Highlighted
ryanneph
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

Error while updating firmware - now cant use headphones or update

I started an iphone-based update of the firmware on my bose QC35ii headphones today. I don't remember the exact firmware version that I had on the headphones before attempting the update but it was definitely 1 major version number lower than the current. I started by updating the iOS bose connect app on my iphone to the latest version (3.1.0), at which point I connected my headphones to the app, an update was suggested and I began downloading the firmware. After that process, I tapped the "update" button on my iphone and the firmware update began. A few minutes later, I received an error saying that the update was taking longer than expected and it had failed. At this point I was unable to turn on the headphones, when I plug them in, no lights turn on to indicate a charging state, and I cannot connect them to my PC to initiate a manual update from the PC either. 

Currently, the headphones are completetly non-operational and it doesn't seem there is any way to force an update of the firmware to get them back to a working state. Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Error while updating firmware - now cant use headphones or update

Author Accepted Answer selected by ryanneph

Hello ryanneph, 

Thank you for posting in the Bose Community. 

I am truly sorry to hear that this has happened with your QC35 II wireless headphones. 

I would recommend attempting a reset on the headphones by following these steps:

1. Turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds
  2. Plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds
  3. Unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute
  4. Turn on the headset

If you are still unable to power on the headphones, try an alternative charging cable if possible. 

Should the issue persist, please do reach out to your local customer service center to discuss the next steps with this matter. 

Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'

Get back to me if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

6 REPLIES 6

Author Accepted Answer selected by ryanneph

Hello ryanneph, 

Thank you for posting in the Bose Community. 

I am truly sorry to hear that this has happened with your QC35 II wireless headphones. 

I would recommend attempting a reset on the headphones by following these steps:

1. Turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds
  2. Plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds
  3. Unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute
  4. Turn on the headset

If you are still unable to power on the headphones, try an alternative charging cable if possible. 

Should the issue persist, please do reach out to your local customer service center to discuss the next steps with this matter. 

Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'

Get back to me if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

ryanneph
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

Thank you for your fast response Charlotte.

I've gone ahead and reached out the the local customer service center who were able to assist me further. For any other's experiencing this issue, the only way to resolve was to replace the hardware outright.

Hello ryanneph, 

No problem at all! I am glad to hear that a resolution has now been provided. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us in the future if you have any questions or problems. 

Have a great day!

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Charlotte_G 

I'm confused.  You marked your initial response as a 'solution' which apparantly is not what the user said was their solution - an outright hardware replace.

Hello joelirwin, 

I appreciate how this may be confusing, however, user ryanneph chose to mark the post as an accepted solution, not myself. (As shown below)

accepted solution.PNG

If you have any questions, let me know.

Regards,

Charlotte G 

ryanneph
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

@joelirwin Sorry for the confusion. The reason I marked @Charlotte_G's comment as the solution was becuase of her suggestion to contact the customer service team. I know that in my case the solution was replacement of the hardware, but I think, based on the extent of the issue, the customer service team may provide alternative recommendations for other people. Therefore, I think simply contacting them is the appropriate solution to begin with.