Bose sport free disconnecting in Sun light

SOLVED
Quiet Contributor

Bose sport free disconnecting in Sun light

Receantly purchased sports free ear phones in the uk ready for my holiday. Used then for a week prior to holiday and found then perfect. Sat on plane for 4 hours and again perfect.
Laying on sun lounger by pool and left ear disconnects after 15 mins and will not connect again unless placed back into charging pod . 10 mins of use and same happens again. Firmware up to date.also experiencing both ear phones disconnecting. This happens all day everyday by the pool . Return to villa away from pool and they work without any issues. Anyone else experienced problems while near water . (20 metres away from pool ) frustration is starting to set in. Wife and kids are using £9.99 headphones without any issues. I’ve got £180 and have at the best music in one ear .
Don’t want to send them back but unless I can get a resolution by poolside I’m left with little choice
Any help would be much appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bose Best Answer selected by ModeratorTegan_M

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bose sport free disconnecting by pool

Hi Shaunyhudz,

Thanks for posting. The operating temperature of the Soundsport Free is 5 °F to 122 °F (-15 °C to 50 °C). If you feel that your SoundSport Free is not operating in those ranges, I would contact your local Bose support for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down to "Contact Us".

Kind Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

22 REPLIES 22
Quiet Contributor

Think I have worked out the problem. I’m laying in the sun average temp 30’c and it appears to be the earpiece does not like the heat . Tried laying with left ear bud in the sun. After ten minutes it switches off . Leave it ten minutest it’s fine. Lay on the other side with the right ear bud exposed and the same problem including losing the left bud . This would make sense as the left bud is the slave.
No problems at all while in the shade or indoors.
Bose sell these as a sports product. You’re ok as long as the sports are in out of the sun. They are sold world wide.Im in Tenerife so anyone with a warmer climate give it some thought

Hi Shaunyhudz,

Thanks for posting. The operating temperature of the Soundsport Free is 5 °F to 122 °F (-15 °C to 50 °C). If you feel that your SoundSport Free is not operating in those ranges, I would contact your local Bose support for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down to "Contact Us".

Kind Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Quiet Contributor

I have no idea what temperature they are working at . All I know is I’m in direct sunlight and the air temp is 30c
I guess I will have to go via the link you sent .
Real shame as I have no doubt an awful lot of customers would make use of them during their holidays too . May be I will have to go skiing next time
Silent Starter

Re: Bose sport free disconnecting in Sun light

I had the exact same problem, loved them until I went for a walk down here in Texas.... After 10 mins they cut out, I had to return them because of this issue and agree with you that something that is marketed as SPORT yet doesn't work in the sun sucks.  Those headphones were by far the best ones I have owned ever!   Really hope they fix this issue in the future.

Audible Advocate

Yes, same issue here. As soon as it is exposed to direct sunlight they turn off. Right now i stay at the beach (25°C air temperature), sun comes from right side -> right earbud turns off after 15-20 min. Yesterday at the pool similar condition, sun came from left side -> left ear bud turned off. And i am not talking about losing connection - the earbud turns off. I believe they heat up buy the sunlight and their internal heat sensor tells them to shut down. I think they are wrongly calibrated, because when you touch them they do not feel hot at all, just maximum luke warm. Great outdoor product - haha!

I am always happy to serve as a beta-tester for a 200 EUR headset. As soon as I return from my vacation they will go back to the bose store!
Quiet Contributor

Same issue here. In the UK in 25'c air temp and direct sunlight, they didn't last 10 minutes in the sun. Hardly the warmest place in the world. Had to switch to my old wired Beats earphones. Unacceptable.

Quiet Contributor

Same issue here in Italy... after few minutes in direct sunlight left earbud disconnects.

Prior of this, just 2 or 3 times during a Gym session the left earbud has disconnected, but I could (hardly) accept this, being the gym crouded of bluetooth devices...
Obviously, firmware is up to date, earbuds correctly charged etc.

I'm seriuosly considering to return them back: But it's a pity because the sound is absolutely great.

Hi all,

Thanks for chiming in on this subject. If you feel like your headset is not working within the operating temperature we encourage you to contact your local Bose support for assistance using the link provided

Regards,

Tony

Quiet Contributor

This is so frustrating. I’ve had these headphones for a few months now and think they are brilliant. But now I’m on holiday and sitting by the pool they don’t work! (Only 26°!) I can’t even go back to wired headphones as my phone doesn’t have a 3.5mm anymore 😫

I thought it was just a glitch when it first happened in the UK. I was on a run and the left earphone cut out, but since being on holiday I’ve realised they can’t handle the sunlight / the temp even at 26°!!

@Tony_G @Mohsin Surely there’s an update so they can withstand a little bit of heat / sunlight?

If I have to return these I won’t be buying Bose again!

(Please don’t copy and paste the temp specs on your reply.)

Rich