Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeoffC47
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 31, 2020

Dictate with Bose 700’s?

I find that if I try to dictate while I am wearing my Bose 700s, I can’t do it on my iOS devices.  It is not just that the Bose 700s will not let me use their microphone to communicate with my iOS devices, but my iOS devices themselves will not let me dictate if I’m still connected to my Bose 700s! I press the microphone button on my devices, but they will not pick up my voice.

If I turn off my headphones, I still can’t dictate!  I have to turn off Bluetooth, and then my iOS devices operate normally and I can dictate directly to them. They will let me dictate until I reconnect to the headphones!  

Is there anyway I can dictate through my Bose 700s?

The scenario where this would be helpful is if I am listening to, let’s say, a lecture, and I have a thought that I want to dictate into a note taking app. I want to be able to go to that app on my iOS device, hit the microphone button and just dictate without turning off my headphones and my Bluetooth.  It there a way to do this? 

My 700’s are new, running firmware 1.3.1, and my Bose Music app is up to date, version 3.5.5, and my iOS devices are up to date on software, and the headphone are operating normally.  

thanks for any help!

3 REPLIES 3
Community_Admin

Re: Dictate with Bose 700’s?

Hi GeoffC47,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

I'll be more than happy to help you with your issue. Can you tell me what software you are using for your dictation so I have a better understanding of how you are using our product?

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
GeoffC47
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 31, 2020

The software that I am using when I have this problem is not limited; the problem occurs on *any* software that I have tried that normally has the ability to take advantage of the iPhone’s dictation capabilities.  It happens on: 

• Notes (writing a note)
  • Chrome or Safari (filling in a search field)
  • Day One (journaling)
  • Evernote (writing a note)

etc.  I can’t find a software application where the Bose 700 *can* dictate, even though it is obviously able to take phone calls or use a voice directed personal assistant.  

On top of that, as I said in my first post, I have to go into Bluetooth and disconnect the 700’s to regain my normal dictation capabilities.  I’m certain Bose does not want to disable a native iPhone capability by pairing with the 700’s, but it seems they have.  This needs a fix, it seems to me.

In the meantime, perhaps I could dictate a memo on my 700’s using Siri... might give it a try.  I used to do that with Siri and Reminders with Bluetooth earbuds while bike riding.  Might work here...

Geoff

Keith_L
Community Manager

Thanks for providing this extra information GeofC47!

As you are unable to dictate in this software until you disconnect the headphones completely, it is possble these programs might not support Bluetooth microphones for dictation. Do you have any other speakers or headphones with a microphone that you could test this with?

I have found a thread on the Apple Forums, that suggests dictation should be possible with Bluetooth devices and offers some troubleshooting that they recommend. The users there seem to all be using iOS13 when experiencing this issue, is this the iOS version you are using?

As you have had Siri working before on other headphones, it would be useful to know whether this worked with the NC700s. When you do test this, please do let us know how it goes!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!