fabianxarg
Participant
Registered since

Nov 13, 2020

Hissing noise on hands free mode and calls

I couldn't find the solution to this issue so here I come.

When I get phone calls or use the headphones for conference calls on Teams or Skype I hear a hissing noise all the time. I can't control it with the ANC button and is bothering me because of my tinnitus.

Bose product name

Quiet Comfort 35 SII

Country

Sweden

Firmware Version

App Version

(4.1.1, 13.0.2, etc.)

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

(Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

Where do you run into the issue?

Calls, apps where I use the mic.

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

It has been there since I got the headphones

Any troubleshooting steps you took

I couldn't find a solution to this, no option on the app

8 REPLIES 8
Sam_F

Re: Hissing noise on hands free mode and calls

Hey fabianxarg,

I'm sorry to hear you're encountering an issue with hissing audio on your headphones - is this present at all levels of noise-cancellation? Do you ever hear this hissing noise outside of making calls? Also, have you had the chance to try a product reset?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
fabianxarg
Participant
Registered since

Nov 13, 2020

Hi Sam!

Yes, the problem is present in all the ANC settings for calls (pressing the ANC button).

The noise is not present outside calls, that works perfectly.

Sam_F

Thank you for clarifying, fabianxarg.

Are you currently using a PC/Mac for Teams/Skype calls? If so, what happens when you make Teams, Skype, or even normal phone calls on a mobile device using these headphones? Do you experience hissing?

One thing I'd check firstly is that your headphones firmware is up-to-date HERE. Also, be sure to attempt a product reset, then let me know if you notice any improvement!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
fabianxarg
Participant
Registered since

Nov 13, 2020

It happens on PC and on the phone apps.

When I receive a call and I take it, I start hearing the hissing noise. The noise disappears after the call.

The headphones are on the latest firmware and have been reset. There's no improvement.

Keith_L
Community Manager

Thanks for confirming that fabianxarg!

As this sound only happens while you are on a call, it is possible it is linked to the "self-voice" feature, which plays sound from outside the headphones back into the ears while on a call to provide a more natural speaking experience.

You can adjust the levels of self-voice from the Bose Connect app, and even turn it off entirely. To do this what you will want to do is open the Bose Connect app, connect your headphones, and navigate to the settings > self-voice. I'd recommend trying all the levels of self-voice available here to see if there is any improvement to the hissing noise.

Let me know how this goes!

fabianxarg
Participant
Registered since

Nov 13, 2020

Hi Keith,

As you mentioned, I can confirm that it is the "self-voice" feature.

I have been testing it these last few days and its behavior is disappointing. To being with, it makes an annoying noise at all levels, I don't mind white noise but this one is very annoying, really. When I have it "off", sometimes I feel like the communication gets lost and there is also a very high pitch noise in the background that comes on and off all the time. For moments there's complete silence, just like in the stereo mode, and it's great, but then the super high pitch noise comes back.

Keith_L
Community Manager

Thanks for checking that for us fabianxarg!

It's useful to know that the level of self-voice does affect this sound you are hearing. When self-voice is in use it should only introduce sound from outside of the headphones so you can hear yourself more clearly, you might hear some noise from the microphones with this active but large amounts of white noise or hissing would be unusual. You also shouldn't be getting a high pitched background noise when you have Self-voice turned off either. I've been testing this with my headphones and I can't hear it when I turn off self-voice.

What I would recommend doing to start with is a reset of the headphones, to do this you need to:

• Power off your headphones.
  • Wait 30 seconds.
  • Connect your headphones to a wall outlet using a USB charger.
  • Wait five seconds.
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the headset.
  • Wait one minute.
  • Power on your headphones.

Let me know if you hear any change after doing this.

Matthijs_
Participant
Registered since

Feb 6, 2021

My Bose QC35ii has the same symptoms when connecting with pc or phone: significant ‘white noise’ when microphone is used on standard settings, and no white noise but a high pitched electronic noise that comes on and off when self-voice is turned off. (Its weird, when switching between low and off, the pitch of the tone changes almost every time the off is pressed again; when kept off it will do this on its own in different intervals). Also, the voice prompts and sounds when buttons are pressed are way too loud (in HFP mode) and hurt my ears. A reset (as described in previous post) was not enough to solve the issue unfortunately. Is there anything to be done? The microphone is unusable like this.

(Using the "Bose QC35 II stereo" (‘A2DP’) as a playback device for music seems to works fine. I have updated to the latest firmware (4.8.1, this made the ‘turn off self-voice option’ available), checked the Bose app for updates (15.0) and updated my computer drivers.)