julianm
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 22, 2019

Cannot adjust ANC level on QC35 II when wired

I have the QC35 II, updated to 4.5.2. Action button is set to change active noise cancellation level (because I much prefer Low and this default will not be remembered).

When I plug into wired audio sources, the noise cancellation level noticeably adjusts back up to High. Pressing the action button to change the noise cancellation level does nothing while connected to a wired source.

I’m fairly certain I was able to change noise cancellation level on wired sources with earlier firmware versions. Did this change? Am I missing something?

5 REPLIES 5
Morlock
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Cannot adjust ANC level on QC35 II when wired

As far as I am aware as soon as you plug in the cable all the buttons no longer work, so you can't change volume, answer phone calls or change the ANC level.  I think this has always been the case.

NonHumanHominid
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 21, 2019

Hello

I don't understand what you mean when you say "noise cancelling jumps up to high" because ANC is disabled when using the QC35IIs with a cable. It cannot be high or low, it can only be off. This is an FAQ and you could've found the answer if you'd bothered to search.

You cannot adjust the ANC level when wired, ANC only functions when the headphones are connected via Bluetooth.

Morlock
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

That is incorrect. in wired state there are two modes

Power on - still gives you noise cancelling and their active equaliser (but gives you better battery life as it's not using BT)

Power off - Passive headphones with no N/C and no equaliser (doesn't sound as good, but if you totally run out of battery you can still listen to things.

julianm
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 22, 2019

I did spend some time searching to see if this issue specifically had been discussed. I saw threads mentioning no ANC with wired and was confused by it. Maybe people have power turned off when they try?

It's definitely not the case that ANC only functions over Bluetooth... I’ve used this for well over a hundred hours on plane flights—I'd know if it were disabled.

julianm
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 22, 2019

I'm fairly certain I was able to get it into Low ANC w/ wired way back when I first got these headphones. But if that's something no one else recalls, then perhaps Bose considered it a bug and corrected it. That’s a shame. High really makes my head feel muddy when used too long on these long flights I'm doing more often again.

Basically I was posting just hoping I was missing something. These forums are a rough place, huh?