geneous
Participant
Registered since

Sep 14, 2020

Bose USB Link Bluetooth Module for Headphones 700 #852270-0010 AAC Codec Support?

Recently got the USB Link module (I know I got lucky). Working great with Teams, Zoom, etc.. BUT the documentation does not indicate whether AAC is supported for music. And they don't sound as good with the module, as they do without it. Please confirm that there is no AAC support. 

6 REPLIES 6
Charlotte_G

Re: Bose USB Link Bluetooth Module for Headphones 700 #852270-0010 AAC Codec Support?

Hey @geneous, thanks for posting!

It's great to hear you're enjoying your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 with the USB Link Bluetooth Module. 

I can confirm that the Bluetooth codecs that are supported are AAC and SBC. It's strange that you've found the audio quality differs with and without the module. Are you comparing it when connected to the same computer? 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
geneous
Participant
Registered since

Sep 14, 2020

Re: Bose USB Link Bluetooth Module for Headphones 700 #852270-0010 AAC Codec Support?

Hi! Yes, my subjective experience is that the headphones sound better when connected directly to my computer. On the Mac, I know that it's using AAC b/c it shows the codec used under bluetooth devices while it's streaming. To corroborate that the dongle does not appear to support AAC, I connected it to FIIO's BTR3k device, and the device shows that it's streaming via SBC (it has a colored led that lights up different colors for different codecs). Is there any objective way to verify that AAC is being used? I did not see AAC on any of the related documentation. Thanks!

TorStar81
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 27, 2019

Have you tried updating the USB dongle using the Updater tool?

You can find it here: https://pro.bose.com/en_us/products/conferencing/headphones/headphones_accessories/usb-link-bluetoot...

harisundhar
Participant
Registered since

Jul 22, 2020

I received mine yesterday, updated using the firmware updater

1. the audio from youtube or any source cracks continously. teams does not.

2. the range is like not more than 15-20 feet for youtube or any source from the PC. teams works fine.

it looks like this was only tested with teams ? 

harisundhar
Participant
Registered since

Jul 22, 2020

When I am on a call(teams) and have youtube running, the audio quality of youtube is amazing with no cracks. 

theirongiant
Participant
Registered since

Aug 16, 2020

Hi @Charlotte_G , I have my USB Link right now.  What this user is referring to is that the USB Link switches to "narrow band" mono audio within a few seconds after connecting, and unfortunately stays that way until the USB Link is disconnected.  This is what people might hear if they were on an active call.  The problem is, there is no active call.  

The audio should only switch to 'call mode' with narrow band mono audio when an application wants to do a voice call.  I have used other USB "Unified Connection" systems for work, such as the Plantronics BT600, and the device is smart enough to switch back to stereo wideband when calls are completed.  The Bose USB Link does not appear to be doing this.

I have updated the headphones to 1.7.0.  Is there something else to try, or do we need to wait for Bose to update the USB Link firmware?

I'm on a Mac, if that helps.