywhere else)

image.png

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

It worked when I got the headset about 2 years ago but started to break in summer 2020. I thought it might be related to a hidden Windows update so I waited for a fix after I searched hours and hours in the internet.

Any troubleshooting steps you took

I tried to reconnect the device, delete all Bluetooth devices from my PC, reinstall everything but I still can only hear sound from Hands-Free mode and the quality is really bad. Is there any way to enable the Stereo mode for my PC?

Thank you very much

6 REPLIES 6
Vicky_W

Re: Bose SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphones no sound on Windows 10 when not in Hands-Free mode

Hello Anubarak, 

Welcome to the community! 

I would love to help you to get your SoundLinks set up with your Windows machine. I have had a look and Microsoft seems to have some great troubleshooting we can start with. Check out the steps here and let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Anubarak
Participant
Registered since

Jan 27, 2021

Re: Bose SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphones no sound on Windows 10 when not in Hands-Free mode

Thanks for your reply and your help. I already saw that link before I asked this question and it did not work.

Method 1: Use the Audio Troubleshooter

Does tell me there are no issues with the device, it tells me to open my device settings with the old system settings in windows 10 where it can play the test sound without any issues.

Method 2: Check if you get other options apart from Configure option to set the Bluetooth device as default device.
If yes, then set it as a default device and check if it helps.

-> that was the case from the beginning.

Method 3: Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.
Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

-> same again, everything is alright here, no issues were found.

Update After a couple of hours ferreting around ....

- Was looking through Other Microsoft Bose Bluetooth Headphone issues logged. 

- From other notes It appears that the bluetooth headphones wont work with the standard driver on Window 10. ie: It needs to support higher quality sound.

- Using the link above (which is a general info document by BOSE) it references another link to a BOSE Speaker driver update.

- I deleted the previous pairing which hadn't worked.

- I then ran the Speaker Driver update although exited the program after the driver was complete as the remaining part of the execution related to Bose speakers - not headphones.

- After this I was able to get really good sound through the headphones

I also reinstalled my device several times but I was not able to find any drivers there. Maybe I'm missing something

Charlotte_G

@Anubarak Thanks for going through these steps. I just want to check, do you have any problems when connected to any other devices?

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Anubarak
Participant
Registered since

Jan 27, 2021

@Charlotte_G Hello, thank you for your answer. I don't have access to another PC and it works fine on my smartphone. But it's only listed as one device there.

I searched all around the internet in the past 6 months but I could not find any topic that describes a problem like mine.

Charlotte_G

@Anubarak No problem! Thanks for letting me know. Do you have the SoundLink Around-Ear Bluetooth Headphones, or the SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless II headphones?

Although you cleared the Bluetooth list from your PC, could you please also clear the pairing list on your headphones? 

If you have the SoundLink Around-Ear Bluetooth Headphones - Simultaneously press and hold the Multifunction and Volume – buttons for 10 seconds until a tone is heard.

If you have the SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless II headphones - hold the switch in the Bluetooth position for 10 seconds until you hear "Bluetooth device list cleared". 

Then be sure to delete the headphones from the Bluetooth list on your PC once again before reconnecting.

Let me know if this changes anything.

Anubarak
Participant
Registered since

Jan 27, 2021

Edit 2 TL/DR: finally solved it.. for whatever strange reasons, when I activate the Stereo Mode all sounds in this windows go to zero and none application plays sound

Anubarak_0-1612424255208.png

When I manually turn it up again it works. Quite strange because it only showed "the main sound" and I never turnd those off manually.

@Charlotte_G Unfortunately there are still no changes.

I deleted my device from the bluetooth list of my PC and unsynced it via holding the pairing button for about 10 seconds until it said everything is deleted. In my Bose app of the Smartphone all devices were instandly deleted as well.

After that I added is as a Bluetooth device on my PC, Hands Free mode was automatically activated and when I switched to stereo mode no sound was played outside of the Windows 10 system settings sound test, no errors/issues were found via troubleshooting

Edit: tested some other apps and scenarios and for whatever strange reason I can hear sound from the VLC player. I don't how or why that's possible. But no other player, program or the Windows system sounds work. When I remove the headset or use hands free mode or use another headset (not from Bose) everything works. I don't have other Bose devices to test it.