Help! Can't connect Quiet Comfort I to My PC

SOLVED
Quiet Contributor

Help! Can't connect Quiet Comfort I to My PC

Hello, 

I realize this is not a new issue, and I've gone through a few posts with the same problem, but none were helpful.

My QC I connects to my iPhone effortlessly, but it's giving me a hard time on my Windows 10. When I turn on my Bluetooth on PC and scan for new devices, I don't find the device, instead, it's Unknown Device. When I select it, it says, "Try connecting your device again." 

I have tried clearing my paired devices list on the headphone. I have reset it by following the instructions posted here. I have also tried updating my Bluetooth driver, disabling and enabling the Bluetooth device, and uninstalling it and installing it again. My Bluetooth is Qualcomm Atheros AR3012 4.0. 

I would really REALLY appreciate any feedback. Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Author Accepted Answer selected by Mystique13

Accepted Solutions
Wistful Whiz

Re: Help! Can't connect Quiet Comfort I to My PC

The problem is likely on your PC end.  It is possible there could be an incompatibility between one of the windows updates and your communication.  I just read something further down the page that there was a recent windows update for example, that could cause a BT conflict.  One of the things you can try is uninstalling all your windows updates back say two years.  If that fixes the problem, then you can reinstall them one at a time until you get a conflict again - and then just skip the problem one (after uninstalling it).   If the problem still persists back two years, try a new or even older version of your Qualcomm drivers.  If that also does not work, then you are a bit more constrained on your options:

1. If you image your hard disk or your windows driver, you can go back to a previous backup.  Last Dec, I went back to my june 30, 2018 image and the problem went away even after I reinstalled and upgraded my windows apps and window updates. I never figured out, what was messed up.  Alternatively, you PC vendor may ask you to reinstall Windows from scratch - that is a last resort and may or may not fix your problem but require significant time to put things back together again.

2. You may ask your PC vendor to replace your BT card. I have Dell and my BT is provided by a small combined Wifi/BT card made by Intel - and it currently works.
3. You can totally disable your BT card in Windows and buy an external BT Dongle which plugs into USB.  I used an SMK Nano dongle with CSR drivers last year and it worked fine.

Thing is - this is all about your PC BT vendor and has nothing to do with Bose (even if other non-BT devices work fine).  They have said here in the past that there are too many combinations of PC, MACs and BT hardware for them to adequately test and so they just pass the buck, imho and say if it works with your phone it is not their issue.

3 REPLIES 3
Wistful Whiz

The problem is likely on your PC end.  It is possible there could be an incompatibility between one of the windows updates and your communication.  I just read something further down the page that there was a recent windows update for example, that could cause a BT conflict.  One of the things you can try is uninstalling all your windows updates back say two years.  If that fixes the problem, then you can reinstall them one at a time until you get a conflict again - and then just skip the problem one (after uninstalling it).   If the problem still persists back two years, try a new or even older version of your Qualcomm drivers.  If that also does not work, then you are a bit more constrained on your options:

1. If you image your hard disk or your windows driver, you can go back to a previous backup.  Last Dec, I went back to my june 30, 2018 image and the problem went away even after I reinstalled and upgraded my windows apps and window updates. I never figured out, what was messed up.  Alternatively, you PC vendor may ask you to reinstall Windows from scratch - that is a last resort and may or may not fix your problem but require significant time to put things back together again.

2. You may ask your PC vendor to replace your BT card. I have Dell and my BT is provided by a small combined Wifi/BT card made by Intel - and it currently works.
3. You can totally disable your BT card in Windows and buy an external BT Dongle which plugs into USB.  I used an SMK Nano dongle with CSR drivers last year and it worked fine.

Thing is - this is all about your PC BT vendor and has nothing to do with Bose (even if other non-BT devices work fine).  They have said here in the past that there are too many combinations of PC, MACs and BT hardware for them to adequately test and so they just pass the buck, imho and say if it works with your phone it is not their issue.

Quiet Contributor

Thank you so much for your elaborate and helpful reply. I can't wait to enjoy some music again on my headphones! Thank you again. 

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

p.s. - here is another option - on a different Bose community board a poster suggested they solved their issue by uninstalling Microsoft .Net 4.7.2 (I uninstall with Revo Uninstaller free - highly recommended) and then installing .Net 4.8.