Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 19, 2020

Bose qc 35 ii anc issue

Hello,

I have a pair of Bose qc 35 ii which I purchased recently about 2-3 months ago. Everything was working fine until 3 days back. Now, whenever the headphone is in high ANC mode, I can hear the "wind" from the fan in both the earcups. The noise does not occur if I use the product in Low ANC Mode. Even if I try to wave my hand near the earcups (in High ANC Mode), still I can hear the sound of the air outside. The noise cancellation is reducing a lot of noise from outside, so I guess it is working. But in High ANC Mode, it is picking up some sound from the microphone I think. I have tried resetting the device. I downgraded my firmware from 4.5 to 4.3.  I again upgraded it to 4.5 Nothing was able to fix the issue. Can anyone help me please?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Bose qc 35 ii anc issue

@shantanubharatia(I don't work for Bose).  I am guessing your ANC worked fine until you started messing around with firmware downgrades and upgrades.  This situation is 'known' and Bose did an extensive study last year culminating with a post describing their results and conclusions and an associated 'discussion' post which is still here for you to read.  Despite all the user observations about ANC issues, Bose concluded that none of their recent firmwares made changes to ANC and they never really came to a conclusion as to the cause or that there was even an 'anc issue'.  So Bose as far as I read here is 'done'.

There are two 'classes' of QC35ii's - those that seem to have an "ANC issue" and those (like mine) that don't.  Not even the customers here have ever been able to definitively prove the 'cause'.  I have upgraded (both ways) on my QC35ii to 4.5.2 twice and have no issues.  Others notice an issue as soon as they upgrade and neither upgrades or downgrades after that seem to be able to put things back.  So your 'mileage may vary'.

I personally still believe that the issue is neither strictly the firmware nor the upgrade/downgrade process.  I believe that a class of QC35ii have chips sets that are faulty and are returning 'values' that are being mishandled/not properly recognized as they are unexpected, causing ANC issues.  However, my conclusions are purely a 'guess' (as I am a customer on the outside like you).

I suspect if you are like others who have shared here, that you may never find an acceptable workaround and may eventually just 'settle' for getting it back as close as you can.  If you are still under warranty or have a way to return it to a retailer, I would do so.  Many QC35ii still work fine 'off the shelf' and many are not even on 4.5.2.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 19, 2020

Ya, I read about all that before posting on the community :). I came to know about the issue that many placed problems after upgrading the firmware.

The thing is, I was using firmware 4.5 from 3 months itself, and I had no issues. 3 days back I started getting this 'wind' sound and all, then I tried changing the firmware, and not the other way round.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@shantanubharatiaAs you know many have noticed that the action button 'low' and 'high' are the same if they have a problem.  Are yours the same or different?

I am not an engineer by trade, but if one is to 'assume' the problem is hardware, then while I have been assuming that when the unit was purchased, it 'came' with the problem, it is 'possible' to assume that if it is indeed a chip problem, that the problem 'developed' after purchase --- though if the assumption is true you would be the first I have read here to experience that.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 19, 2020

By action button, I understand that you mean that the button which on pressing sets the ANC to high/low/off.

Yes, on turning on the headphones, ANC is high. Even if I wave me hands slightly around the earcup, I can hear the wind noise.

If I press the button once, ANC becomes low. Then, even if I wave my hands with maximum force possible , I don't hear any noise from the wind.

If I press again, ANC becomes off. There is still a slight noise from my waving, but already there is a lot of noise due to ANC being off, so it doesn't matter.

The problem is, how am I experiencing slight wind noises in High ANC setting, if I am not experiencing the same in low ANC setting?