Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

Re: Bose Soundlink II around ear wireless: Microphone not working

Same issue here on a brand new pair that I got on Saturday. Contacted Bose Ireland support via email. Let's see what they come back with.

I suspect that there is an issue with the latest production batch, given this issue just now popped up and those headphones have been on the market for a lot longer. Maybe the changed a few components. Mine have a production date of Dec 17th, 2018.

Also there hasn't been a recent firmware update in the past 6 month that could have caused this. The last FW update was to 2.5.3 realeased on July 12th, 2018.

Let's hope Bose Ireland/UK still has some from an older production batch on stock that they could send me.

Regrads,

Max

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

@Jessie_O wrote:

Hi r1zd1Z! 

Thanks for reaching out! 

I can assure you that the mic issue is not something this normal with out headphones and if anyone is having the issue we recommend contacting Bose support. 

The Hearing of yourself when on a call is deliberate and is called SideTone. It allows you to adjust the volume of your voice as the ear cushions may block out some of the sound! 

I hope this helps! 

Jessie - Community Support

Jessie,

I believe I have found the issue, and this could be all around, but I haven't contacted support yet because I just got a new phone. 

As I've read above, there might have been differences in connectivity between devices. While this is a generalized statement, I also believe I have taken it a step further and (although I could be wrong) found out that the issue pertains to the version of Bluetooth connectivity. 

I had a Samsung Galaxy S6 which has a BT 4.1 LE (I'm not exactly sure what electronically goes into these chips since my knowledge of electronics is limited) an iPhone 5 which has BT 4.0, and a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with BT 4.0.

The headphones have a BT 4.0, however, my new Samsung Galaxy S8 phone has BT 5.0.

My theory is that the connectivity of the device has to be later than that of the headphones, and anything in the 4.0 range disrupts circuitry in the HP's causing the microphone to cut out when the volume is lowered past around 65% (which is where I pinned it to).

Again, it's just a theory, but if there were confirmation on this it might ease some suspicions and potentially halt people returning the product when it might not actually be defective.

Thanks again, and looking forward to finding the answer to this problem

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi R1zd1z, 

Many thanks for providing this information. We appreciate all feedback provided by the community and hopefully this information will help others. 

Have a great day

Leon_C - Community Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 21, 2019

I just received my second pair (sent my first pair back because of this microphone issue) three days ago. The second pair also has an inoperable microphone below a certain threshold. Is Bose planning on fixing this? I've read through the thread and the Bose Customer Support moderators haven't offered anything in terms of a fix. If there is no planned fix, I'm going to want to get my money back so I can buy something from a competitor. First, does anyone have a pair that actually work? Second, has anyone had any luck getting their money back if requested?

Highlighted

Hi cfl2585, 

Thank you for reaching out again. 

I'm sorry to hear of your continued issues with your headphones. 

I would recommend double checking that the software is up to date, the instructions for this can be found HERE

If that is unsuccessful, I would recommend contacting your local support centre again for your options. 

I hope you have a great day!

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 5, 2019

The threshold seems to be as design. If that threshold is not too loud for your ear, I recommend to keep it.
My first one is too loud. The replaced 2nd one is reasonable, so I keep it. It seems the speaker volume needs to reach certain level before the mic becomes clear, at least for my experience.
Highlighted

Hi Sjlsjl, 

Thank you for posting!

This is certainly useful to know and hopefully it helps others in the community. 

I hope you have a great day!

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 21, 2019

Thanks for the workaround, but that still means it doesn’t work as advertised. Jessie, again, is there a fix?
Highlighted

Hi Cfl2585, 

Thanks for posting!

Try the update in the post above using the link.

If you are still experiencing issues, please reach out to your local service centre for more options. 

I hope this helps! Have great day!

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

This issue stil exists for this headphones and there still is no solution.  Do not waste your time calling customer service, their only options are to replace your headphones with a new pair (which will do the same thing) or tell you to update and reboot (which also won't work).  The volume of the mic is very clearly tied to the overall volume of the headphones for some reason and Bose is either incapable or uninterested in fixing it.  This community thread is proof, no good ideas and no solutions.  I'm taking mine back to Best Buy and buying something non-Bose.