Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

Connecting Bose Headphones to the Music App

I hope this post helps others. Bear with me while I explain.

I had been looking at options to stream bluetooth from my TV to my Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones. The only option appeared to be a cheap bluetooth transmitter connected to the stereo out jack on the TV. Then I found that the Bose 500/700 series soundbars also supported bluetooth streaming to a variety of supported Bose devices. Their speaker series and the Bose 700 headphones are widely touted, but when you drill in to the facts you will find that other Bose bluetooth devices are also support. The QuietComfort 35 and 35 II among them.

Yay!! Off the Best Buy for the $500 soundbar.

Setup was a breeze, and after downloading the Bose Music App the soundbar was up and running. So far so good. Next, following the directions to the letter, I put the 35's in bluetooth pairing mode and selected  "Add Device" in the Music app. Nothing. Nada. Nil. No device found.

So I then searched on line and found that there was a zillion posts on people unable to connect their $400 700 headsets as well. The 700 headsets being advertised as the compatible model.

After reading post after post of remove the app, forget the device, reboot the phone, reset the headset, update the headset yadda yadda yadda I was pretty damned angry. This is Bose for pete's sake!

My headset connects to anything I want it to - except Bose' own Music app!

Hmmm.

But I will not let this stuff beat me. So I started to poke around in the Music App. Everything else set up flawlessly - the Sound Bar, my SiriusXM account - so why did the devs muck up so badly on connecting a bluetooth headset?

Bottom line, in my opinion is the dev's did not muck up at all. The technical writers and the supposed experts in the forums are the ones who got it wrong.

You see, in my experience, you cannot just punch the add device "+" sign. Oh no. What you have to do is to create a GROUP. Yes a Group! When you do that, you immediately get the option to connect to a bluetooth device. If your headset is in paring mode it finds it immediately.

So as I write this I am listening to TV in my 35's streamed from my sound bar. In fact I just closed the Music App on the iPhone and streaming is still working perfectly.

So! Take Note!

Contrary to any advice, if you cannot connect your headset in the Music App after setting up your sound bar, create a GROUP and then add the headphones to the group.

Meanwhile, Bose, you need to clarify your documentation.

Your welcome.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 13, 2020

Re: Connecting Bose Headphones to the Music App

Hi,after struggling hugely,I also managed to get my QC35ii connected to my sound bar 500 via using the grouping method. However,the sound coming through the headphones is ridiculously quiet, pressing the volume buttons the headset to the max makes no difference.Can you help?