Highlighted
Neil MIdlane
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 28, 2019

Re: Cannot hear calls on 700 NC on Surface Book 2 with Microsoft Teams Calls

What driver are people using on surface laptop 2. Mine is 09/08/2019   15.68.17015.112

I've also tried a third party Bluetooth dongle and disabled the Marvell built in one but it has the same issue, audio call ok then goes all metalic and cuts out. I thne have to select a different audio speaker and reselect the headset some times 3 times before it kicks back in, but then fails again. Yesterday it wouldn't let me use the headset mic as when I selected it the audio went. BOSE won't refund, offered to swap for a cheaper model. What a joke. Phoning the complaints department.

Highlighted
timfp
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2020

I'm also having issues with sound getting robotic and inevitably fading out when using the headphones with Teams (or headset mode).   I'm using a surface book 2 with an internal Marvel Avastar bluetooth device like many others have mentioned.  I've also tried disabling the internal bluetooth through UEFI menu and switching to an external CSR BlueCore device (USB), but the same issues still exist even with that setup.

It'd be great to know someone is looking at this.  There really doesn't appear to be a viable work-around, and the issue is easy to reproduce.

Highlighted
Swapnils
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 15, 2019

Guys, i am really fed up with Bose NC 700 and Surface Book 2. Its been over 6 months with no improvement. What a shame that big corp like Bose cannot work with Microsoft to resolve this issue. 

$450 worth of product is sitting in dust. I might try a dongle to see if I can make this work, else putting up on Craigslist for sale. 

Do you guys have any recommendations on USB Bluetooth adapter that seems to be working with Bose 700?

I found this on amazon with great review but not sure if this would work because i heard some folks on forums that Bose 700 has poor backward compatiblility with Bluetooth 4.0 and I cannot find any BT 5.0 dongle with reliable comments

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0775YF36R/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3RK1DQF0192P5&psc=1

Highlighted
NickDrouin
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Aug 12, 2019

I work for Microsoft: I offered to introduce the Dolby engineers to the BT stack staff in the Windows org, and I opened a bug in Teams and followed up with the product owner there.

I returned my headset just prior to maxing out the ~90 return window, due to lack of action from Dolby -- which I find indicative of their future customer service.

Highlighted
timfp
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2020

First off, it's easy to demonstrate this issue on an affected system configuration by just switching back and forth between "Headphones" and "Headset - Hands-Free AG Audio" while listening to audio playback.   It's not an issue with Teams, skype, or whatever.

I tried a CSR dongle from Avantree and I found it to be more stable than the Marvel HW built into the Surface Book 2, but only if you disable the headphone audio (you can do this by unchecking services for the headphone device under "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers" click properties of the device and then go to services, uncheck everything except "Handsfree Telephony".   Then your headphones will work as a headset and nothing else (can play music, but it sounds terrible).

I also just tried a Broadcom dongle from plugable (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZIILLI).   I've been using this for a day with no issues with both types of audio streams; hopefully that continues.  I'd recommend this one if you want to give something a try before getting rid of the headphones.   Remember you have to disable the built-in bluetooth, and I've found you need to unpair your bluetooth devices before you disable one and move to another.  One other piece of info is that I installed the Broadcom/widcomm driver, but then had to uninstall it to get my headphones to pair (Windows 10); so, I'd recommend against installing any drivers and just let Windows handle it.

Highlighted
therealszy
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 13, 2020

I have the Bose QC 35's. I have a Bose 700 Soundbar + Sub. I have the Bose 700 Headphones. I have a soundlink Mini.

The software support on Bose products has gotten to the point that I will not purchase any hardware moving forward, because there are competitors out there (See: SONOS) that work so much more fluidly. The 700 Soundbar is a pain to switch between sources; I can't get the remote to work with my Xfinity/Comcast Cable Box. Now you have a pair of premium priced headphones that is unable to handle a standard laptop? This is a step back - the QC35s and Soundlink Mini handle swapping devices without an issue.

Hello Sony, Hello Sonos. Love Bose sound, love the microphone array on the 700s, but this is getting out of control, and the company is not doing much of anything to address it. Bye Felicia

Highlighted
Swapnils
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 15, 2019

I have got some good news to share. Just got an update on my Surface Book 2. Update is for Marvell Semiconductor. Bluetooth Driver version has been update to 15.68.17017.115

I did a test calls on teams and it went fine. Hope this fixes the issue permanentaly 

Annotation 2020-02-14 104440.png

Make sure to remove device after before you update. Post update, reboot your machine and pair headphones again. This is just a precaution that I followed to avoid any conflict  

Highlighted
timfp
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2020

I have the same driver (15.68.17017.115) and still have all of the same issues as before.  Hopefully your luck holds, but I think Bose still needs to step up here and figure this one out.

Highlighted
Swapnils
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 15, 2019

I think I jinxed it. Just tried a call on Google Voice via web browser and it tanked. No audio on my side.

But i forgot to disable all enhancement so will it a try again after disabling all audio enhancements

Highlighted
timfp
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2020

FWIW, I can still recommend the plugable/broadcom usb dongle.  I haven't had any issue with it aside from that if you walk out of range of the transmitter, the audio remains bad even when you get back into range until you switch playback devices in windows.  Something about these headphones just doesn't synchronize properly to the host, which is likely the root of the entire issue.