Highlighted
issamelmansori
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 22, 2019

Firmware Downgrade QC35

How can we downgrade the firmware to the basic 1.0.6.

I find this upgrade making the ANC worhtless and I did buy it especially for that function. 

30 REPLIES 30

Re: Firmware Downgrade QC35

Hi Issamelmansori, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. 

We no longer offer a downgrade for software. Hosting a downgrade option has become less and less of an industry standard. This is due to the significant level of difficulty/complexity of compatibility testing multiple devices with a large number of older firmware versions. We have seen cases where installing older versions of firmware can create unexpected behavior in a product and negatively impact or reduce functionality.

If you are having issues with your ANC on your QC35's I would highly recommend performing a product reset on the system. This can be done via: 

• Turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds
  • Plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds
  • Unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute
  • Turn on the headset

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

issamelmansori
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 22, 2019

What a nonsense. I bought a product and as a customer I should have the choice what to do with it. If I want a other firmware on it, I should be the one to decide that. 

How can i solve this problem. Is there somewhere i can go to restore my firmware?

grmedhat
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 7, 2019

@issamelmansori wrote:

What a nonsense. I bought a product and as a customer I should have the choice what to do with it. If I want a other firmware on it, I should be the one to decide that. 

How can i solve this problem. Is there somewhere i can go to restore my firmware?

@issamelmansori  I take it you haven't tried doing the reset. Perhaps you should. 

issamelmansori
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 22, 2019

I have tried the reset several times as described above. Had no effect...

grmedhat
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 7, 2019

Thanks for trying. When you say the ANC is now worthless what do you mean by that? Can you be more specific? Has ANC simply stopped working or is it still working but not well enough anymore or something else? I'm asking for details hoping someone might recognize the issue. 

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@issamelmansoriLike you, I personally don't agree with the logic and explanation of why they won't provide you essentially an 'installation undo'.  You didn't start with B and suddenly want A.... you started with A, went to B and want to go back to what you started with.

Unfortunately, Bose is quite adament about no longer offering a way to go back under any circumstance.  I also am skeptical (though it may someday be possible) that there will be a third party site which SAFELY allows you to reinstall older firmware.  Even if safe, I would question long term viability of that site since the firmware is copyrighted by Bose and they could sue (assuming the site is in a country they could do so).

Anyhow, for now you are really only left with the following options:

1. Live with the firmware you upgraded

2. Return the QC35 to where you purchased it and repurchase hoping to get a unit with the older firmware version

3. Find someone selling a QC35 on ebay/amazon etc. with the older firmware and sell yours

4. Just sell your QC35 and go with a different product/vendor.

zenzeleni
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 23, 2019

Just to raise a lie/fallacy in the original response here:

There is no need to "re-test" older firmwares. Some people are happy with them. And a flash is a flash, unless the flashing procedure itself gets changed - which it shouldn't.

Yes, there is always the possibility of getting a malicious / hacked firmware on automatically, without asking for it, due to malware - but even that should be easy to fix by getting rid of the malware device, and then overwriting the firmware.

The only real use case for allowing downgrades "not being an industry standard", is that it gives control to the manufacturer and assists them in "engingeered obsolesence" so that they can try to sell you the same thing over and over again.

Personally, I would rather pay more, than have to pay every two years. And these headphones are the  single most expensive piece of electronics that I own and have invested in. Feeling like they don't belong to me, and that the manufacturer reseves the right to a self-destruct button, for something that I paid for, upsets me, and does not breed trust. Trust is what sells things.

We live in an age of consent. By buying these, I did not consent to being manipulated. I bought these because they are good quality, and because they come with good support.

Not being able to downgrade, undermines all the good things about it, and if this policy isn't changed, I will rather go without ANC, than support this. Sadly, I am only one person, and my opinion is irrelevant in the face of "the quick profits" that engineered obsolecense can generate for BOSE in the next 10 or so years. I guess they have done the math and realized that they won't be around in 20 years time, so they have to take what they can while they can. Sad.

Hello all, 

@issamelmansori I am sorry you are having these issues and feel let down by Bose. There is no possible way to uninstall the software on your headphones, but I would suggest going to btu.bose.com and updating to the latest software as this should help to fix your issues. If your product is running software version 1.3.2 or newer, it features selectable noise-cancellation modes (High, Low or Off). These can be adjusted via the Bose Connect app. I would ensure the noise-cancellation mode has not been set lower or turned off as this could be causing the issue. 

@zenzeleni I am sorry you are feeling frustrated with the outcome of this situation. I understand why you are upset about this, and I can pass on your feedback to the development team. However, it is no longer industry standard so it will most likely not change. As Hector stated, we have seen cases where installing older versions of firmware can create unexpected behavior in a product and negatively impact or reduce functionality. I can assure you your opinions do matter to us and that we are constantly looking to improve our customer's experiences with Bose. 

I thank you all for your patience and understanding. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Vicky_W  I am not sure you fully understand what some customers are saying.  They are NOT asking to put on some random earlier version of the firmware that could introduce some bugs and problems.  They are asking for Bose to allow them to try a newer firmware version and if unhappy want to have a way to go back to exactly what they had before they upgraded.  That effectively would constitute an 'installation undo'.  You don't even need a remote site to accomplish this.  Merely save the complete firmware on the local installing device before the installation.  Then allow the user to reinstall it if they are not happy.  You say, "it is no longer industry standard".... well "Undo" is an industry standard.  Again the user is merely asking to be back on the version they were on before the update - a version that you were already supporting for their Bose product.

You also say about upgrading to the latest firmware: "... this should help to fix your issues".  In fact, for these people doing so actually created the issues.  That is why they want to go back - they liked the sound with ANC better with the version they had before the upgrade.