Firmware Update Tips when using Bose Connect

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Firmware Update Tips when using Bose Connect

For best results, please follow these steps to ensure your headphones stay connected to the phone or tablet running the Bose Connect app.

• Charge your headphones to 100% before you install updates
  • Disconnect your headphones from the charger, make sure it is on, and place it beside your phone or tablet.
  • Use the Bose Connect app Settings to set auto off to NEVER. You can put it back to your preferred setting after the update.
  • Keep the Bose Connect app in the foreground on your phone or tablet. It's okay if it's running in the background but if you close it or force-quit this update will have to start over when you start the app again.
  • Keep your headphones beside the phone or tablet during the update. This can take up to an hour in total. We're doing this to maintain a good connection. Otherwise, you could walk out of range or encounter interference that can break the connection and force the process to restart.
  • Check back after an hour to see if the update has completed.
45 REPLIES 45
Audible Advocate

Re: Firmware Update Tips when using Bose Connect

I appreciate these tips -- but I think you need to 'coordinate' this advice with your Bose Connect app (Android) -- when entering the "Updating your product" screen, the advice at the bottom informs you:
"This should only take a few minutes to complete."

This doesn't correlate to the advice on this Tips post which advises "Check back after an hour to see if the update has completed."  Oh, and while we're at it:  Is there any way you can give a "Completion %" in the app, or some other indication to show the update is preceding as expected?

Community Manager
Community Manager

HI @wiesec

Thanks for joining the community and taking the time to write. We appreciate your suggestions and we'll send them to engineering.

ST

Friendly Fanatic

My advice would be ALWAYS update via wire and NEVER via Bose Connect App, Every update done via Bose Connect App gave me issue's so far and required me to reinstall the update via my PC.

Quiet Contributor

Hi

How do I update by wire? also I have had my headphones since december last year but have never updated the formware yet as sometime ago I read people were experiencing some problems exactly which I canyt remember right now,

anyway , if I update the firmware will I notice anything different? is there a downside?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Bernie1953

Thanks for joining the community.

If you have a PC or Mac please navigate to http://btu.bose.com and follow the prompts on the screen.

You can read about the latest firmware updates here:

Wireless Headphones Firmware Updates Available

ST

Friendly Fanatic

Yes, but the latest update firmware list does not include any details about the SoundSport Free Bluetooth headset.

So let me start by saying, don't bother trying to update to version 1.2.0 using the bose connect mobile app. After 2 hours of slowly downling the firmware inside the bose connect app I gave up. This wasnt prime time, it was 3:30am.

So I connected the charging cradle to the computer, put the earbuds inside the cradle, downloaded the update app for the MAC.

IMPORTANT: Made sure the charging case was open.

Then let it start the firmware update to version 1.2.0 from 1.1.0

Done in 8 minutes, downloaded, installed, and ready to use again. The firmware on the phone app was only at 75% when I gave up on the app  firmware download. I understand limiting download threads from the web server, or even the reason for did throttle but this was absolutely ridiculous. 

For information on what the firmware 1.2.0 is for see below since its not listed any other place that I can find. Oh, and the general "Bug fixes" statment doesnt help me determin if this firmware fixed an issue I discovered or not since its an intermittent issue. It would be nice to have an actural list of bugs that are fixed in firmware updates so people know if they should waist their time reporting the bug or not.

Version 1.2.0

This update resolves a voice prompt and battery tone issue when removing the buds from the case.

It also provides over-the-air update improvements with the Bose Connect app.

It improves the low battery voice prompt announcement along with an out of sync blinking blue LED on each bud.

It also resolves incorrect Japanese voice prompts.

In addition, includes additional bug fixes and product performance improvements.

Well I hope this helps some others that are trying the new SoundSport Free. For the first day waisting 2 hours just for a firmware update I dont know if its off to a good start or not. I can say they sound just as good as my QC20, and just about as cofrotable also. 

As for the 1.2.0 firmware improving over-the-air updateing, I dont know if they are talking about the download firmware time, or another bug. I guess I wont know until the next firmware is released then.

Scott

For other reviews, electronic repairs, and gadget technology in general see my YouTube channel “Gadget Review Videos:
Gadget Review Videos
Audible Advocate

@ST wrote:

You can read about the latest firmware updates here:

Wireless Headphones Firmware Updates Available

ST

Hello...I'm not seeing a release notes for the Soundlink firmware. I'm looking for each firmware release and what was changed in each. Thank you.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jodiuh,

Thank you for joining the Bose Community. You'll find discussions about SoundLink products in the Bluetooth Speakers forum.

When asking questions there, please help us to help you by specifying which Bose product you have.

Thanks,

ST

Friendly Fanatic

Hello,

Is there any setting alllowing to disable updating the firmware by the app ?

Firmware 2.5.1 for QC35 II is definitively not good (a major bug came with it), I have got back to 2.2.1 and all works fine now : ANC is efficient and the dual bluetooth connexion works without generating stuttering when mucis is played.

Thanks