r1zd1z
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

Re: Bose Soundlink II around ear wireless: Microphone not working

@DinoKev wrote:

Well I paired the headphone with both my iPhone 5 and iPhone Xr and I am still having the exact same mic problem on both devices. iPhone 5 comes with the older bluetooth 4.0 while iPhone Xr which came out less than a year ago comes with the latest bluetooth 5.0 technology. So i doubt it has anything to do with bluetooth version as it does not work with even the latest bluetooth version, unless someone is trying to argue that even the latest bluetooth version is not good enough for this pair of headphones

btw @r1zd1z your post above sounded a bit like victim blaming

Um...okay. My apologies. In no way was I attacking or blaming you for anything. The point still stands in that if the hardware does not support a lesser version, it won't work. 

I can't say why it wouldn't work for the BT 5.0, because, in my experience, with any type of device that was less than BT 5.0, it would not work. As you may have read in my above posts, I did exchange my original and return the next pair of headphones, but it did not change my opinion of Bose that they don't make a good quality pair of headphones. 

In my experience, the 5.0 worked. I may be wrong with this conclusion, but in the evidence and "data" I "collected", it proved to be true. I replied to this because I try to see that there is always a reason for things. No, the mic problem is not designed, but it could be an unfortunate side effect of more efficient design with the appropriate programming. 

Yes, it is annoying, and yes, if I still had the problem, I might not have the headphones, although I did conclude that the comfort outweighed the mic flaw, that is also my own personal opinion and weighted decision. If you have a different opinion or are unable to figure out a solution for yourself, please be my guest and take them back. 

Again, if I have offended you, I am sorry, it was not my intent. I was merely stating that technology changes and some devices eventually and simply cease to be compatible.

powderschwein
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

Regarding r1zd1z,

If you believe the headphones are in perfect working order, then I guess you haven't read the past 7 pages of people having the exact issue no matter what platform, BlueTooth, or version of the operating system is used. Where is the common sense in this matter? or maybe something is coming your way for posting such a positive reply on a product with such obvious issues.

r1zd1z
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

@powderschwein wrote:

Regarding r1zd1z,

If you believe the headphones are in perfect working order, then I guess you haven't read the past 7 pages of people having the exact issue no matter what platform, BlueTooth, or version of the operating system is used. Where is the common sense in this matter? or maybe something is coming your way for posting such a positive reply on a product with such obvious issues.

First of all, I don't believe my headphones are in working order, I know they are, because I have not had one issue since I upgraded to a Samsung S8. Secondly as I stated above, yes, I am aware I could not be on the right track, it is just my observations, and no I have not read the past seven pages of complaints. Maybe I am a lucky person that received a product that just magically fixed itself.

Thirdly, if I didn't know any better, I'd say your last statement sounded: a) like you were implying that I am being paid by by Bose to write bogus reviews, or b) like you are threatening me.

I know for a fact that the first point is not true and it's up to you to decide if the second point is.

Either way, I'm finished with this thread, since it is neither informative nor constructive anymore. 

DinoKev
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 6, 2019

i think the reason most people are unhappy about Bose (myself included) is that this headphone is marketed by Bose that the mic is capable of doing "Crystal clear calls" (see description in the official bose website). When we bought the headphone, most of us found out that the mic is not capable of picking up speech clearly, in fact it's far from it. It can hardly pick up voices clearly.

Therefore I can clearly understand why this might put some people off from buying Bose products in future because they felt cheated. Whether it is a bluetooth issue or firmware issue, the bottom line is that bose did not make it clear that the mic will not work as described or will only work with whatever specific additional requirements. Therefore this is essentially false advertising.

I know this headphone is comfortable to wear and the sound quality when listening is good but it still doesn’t take away from the fact that there is a mic issue. As i mentioned in a previous post, the demo version in the store running an older firmware version works without problem when paired with my phone. Siri was able to pick up what I said with no issue. So i still think it is more of a firmware issue. Also @r1zd1z mentioned that it works with his Samsung S8 so it further proves the point. 

However, no matter what the root cause is i still think it is unfair for Bose to let customer having to figure it out for themselves instead of them being more proactive in working out with a fix or an explanation. That's why I am still waiting for Bose to come up with an answer.

IMG_3817.PNG

R@vi
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

Dino,

Adding to your comments, Even swapping the songs is not gr8. Everytime when I pause or change the track it takes atleast two seconds to perform the action. Overall I will not recommend this headset to anyone. 

Thanks 

Ravi 

Jowanbie
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

Let me add some hopefully useful information to this thread after messing around with this headsets for a few hours.

The mic volume is, like many here already discovered, controled by the main volume of the headsets, however, not linearly. 

The mic gets into one of four discrete modes, and it is only usable in three of the four modes:

On the iPhone, there are 16 levels of volumes:

level 0-8: mic is muffled. Very little sound is being captured. This is the failure cases that drives the people, including me to this thread.

level 9-12: mic works. I sound like I'm talking very closly to the mic.

level 13-14: mic works. I sound like I'm a bit further from the mic and talking in a room.

level 15-16: mic works. I sound like I'm in a cockpit talking to a walkie talkie.

assume the sound level control on the iPhone is linear, the mic only works when the main volume is set at greater than 60% of the maximum level.

It's kind of an inexplicable design. Can someone at Bose shine some light on why it has to be like this? Are there plans to improve this with firmware updates in the future?

Highlighted
Xoxol
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 5, 2019

I just purchased Bose Soundlink AE wireless II. The sound/music quality is very good. However, this is only half the job. I got these headphone, so I can make calls too and what originally caught my interest is the crystal clear part.

Suffice to say, the issue that I have experienced so far is either the mic works or it doesn't althogether (no muffle reports so far). Originally, I though the headphones were faulty so the customer service team has replaced them for me. Now I got a new pair and so far I have experienced:

1. I receive or make a call - the recipient cannot hear me at all. I switch the BT audio off and resume my call as normal (using phone mic).
  2. I receive or make a call - the recipient cannot hear me at all. I switch the BT audio off and resume my call as normal (using phone mic). Then in the middle of a call, I switch back BT audio and the call is transferred to my Bose headphones. The recipient hears me loud and clean (no muffle noise irrespective of the volume of the call).
  3. I receive or make a call - the recipient can hear me. However, a certain period passes and all of a sudden the recipient cannot hear me at all (in a middle of me speaking sometimes). I turn BT off and carry on the call as normal on my phone. I asked the recipient what happened and they respond "It was as if you were cut off. I could not hear you at all". It's almost as if the mic was hijacked or muted.

I initially though there might a phone issue or something goind wrong with the handshake agreement between my Samsung Galaxy S8. However, the same issues occur on my iPhone 8, so I cannot blame it on the phone.

The issue now sits with customer services. The CSA was unable to provide me a pragmatic solution. This will be looked at further and in the meanwhile I will try to work out what is causing this issue and hopefully provide them further info on it. Having scanned through the articles, there is quite a few of us in the same boat and will emphasise that to Bose customer support. I think collectively we can win this over and Bose will react by updating the firmware or whatever is causing this issue.

NEOISTHEONE
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 6, 2019

Bose Soundlink II around ear wireless: Microphone not working. Just purchased and very surprised this has not been resolved. I will not rehash to the best of my ability what has already been covered. Suffice to say I purchased these headphones primarily for use at work with my IPhone 8 as I am on the phone alot with clients. Regardless of volume level of phone my voice is faint to non-existent to the person I am conversing with on the other end. Called my landline to test and this verified what everyone I called was telling me. Could not hear my voice at all as if I was muted. Ok Bose. Time to step up to the plate and get this resolved. Been long enough!                                              

Tim1981
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

Got these for my son for his birthday today. Same issues as everyone else. I guess they will be taken back for another brand as Bose won’t fix the problem