Highlighted
iknowstuff
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

High volume in device but mediocre/lower than expected volume in Noise Cancelling 700 Headphones

I have an eclectic taste of music but I love bass thats why I chose the Bose - not head thumping bass but immersive. There is one issue I noticed recently. When I'm connected to my Windows 10 laptop, I notice that I have to bump up the volume to atleast 80+ to actually enjoy the music. This is particularly very high for my laptop - on any other earphones, I can go no higher than 20 without getting a headache, even on my QC2's (Yes, Quiet Comfort 2). Do you think this is a software issue on Window's side (its the same on bluetooth or with the wire) or Bose's side (maybe they aren't optimized for use with laptops)?

Sadly, the bass is quite underwhelming I hope that this can be fixed with a software patch to the existing sound signature? I mean a bit more bass wont hurt, I just feel my QC 2's do a better job with the bass than the NC700 and thats about 10+ year difference in model.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
iknowstuff
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

Re: High volume in device but mediocre/lower than expected volume in Noise Cancelling 700 Headphones

Author Accepted Answer selected by iknowstuff

Hi Hector,

I just found this out. The "lower than expected volume" is neither a Windows nor a Bose problem. Its a Dolby Audio (DA) incompatability issue.

Just 5 minutes ago, I felt that my laptop speakers were underperforming than before, dug into settings and found out that DA was turned OFF. Turns out that DA is what's making the audio output really good. However, DA isn't compatible with bluetooth devices I believe (still searching on this, till now all I found is that it is not compatible).

I confirmed this is a DA issue by plugging the Bose headphones via the included cable and vola, the volume is at the correct level when I use the cable and low when I use Bluetooth.

Regards

5 REPLIES 5

Re: High volume in device but mediocre/lower than expected volume in Noise Cancelling 700 Headphones

Hi iknowstuff, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I appreciate you sharing your findings and opinion on the Noise Canceling Headphones 700. 

Can you please confirm if you only get these audio issues when using the headphones? If so can you please attempt to use the headphones on another device as well as adjusting the Bass levels on the laptop as there are no adjustable tone controls on the headphones. I would also highly recommend that you attempt to use a different streaming source other than your personal library or streaming service. 

I would also recommend that you perform a reset on the headphones via:

• Disconnect all cables from the headphones
  • Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on
  • Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup
  • Release the Power/Bluetooth button when the Bluetooth light blinks blue

Please update me on the result of these steps and if any other users and experiencing low bass or volume when connected to a PC please do let us know. 

Warm Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

iknowstuff
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

Hi Hector,

Thank you for your response. I apologize for my delayed reply, I've been away from my electronics over the weekend.

Yes, I only get these issues when using it on Windows. It seems to be the same when I use the included headphone cable. They seem to work good on my iPhone (sadly there are no equilizers other than the stock one - which isn't the best) so I do not think it's a headphone issue.

I tried resetting the headphones are you suggested but to no avail. I'm not a scientist in the sound space but I believe there are two explainations for the bass/volume for windows 10 issue:

1. Windows 10 might not be as compatible to the headphones as mobile OS's are (Sometimes the headphones dont detect a change to a Skype call on my PC but they always do on my iPhone).

2. The Bose sound signature pattern simultaneously reduces bass and increases treble when going to the higher end of the volume to ensure the exceptional audio clarity I love about them. (I think it can be tweaked but might result in loss of audio quality)

In the end, I assume this issue should be gone soon as I heard that Bose announced an upcoming equilizer feature in the Bose music app, any update on this would be appreciated!

Thanks and Regards

Hi iknowstuff, 

Thanks for posting and updating me on this. 

I appreciate you sharing your findings with us! Are there any settings inside Windows 10 that you are able to adjust? In regards to the feature that you mentioned, I don't currently have any information regarding this unfortunately and I apologize for this. I will pass this feedback and feature suggestion onto the development team for you and update you if I hear anything back. 

If any other users of the community are also having this issue please do let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B  

iknowstuff
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by iknowstuff

Hi Hector,

I just found this out. The "lower than expected volume" is neither a Windows nor a Bose problem. Its a Dolby Audio (DA) incompatability issue.

Just 5 minutes ago, I felt that my laptop speakers were underperforming than before, dug into settings and found out that DA was turned OFF. Turns out that DA is what's making the audio output really good. However, DA isn't compatible with bluetooth devices I believe (still searching on this, till now all I found is that it is not compatible).

I confirmed this is a DA issue by plugging the Bose headphones via the included cable and vola, the volume is at the correct level when I use the cable and low when I use Bluetooth.

Regards

Hi Iknowstuff, 

Thank you for coming back to us! 

This is great news and thank you so much for sharing your findings!

This will certainly help any users in the Community who are experiencing the same issues!

I'm glad to hear your back to enjoying your headphones again! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O