mgrobins
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

Re: Firmware Downgrade QC35

THank you for taking time to provide such a detailed reply :).

THank you also for your Service and your comment to me - It's nice to be acknowledged.

@joelirwin wrote:

@mgrobins 

First of all as a fellow vet (AF 76-80), thank you for your service.  I do not work for Bose and I have had the QC35i and now have a QC35ii and I do not agree with all of what Bose says and it's policies.  But nonetheless, wanted to provide my 'reality check' view and guesses here on some of your comments:

stefanicai
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

There's no need to put Dev resources to support uploading the old firmware (I've been writing software for 20 years). The only reason could be that people contacted support for issues already fixed in the last release and thus they wanted to make sure everyone has the latest release. But even that doesn't make sense as people can still stick to old versions and never update. I can't figure out a reason why they took away the previous firmware from the website.

starchild
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 24, 2019

I find it very interesting that this happens just as Bose launches the 700 range.  Reeks of Apple batterygate.  ANC is nothing like it used to be since the update.

Serj
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

@stefanicai wrote:

There's no need to put Dev resources to support uploading the old firmware (I've been writing software for 20 years). The only reason could be that people contacted support for issues already fixed in the last release and thus they wanted to make sure everyone has the latest release. But even that doesn't make sense as people can still stick to old versions and never update. I can't figure out a reason why they took away the previous firmware from the website.

Would you spare some of your time and explain to us, the mere mortals, why a firmware downgrade is considered to be dangerous? How is the firmware update different than the downgrade process and how hard would be for Bose to implement a clean and safe downgrade tool?

squad
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 30, 2019

Why is it so important for bose to protect their customers from potentials problems with firmware downgrade, while each upgrade break the ANC more and more ?

Please let us downgrade our headset to previous firmware.

Rouvster
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 6, 2019

I don't get it why they simply won't provide the older Firmwares. (Others do it, but you won't get support if not running the latest version)

@bose I do have that white noise issue also, after updating to 4.5.2 (the app did it without asking me...)

I did that thing 3 times.

Turn off 30 sec, plug into wallcharger 5 sec, restart.
Dit absolutely nothing.

Could you provide a relevant solution to this other than resetting the product that works ?

Rouvster
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 6, 2019

Just a small input at my end :

After having searched for approx 4 hours I finally find a way to downgrade from 4.5.2 to 3.1.8

After checking (and switching between 4.5.2 and 3.1.8) I noticed that the ANC performs better (no noticable difference between high and low on 4.5.2, but clearly audible on 3.1.8) and this white noise (like distant rain) is completely gone .

So I don't know whats going on with Bose (most people would say that with the new headset coming out they'll decrease the quality of the 'old' versions...

For my part, I finaly left my QC35ii on 3.1.8 and deleted the Bose Connect app on my phone.

This way, the ONLY way to update them is by doing it via wire.

Just a thank you to Bose that they do not allow downgrade of your purchased product.

I'll stick with this version unless I hear something good about a new one.
As they say "If everything works, why update ?"

downgrade_bose
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Aug 16, 2019

Hi could please share your information with us. Im stuck to 4.5.2 and its driving me crazy. 

contact me via mail pls 

downgrade UNDERSCORE bose AT byom POINT de

Thank you!

Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

google on reddit