Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 29, 2019

Re: Bose Soundlink II around ear wireless: Microphone not working

Does anybody have an update our solution for this issue?

It's looking like a serious defect.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi RCrowt,

Thanks for reaching out. If you are having issues with your microphone and followed all the troubleshooting steps, I would recommend contacting your local support team using the link provided by @Joel_D.

Warm Regards,

Tony G

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

@Jake Wilmot-Sitwell wrote:
Brand new headphones, straight out the box.

When taking calls or using the microphone on iPhone X, the sound quality from the microphone is extremely muffled.

Is this normal? How can I fix it? I need the microphone as I take a lot of calls using my headphones.

I had the same issue. Bought the last pair at Best Buy less than two weeks ago and within a couple of hours had found out the microphone "worked" like that. 

I got in touch with Bose Support and they sent a replacement within a week, which I cannot stress this enough, that Bose support is very good and seems to accommodate very quickly. However, when I got my replacement pair yesterday, I quickly found out that it was the same issue as before. 

Enter this forum. 

I searched for the same issue and low and behold it's a very common one. So, I went back to Best Buy, as they had suggested going with a different brand, which I am sad to say I did. 

I am quite upset about this because they boasted a high-quality microphone setting and, although I had used these headphones for a couple of days, the sound is unrivaled (in my unprofessional-but-musically-talented opinion), and I was very happy with how they fit and looked, the microphone is what I also bought them for and it let me down. I cannot justify owning a product that requires the equivalent of yelling into both of my ears so someone else can barely hear me on the other end. 

For the record, I did do all the troubleshooting that was recommended online and by a Bose support rep. 

If this issue were to be resolved, whether it is with a software update or with a recall with better circuitry (I'm assuming the microphone is electrically tied into the volume button) I would definitely return my now current "other-than-Bose" brand and replace with these again. I loved everything about them, aside from the microphone issue, which was a big one for me. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

If you follow my last entries you will see I had the same trouble and did all the 'tests' they recommended and finally they sent me a packing slip and paid for return shipping and replaced the faulty pair with another pair they said would be 'tested' by their engineers. I was skeptical, but received the replacement pair and their microphone is working fine. The only glitch is that someitmes they don't connect via bluetooth immediately on the first phone call of the day. Once their connected the sound is very clear.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

@catiehmb wrote:

If you follow my last entries you will see I had the same trouble and did all the 'tests' they recommended and finally they sent me a packing slip and paid for return shipping and replaced the faulty pair with another pair they said would be 'tested' by their engineers. I was skeptical, but received the replacement pair and their microphone is working fine. The only glitch is that someitmes they don't connect via bluetooth immediately on the first phone call of the day. Once their connected the sound is very clear.

Maybe I'll try that, then. I already had a replacement pair that I received from Bose and it was the same thing.

I'm also already considering returning my other-than-Bose headphones I got yesterday because they're WAY more uncomfortable than the Bose. I can deal with a small Bluetooth glitch at the beginning of the day.

Thanks for the tip. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 5, 2019

sjlsjl here. I would like to give an update.
Bose did the exchange, the new one works for me. At a comfortable sound level, my mic is clear. If lowering the volume to certain level, then mic muffled again. I feel that's as design. It seems there's a switch for the mic, which get turned on when the speaker volume reaches certain level. Somebody mentioned bose allows you hear your own voice by some means. This could be because of it. I think I do hear my own voices while talking. Thanks.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

@Sjlsjl wrote:
sjlsjl here. I would like to give an update.
Bose did the exchange, the new one works for me. At a comfortable sound level, my mic is clear. If lowering the volume to certain level, then mic muffled again. I feel that's as design. It seems there's a switch for the mic, which get turned on when the speaker volume reaches certain level. Somebody mentioned bose allows you hear your own voice by some means. This could be because of it. I think I do hear my own voices while talking. Thanks.

I did notice that as well. Every time I had the mic on I could hear anything else that was going on around me.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

Mr. Tony_G, 

I was wondering if you could look into whether or not this is a design flaw or purposefully designed to do this?

Highlighted

Hi r1zd1Z! 

Thanks for reaching out! 

I can assure you that the mic issue is not something this normal with out headphones and if anyone is having the issue we recommend contacting Bose support. 

The Hearing of yourself when on a call is deliberate and is called SideTone. It allows you to adjust the volume of your voice as the ear cushions may block out some of the sound! 

I hope this helps! 

Jessie - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

@Jessie_O wrote:

Hi r1zd1Z! 

Thanks for reaching out! 

I can assure you that the mic issue is not something this normal with out headphones and if anyone is having the issue we recommend contacting Bose support. 

The Hearing of yourself when on a call is deliberate and is called SideTone. It allows you to adjust the volume of your voice as the ear cushions may block out some of the sound! 

I hope this helps! 

Jessie - Community Support

Thanks for confirming Jessie, It helps immensely, however, I believe it may be a much larger problem, considering I just received a third pair (in exchange for the other-than-Bose headphones I thought were uncomfortable) and they have the same issue. So that's a three for three. I'm going to stick with it and contact support and see what can be done.