Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2020

Codec switch for headset mode drastically reduces quality -- expected behaviour? (Mac & skype/zoom)

Hello,

I read this post: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/bd-p/wireless-headphones

I have the same problem: on my mac, when using my NC700 with Zoom or Skype (that is, using both microphone and audio capacity), the codec switches from AAC to SOC. A moderator in the above thread has called this a switch of profile. The coinciding reduction of quality however is extreme: my conversation partners tell me I sound far away and hollow, and the audio sounds distant and weak. Let me reiterate this point: the quality reduction is so great that I am wondering if I accidentally used a 2-dollar pair of headphones, like the ones given out on airplanes.

A number of questions:

1) Is this really the intended behaviour, as indicated by the moderator in the above thread?

2) what is the technical reason for why this behaviour is intended on my macbook, but not on my iphone (where I can use both audio and microphone perfectly)? Does it have to do with differences in the bluetooth capability? Will never computers not face this problem?

3) is there a way to allow users to intentionally select quality priority over connectivity priority, or will this ever be implemented?

4) if this is intended behaviour, will it remain this way for all future Bose headsets?

Thanks for your answer.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2020

Re: Codec switch for headset mode drastically reduces quality -- expected behaviour? (Mac & skyp

By the way, I have updated the firmware, and have (unsuccessfully, I believe) tried to reset the headset. It has cleared my list of devices, but I can not identify any other changes.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2020

Re: Codec switch for headset mode drastically reduces quality -- expected behaviour? (Mac & skyp

I'd appreciate an informed moderator response within the return timeframe.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2020

I have found this information, which points at varying computer bluetooth chip specs cause inconsistencies: https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/Computer-Related-Informational-Post/td-p/121144

For reference, I used a late-2013 macbook pro (retina).

If anyone has information about other macbook models and how well they work with  the NC700 headset, I would appreciate if you'd share it.

Thanks,

TBB