Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Persason
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 2, 2019

Bose is Taking the Wrong Direction and can Quickly make Themselves Obsolete

Bose is taking the wrong direction and can quickly make themselves obsolete if they don’t step it up… Here is my subjective take on why, which I hope Bose will read and take it into consideration for the coming future.

For many years Bose has been KING of active noise cancelling (ANC) technology, and their QC 35 dominated the market for many years. They have great comfort, sound great, and have excellent ANC. The QC35 had no competition and apparently Bose decided that their market dominance gave them merit to invest little to no money into research and development (R&D) for new ANC headsets.

The competition (thankfully) managed to catch up to Bose especially with Sony’s WH-1000XM3s, which are superior in terms of ANC (this is not for discussion just look at the attenuation graphs).

How does Bose respond? With the Headphones 700 of course. A somewhat hastily developed product shipped as their response to Sony. They look sweet, but beyond that they are hardly a step up from the QC35s. They don’t even fold and therefore take up much more space than the Sony’s. The ANC has hardly improved over the QC35 and is still far behind the Sony’s. They are not too comfortable either due to their excessive clamping force, unlike the QC35 and even Sony's. Even Bose could not justify calling these the QC45 as that would wreck the quiet comfort line, understandably so. They are sup par compared to the Sony’s on many important aspects and still cost more?

Perhaps instead of spending R&D money into useless sunglasses with speakers and speakers you wear around your neck (what the hell?) Bose should focus on the essentials… I am looking forward to the QC45 which I have high expectations for when they drop in a year or two.

I love Bose products in general and the Bose signature sound so I would rather have the company deliver on par products rather than sub-par products in the headphone competition. Competition is good for us consumers.

I hope this reaches marketing/R&D team.

4 REPLIES 4
Christopher.M
Participant
Registered since

Mar 15, 2019

Re: Bose is Taking the Wrong Direction and can Quickly make Themselves Obsolete

Great post
As a person who bought QC35 II right before NC700 announcement I really have no regrets.
There is something wrong with the 700s as you said in your post. I really hope that Bose didn't kill the LEGENDARY QuietComfort headphones (it might sound ridiculous but after all these years the QC headphones have become a legend among ANC headphones). I still believe that they're working on QC45s which would kill the 1000XM4s and other ANC headphones. Bose used to be the absolute king of ANC till the XM3s came along. I hope Bose won't let Sony take their crown away from them

Christopher.M
Participant
Registered since

Mar 15, 2019

What about the QuietComfort headphones?

Hello
I have a pretty important question

Are the QuietComfort headphones dead? Will there be QC45s in the future? The NC700 desn't look like the true successor to the QC35. More like a quick response to the announcement of Sony 1000XM3. What happened? Bose used to be the absolute king of ANC and QuietComfort headphones used to be one of their most important products

Vicky_W

Re: What about the QuietComfort headphones?

@Christopher.M, thanks for reaching out. Great question! I am sorry but I do not have any updates about a new pair of QC's, but we are always expanding our product database, so sign up to our emails for all future product updates! Have you given the NC 700's a try? They are super awesome!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Christopher.M
Participant
Registered since

Mar 15, 2019

Re: What about the QuietComfort headphones?

Thanks for replying. I have bought a pair of QC35 IIs a moment before the NC700 arrived and they are a great pair of headphones. I've read a couple of reviews about the 700 and most of them suggest that there is not a huge difference between these two. I have only tried the NC 700 for a moment in a shop and they were pretty cool but there are some design choices that are not for me. The 700s felt less comfortable and I prefer the looks of QC35s. Touch controls are quite controversial too, I like physical buttons. The 700s are definitely a great pair of headphones too but I think that lots of people like me love the classic look and feel of the QuietComfort headphones. I'm gonna stick with my QuietComforts for a few years, hoping that there will be QC45s available when I'll need to buy new ANC headphones. I'll be looking forward to new announcements from Bose