Highlighted
Trey
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2019

Disable Bluetooth auto-connect for 700 NC?

I purchased 700 NC’s to replace a pair of now-discontinued Parrot Zik 2’s. I’m mostly very happy with them—the battery life, comfort, and noise-cancelling are all excellent.

I just have one annoyance: the headphones seem to have no way (like the Ziks and some less-expensive Bluetooth earphones I’ve used) to disable auto-connect, either on a per-device basis or generally.

This creates two problems:

1. I was paired to three devices—my phone, my iPad, and my TV receiver, but for some reason 90% of the time the TV connected first, when I almost never want to connect to the TV, but almost always want to connect to my phone and/or iPad. The complex sequence of submenus on my TV to disconnect the headphones was so annoying that I eventually just reset my pairing so it no longer could connect to the TV at all. This solves the usual problem, but does mean I can’t use the headphones with my TV unless I want to go through all this rigamarole over again.
  2. When I’m listening to something on my iPad, if my phone (a Pixel 4 XL) has a notification alert, the sound from the iPad starts clicking constantly. The only solution I’ve found is either to restart the headphones—and then this solution will only work until the next time the Android has a notification—or to disconnect the headphones from the Pixel manually. If I could disable auto-connect, I could just connect to the iPad only when I want to hear the iPad audio without clicking.

I was honestly kind of shocked that a Bose product wouldn’t have feature-parity with a 6 year old Parrot. So I hope this setting is coming soon?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
DanielUniqueIdentifier
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jan 20, 2020

Re: Disable Bluetooth auto-connect for 700 NC?

Could somebody from Bose please provide a response on this thread?

I listen to music on my phone at work, but I have my laptop paired too because I very occasionally do voice calls. Every time I walk away fom my desk and come back, the headphones notice the laptop and interrupt my music to tell me they've connected again.

Just let me choose what device I want the headphones to connect to and when, by manually connecting from that device.

Autoconnecting when the headphones aren't connected to any device is maybe reasonable. I could possibly even accept them autoconnecting to a second device if I'm not currently playing audio on the first. But autoconnecting to a second device when I'm already listening to music on the first device is just dumb.

It's such a shame to see the hard work of Bose's excellent hardware engineers being massivley let down by bad UX.