Highlighted
mray
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

Cannot hear calls on 700 NC on Surface Book 2 with Microsoft Teams Calls

I've worked on this for several hours. I cannot hear incoming calls on Microsoft Teams with my new 700 NC headphones. Said. I'll proably have to return them. Was hoping for an easier experience.

83 REPLIES 83

Re: Cannot hear calls on 700 NC on Surface Book 2 with Microsoft Teams Calls

Hello mray,

Welcome to the community, we are very sorry that you are having a bad experience with your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. 

We would love to do what we can to assist you with this, what other issues are you experiencing with your headphones? 

Have you ensured that call audio prompts are activated on Microsoft Teams to ensure audio notifications are being sent to the headset when you receive an incoming call?

We would love to do what we can to assist you with this. 

Tegan M - Community Support 

mray
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

Thanks for the reply! 
I cannot find a setting for call audio prompts. 

The problem seems a little more complicated than Teams. When I pair the bluetooth device, I see:

Bose NC 700 Headphones Connected voice, music

Inthe Sound Control Panel under Playback, I see

Bose NC 700 Headphones Hands-Free AG Audio default communications device

Bose NC 700 Headphones Stereo Default device

For Recording I see 

Bose NC 700 Headphones Hands-Free AG Audio Default device

Is this right?

The problem is that I usually cannot hear the caller. The caller can hear me. I also can not consistently hear music, or other audio from my PC.

Any suggestions, I'd prefer this, but it's tough to justify keeping a high end headset that doesn't work when an economical headset will probably at least function.

Community Manager

Hey Mray,

Thanks for the update and additional information, that's great.

The multiple listings that you see visible are the connection types that are being interpreted and handled by your Surface Book 2. The Hands-Free and Stereo Default reference different pairing profiles, which enable different types of audio to be sent/received between the two devices. Hands-Free Profile (HFP) will typically act as a mobile headset, a lower audio quality transfer of the microphone and call audio, whereas the Stereo Default listing is for typical audio playback from music sources.

Have you tried manually changing your audio input and output settings on the Surface within the audio settings? Typically this control and assignment are established directly by the computer's operating system. I appreciate that you have likely already attempted a large amount of troubleshooting prior to posting, but we'd be happy to offer some additional suggestions. Have you confirmed that the audio input and output devices are assigned within the Teams app itself as noted in the Microsoft article HERE?

If there are any other users who are experiencing similar issues with the same hardware and software setup we'd love to hear in the Community, too.

Kindest,

Andy B

mray
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

Many thanks. 

I appreciate the explanation of the different settings. 

I was able to succesfully make exactly one phone call before it quit working. The microphone function works fine, but I can't hear the other side. 

I the operating system under 

Sound -> Output I have the Bose Headphones HFA.

-> Input I have the same thing.

In the sound control panel under playback, I have disabled everything except the Bose NC 700-Headphones Hands-Free AG Audio.

Under Recording, I've done the same thing.

My Teams Audio devices are also all set for the NC 700 HFA item. 

I'd love to hear if anyone else is having this problem. Thanks for the quick responses.

Hi there @mray and thanks for checking these for us!

After looking into this, I tried to replicate your issues through Microsoft Teams on Windows 10. I performed the test call twice here (as you said that this only worked for a single call), and was able to get both the microphone and the speakers to play through/from the headset. Please see the images to follow showing the profiles that were being used.

Please note that while I wasn't using the same type of computer, I was using the same software versions here.

As such, can I ask that you try and check the following for me please?

1) If there is more than one Bluetooth device connected to this headset, please disable this device and check the call again.

2) Please reboot the computer/device that you're using, clear the Bluetooth list, and pair again. This list can be cleared by holding the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds until you hear the prompt that this has been cleared.

3) If you're using a Bluetooth mouse, keyboard, pen or other device, please disable these and give the call another go. This may be causing interference or using the Bluetooth profile that the computer would otherwise be using for the headset.

4) If you connect your headset to your computer via the AUX cable and listen to the test call, are you able to hear the audio from the test call? Please note that the microphone will not work when connected via AUX, but you would be able to confirm that the headset works with your version of Teams.

As an additional thought here, have you confirmed that the microphone and headset both work when using a normal mobile phone for calling? If not, there may be an issue with your specific headset, in which case please reach out to support in your region to arrange to have this exchanged!

Once you have confirmed the above, please return to me.

I would ask anyone else that is or has had similar issues to post here as well to confirm whether this works!

Liam W 

Test Call Results NC700 2.PNGTest Call Results NC700.PNG

phat78boy
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

@mray wrote:

Many thanks. 

I appreciate the explanation of the different settings. 

I was able to succesfully make exactly one phone call before it quit working. The microphone function works fine, but I can't hear the other side. 

I the operating system under 

Sound -> Output I have the Bose Headphones HFA.

-> Input I have the same thing.

In the sound control panel under playback, I have disabled everything except the Bose NC 700-Headphones Hands-Free AG Audio.

Under Recording, I've done the same thing.

My Teams Audio devices are also all set for the NC 700 HFA item. 

I'd love to hear if anyone else is having this problem. Thanks for the quick responses.

Any chance you have your headphones connected to two devices? I had a similar issue where my phone was preventing the headphones from switching to my laptop audio. After figuring that out, everything worked as expected. 

mray
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

Thanks for all the replies. 

I tried all of those steps and my problem continued. 

However, I added an Insignia USB Bluetooth Adapter and so far it seems to be working correctly. 

I'm going to see how it goes with work on monday and if so, we'll call it good. 

Thanks for getting back to us, Mray. 

The fact that a different USB adapter appears to have resolved the issue may suggest an incompatibility with your built-in Bluetooth chip. As you continue to use the new adapter, please feel free to let us know your experience.

Kind regards, 

Jeff G