jprince
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Firmware Updates - We deserve better transparency from Bose

When firmware updates are made available customers are not made aware of the changes the new firmware introduces without needing to search out the changes on the bose forums. Bose should have a Release Notes website where one can easily check the changes for all new updates, if a Release Notes page doesn't work have a note in the Bose Connect app that describes the changes in the update that one needs to acknowledge prior to installing the update. This is not a hard problem.

I own QC35 Series I headphones and just updated my firmware. I saw that there was a firmware update available but the Bose Connect app for iPhone did not tell me the firmware version I was updating to. Only after I completed the update did I learn that I the version of firmware that I just installed was version 3.0.3. Looking on the Bose forums I see no mention of version 3.0.3 so I have no idea what if any changes the new firmware introduces.

With this post I don't have any support issues that need to be addressed, I would like a response from Bose on whether or not they plan on addressing the concerns I mentioned in this post.

Short version - Can customers get a changelog of firmware updates before installing the update.

7 REPLIES 7
MattNZ
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Re: Firmware Updates - We deserve better transparency from Bose

Completely agree, I just wasted over 30 mins trying to find exactly this information regarding update 3.0.3 also.

Hello @jprince and @MattNZ

Thanks for reaching out today and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I can understand your frustrations surrounding software updates and can assure you we take informing customers of software updates seriously. You can find the post informing of the latest update for the QC35 headphones here.

The Bose Connect App will also inform users of a needed update, but sometimes this can take some time to show as the update you have just downloaded was only released a few hours ago. 

I will pass your suggestions regarding a dedicated website onto the team for future consideration although this is not on our roadmap at the moment as we do have the Community Forms, the Bose Connect App and the Bose update installer to inform users of needed updates. 

Have a great day. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

jprince
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Thank you for pointing me to the change log for the 3.0.3 update. This was not posted last night when my Bose Connect App notified me that an update was available.

jibiwaba
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 12, 2019

I’m still not sure if what was posted adds any transparency to the initial post, though. “Bug fixes and improvements” is what I would put if I was too lazy to add something of value. How about some actual details?
Highlighted
jprince
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

@jibiwaba I completely agree that  “Bug fixes and improvements” is pretty much meaningless, it would be great if we got more details on what was contained in the firmware updates.

@Vicky_W Can the Bose team also look at more meaningful information in their release notes.

One good example for Bose to look at is Ubiquiti. They have a blog where all updates are announced and users can subscribe to the blog to get email updates whenever there is a new post. https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Updates-Blog/bg-p/Blog_UniFi

Hello Jprince, 

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I take on board your comments about the words "Bug fixes and improvements" being a bit vague and will feed it back to the team to see if this can be changed in the future. 

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Vicky_W  We can not expect with all due respect the myriads of details coming from every single change and fix made in the firmware - some of which could totally meaningless to the average consumer and would require programming knowledge to understand.  With that said, however, I do also agree that a one or two liner which is often what we see when an app on our phone updates, is pretty much meaningless and useless to the understanding of what changed.  What Bose needs is a level of detail we often see from Apple before it performs an iOS upgrade - and notice the changelog is shown EACH TIME before the update.  Check out Apple's approach - it is a great model .... you can read it or not as you wish before you can continue.  It provides detail imho at an acceptable level.

With that said, how about getting us more detail about the recent QC35i firmware changes instead of just saying you will ask engineering to change it in the future.  The customers here still don't know exactly what was changed and want to know.