camerony
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 20, 2019

Re: Bose are lying - QC35 II ANC is not the same as previous firmwares.

The demo unit at the Target store ANC was fantastic, which probably hasn't been updated.   The new one with the firmware upgrade definitely is not the same as the demo unit.  We have already returned them for a replacemnt to the store and had the same issue with ANC. 

We will be returning the replacements as well, if they don't fix it.  I also agree around the theory that they broke the ANC to drum up sales for the new 700.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@DraftoLarge (relatively speaking) technology companies move in slow and mysterious ways 🙂 (I am not a Bose employee)
1. The admins here are doing what they can to pass on information but they can not pass on what they don't have.

2. The admins pass things up as stated

3. Other technical and Bose management people do lurk here even if we don't hear from them.  I know that for a fact since once, I made a post and was personally contacted by Bose non-Admin about it 20 minutes after the post.

4. Bose does not make individual fixes.  It is done through model hardware changes and firmware updates.  My experience in the last year or so is that these updates happen perhaps 3 or so times a year.

5. When the firmware comes out, we will have no idea what the changes are except through our usage and experience of using the QC35ii since all Bose will say for the update changes is "bug fixes".

So the QC-35ii firmware just updated to 4.5.2 in the last few days.  All we found out is 'bug fixes'.  Did it fix your problem?  You won't get that answer from Bose, the only thing you can do to verify if it was fixed or not is try out your QC35ii after the firmware update.  And remember, once you upgrade there is no way to go back/undo it.

Vin Dante
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 20, 2019

I work in the software industry. I know how it works and believe me if someone wants to find a fix they can find and release a fix on the same day, that they are ineffective is not acceptable no matter their size. The first step is to stop pushing the software to new users (I got notified to update the firmware today only) - these are not necessary updates - full release can wait until they fixe issues. A simple way to deal with it is also to provide a rollback tool - none of this is either complicated or non-standard. It is the least they could and should do.
mcasey6747
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 20, 2019

Chiming in to say there are definitly issues with 4.5.2. 

Please just let us downgrade (preferably through the app) so we don't have to go to a computer to do it.

Thank you.

4_low
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 20, 2019

I will add my opinion on this subect.

I work in an area with white noise generators and previous to the firmware update I couldn't hear any white noise with ANC on High. After the update, I can now hear the white noise with ANC on high.

So basically firmware update=Fail.

Not a good way to motivate folks to buy future bose products.

FYI, I currently have a pair of QC20 wired headphones also, so a large investment in Bose products.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Vin DanteI I get it.  While I am now in the film industry, I spent 30 years in IT working with technology companies as a very large oil company technology assessor.  I got to see many different approaches to software updates both from software companies and hardware companies.  Each company had it's own approach, there were often many 'commonalities', and of course, they most all paid attention to the expenses and potential profitable benefits for making updates.

So I agree with your comments though I am not sure how it could currently pertain to Bose.  In fact, I am not sure whether to be pro or con in this discussion so I will be neither and make some personal observations from being here regularly since last Fall and my own interaction with Bose.

1. The Bose people I have talked to both here and in Framingham are very excited about their products and want to 'get it right'.  They don't often say that publically but I believe that from talking to them.

2. We are customers and while we vote with our dollars and make comments and observations here, we can't really impact the Bose internal company culture - I believe that comes from within

3. Bose is a hardware company and not a software company.  The firmware exists soley to support the hardware.  The initial firmware released with hardware products is what a hardware company commits to in the design phase and profit (versus expense) expectations.  All future releases are support related and come out of a totally different budget often considered 'overhead' (with little to no expectation of an increased revenue stream).

4. Most of those who come here represent a tiny fraction of the customer population.  I don't have statistical data, but my gut tells me that percentage wise, very few customers for any product will ever upgrade the firmware - they will continue to use whatever firmware the product was purchased with.  I can suggest that the same holds true for the firmware, say for purchased wide screen TVs.  I have never in the 8 years of owning my Prius, updated the maps on my navigation system.  I have never upgraded the firmware for any of my digital cameras.  My wife has never upgraded the ios on her iPhone, etc.  One could 'debate' the percentage, but I bet companies like Bose assume that and so unless there is external pressure or an 'extreme' situation, the budget to upgrade firmware for a released product, decreases over time from the release.
5. Bose is somewhat unique in that they have software that tries to push out a firmware upgrade.  Most users will simply accept that upgrade (assuming they even use Bose Connect which itself may never happen).  This is a design philosophy at Bose imho - it's not going to change.

6. Bose has made a decision to support only firmware upgrades.  No retrogrades.  We can be 'dissatisfied' with it but again, it is a corporate design philosophy - probably dictated by the fact that firmware upgrade and support is probably considered an overhead expense and the cost to support multiple firmware was probably considered excessive.  Now one could argue that there are already multiple versions of supported firmware for a single product out there as every product matures and is sold over an extended period of time with different firmware releases.  But this 'issue' has been discussed here for part of 2018 and all of 2019 and that Bose may look at it differently since they are also considering the design and support of a distribution scheme for multiple firmware releases - and that has a judged cost/expensive even if previous firmware releases are still being used.  Point here - we can continue to 'observe' but that train has left the station.

7. Keeping in mind that Bose is in the hardware business and not software business, they look at software differently, I am guessing.  Single changes are not likely to happen - it is probably too expensive to develop, change, test and release firmware that way - especially with the broad scope of bluetooth hardware from so many different vendors on the other end to test against.  Could they do it differently.  Possibly - consider the Apple and Google models that make it real easy (and frequent) to update and distribute software.  But think of two things for those scenarios: (1) the software vendors for those platforms are really not that different on upgrading - once you upgrade, you can't (simply/easily) go back to the previous version and (2) they are in the business of software (mostly).  Certainly Bose could do more frequent updates like the Apple App store, but again I am guessing, they have a fixed amount of engineering resources and have to allocate them.  Should they work on firmware for new and as yet unrelease products that will generate revenue or should they work on firmware for already released hardware that will not generate additional revenue?  It's not either - or, but I bet that the allocation proportions are often made by available talent and skills, project timelines for new products, severity decisions for issues around existing products, and possibly even the interest/need to test out new functionality (such as AR) on existing products before functionality commitments on new ones.

Cisco
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/quietcomfort-35-ii-qc35-ii-wireless-2018

Update 06/21/2019: After multiple online reports of the ANC being worse after the 4.5.2 software update, we retested our unit. The ANC is indeed slightly worse by about 4dB in the bass and mid ranges. The score and text have been adjusted.

Well!

Drafto
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jun 10, 2019

@Cisco wrote:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/quietcomfort-35-ii-qc35-ii-wireless-2018

Update 06/21/2019: After multiple online reports of the ANC being worse after the 4.5.2 software update, we retested our unit. The ANC is indeed slightly worse by about 4dB in the bass and mid ranges. The score and text have been adjusted.

Well!

Thank you - was about to post this.

@Jessie_OWell there is is, can't say there was no changes to ANC now. Now can you please revert the ANC back to what it was [Edited by Moderator] . We expect a reply asap.

thanks

Hi Drafto, 

Thanks for posting and thank you for making us aware of your concerns. 

I have raised this to our development team and they will be looking into this further, I don't have any further information on this at this moment in time and will update this thread as soon as we know more. I appreciate your patience regarding this.

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Drafto
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jun 10, 2019

Hi @Hector_B 

Thank you for replying - but I think all our patience is wearing very thin - it's been a week now with no real updates. You know we're all aware of the decrease in dB levels in the ANC so we were all expecting a fix on this sooner than a week, but here we are. We all bought these headphones for the ANC, without that, they don't really have any worth.