Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 15, 2020

Hiss/white noise on QC35 II ONLY when connected to Macbook via bluetooth

It doesn't happen when connected via bluetooth to my iphone.

It doesn't happen when connected via wire to my macbook.

Only macbook + bluetooth.

I've tried

- resetting the headphones

- updated to latest firmware 4.5.2 

- changing inputs/outputs in System Preferences ("If you switch the input source in MacOS to the Mac's internal microphone (or another microphone connected to the Mac like a display microphone), then the ambient noise is blocked in QC35. Just give it about 5 seconds to switch the input source to the new source you specified. ") from this thread.

Other ideas? I wasn't planning on spending hours trying to figure out why my noise canceling headphones are CREATING noise 🙂

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: Hiss/white noise on QC35 II ONLY when connected to Macbook via bluetooth

Hey @anniebio,

That is very strange! I'm pleased you've been through a thorough amount of troubleshooting so far.

What I'd recommend from here is to connect the headphones to your MacBook using the provided audio cable, to see if the hissing persists?

Also, do you have any other headphones you could possibly connect, to see if they seem to have the hissing issue also?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 15, 2020

Thank you, as I mentioned the hiss doesn't happen when connected via wire to my macbook. I don't have other wireless headphones to test.

Highlighted

That is no problem, there is some further troubleshooting we can try. 

Can you flick through the noise cancellation levels to see how the headphones respond?

Can you also test a cabled connection to see if this persists?

I look forward to hearing from you.

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 15, 2020

I have another clue: In Zoom I can click near the mute button to change the input to "Same as System" (or MacBookPro microphone) rather than Bose QC35 II. Then in the Mac's System Preferences, change input to the laptop's microphone rather than Bose QC35 II. Then the hissing goes away, but only if I am in zoom. As soon as zoom disconnects, the hiss comes back. As mentioned before, I had already tried changing the input in System Preferences alone and that didn't help when not using zoom. 

When my headphones are in 'hiss' mode (ie bluetooth-connected to my MacBook and NOT in zoom with the settings I just mentioned), then clicking the Noise canceling/action button does not do anything (no voice announcement or anything). If I am in non-hiss mode (disconnected from my laptop), the button cycles through the three options with voice announcements. None of those three have the hiss sound.

You asked again about cabled connection, I mentioned twice already that the hiss doesn't happen when connected via wire to my macbook so I am wondering whether I do not understand your question?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 15, 2020

More information: in Google Hangouts, adjusting all the input/output options similarly makes no difference; the hiss remains regardless. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey @anniebio - So far, you've only referenced this happening while on phonecalls with the headset. Is this the case, or does it happen consistently during all use? From your description, it could be down to how the software is connecting to the headset at specific times depending upon what function/feature you're using. When video/phone calls are initiated, many applications may use HSP or HFP Bluetooth functions, which enables the use of both the microphones and speakers on the headset - likely what's causing the hissing/white noise feedback that you may be hearing. This would also be further suggested by changing the microphone input, and reflecting changes on select applications (Zoom in this instance) only. The button on the left earcup's response will vary based on what Bluetooth profile the connected device is using, which would explain your noted differences. 

Each individual software component on the computer will manage and handle these connections differently, using different aspects of your computer and headset's hardware. This includes the Bluetooth profiles being utilized in each instance. 

It's also important to understand the function of sidetone - during phone calls audio from the microphones will be fed back to the headset's speakers. This enables you to hear your own voice during calls.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 15, 2020

Oh, actually I've never even used these headphones with a phone call. The hiss is all the time, but most annoying when the room is quiet and I'm not using any audio on the laptop (i.e. waiting for a zoom/hangout call to start). 

I appreciate the background info you've provided and it does sound like it fits my situation... does it suggest any solution? If changing the input in the System Preferences doesn't fix it when I'm not playing any audio, then I'm not sure what else to try.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 15, 2020

I figured it out!!! This site gave me a hint to shut down all apps that are using audio to find the one causing the hiss: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208896

I didn't think I was using any audio-related apps, but there is an app called Dialpad installed on my computer. If I shut it down then the hissing stops!

So within that, I choose the settings input = macbook and output = Bose QC35 and all is now well!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

Hey, thanks for sharing this! I was having the exact same issue. Whenever I ended a Google Hangout call, my headphones would continue making an annoying hissing noise. The culprit in my case was Cisco's Proximity app which uses the microphone. Hissing went away the moment I closed it.