GiedriusT
Participant
Registered since

Jan 13, 2020

How to disable connecting to multiple devices at the same time?

I have Bose QC 35 II headphones and I love them except one thing. For some reason it connects to two devices at the same time. And then if I'm watching TV and get a message to my phone my TV audio is muted and notification sound played etc. How can I turn this off, or is it a bug?

43 REPLIES 43
Tegan_M

Re: How to disable connecting to multiple devices at the same time?

Hello GiedriusT, 

Welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out. 

What you are experiencing is normal, the QuietComfort 35 II headphones are designed to allow up to 2 Bluetooth connections at one time. I would suggest that you turn off Bluetooth of the device you do not wish to have connected to your headphones in this time. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
GiedriusT
Participant
Registered since

Jan 13, 2020

Are you planning to add a feature so I can select so only one bluetooth device would be connected at a time? Two connected devices doesn't make any sense and are extremely annoying, because I have to turn bluetooth on and off on my devices just to make headphones function normally. Sometimes I forget that phone is connected and in a middle of important Slack call audio gets muted and I hear 'Someone is calling you' voice from my phone etc.

I'm sure I can't be the only one to whom this feature is super annoying and absolutely useless.

Charlotte_G

Hello GiedriusT,

I understand that this may be annoying for you. A lot of users actually find the ability to have two devices connected very helpful.

I'd be more than happy to pass along your comments as a feature request to our development team for future consideration.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Brett W
Participant
Registered since

Feb 1, 2020

I'd like to second the need for an option to disable connection to multiple devices. I've been suffering with this "feature" for years with no ability to disable it, and can't count the times I've been unable to connect to my computer because another (1 or 2) device auto-connected. Next step, turn off Bluetooth on the auto-connected device so it doesn't happen again.

Why does Bose think this is a necessity, especially when you can easily slide the button to cycle through device to connect to whatever you'd like?

Bose, please, please, please provide an option to disable this feature.

Brett W
Participant
Registered since

Feb 1, 2020

@Charlotte_G wrote:

A lot of users actually find the ability to have two devices connected very helpful.

Is this really the case? Under what circumstances do people find this useful? I'd like to hear a real-world case of someone who finds this beneficial. I've never found it to be anything but infuriating. Moreover, why make this default behavior, especially when you can very easily slide the button to cycle through devices to connect to whichever one you'd like?

We're not requesting the removal of this feature, but simply the option to disable it for those who hate it. And shouldn't accommodating loyal customers requesting a legitimate option be worth considering? I've spent thousands of dollars on Bose devices over the years, and have never found anything as annoying as this auto-connecting to multiple devices.

Please, please, please provide an option to disable this feature.

Thanks.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Brett WActually, it is even more 'complicated' than that - the QC35 (and many other Bose BT devices) has to deal with two different Bluetooth profiles - A2DS (for streaming music) and HFP (for voice over IP phone).  So not only could you be interrupted by two competing connected BT devices, but two profiles from the same device - i.e., you are listening to music and it stops because there is an incoming phone call.  You could say, 'but most people want that to happen' - but what if you want to continue to listen to music and use the internal phone speaker and microphone for your phone call.  I know that sounds pretty far fetched (plus I am not sure the BT 4.x standards allow that to be implemented) (and probably more realistic for say the Revolve than the QC35), but the point is, there is no option either to connect to a BT device but specify connection for a single profile (default again is to connect to both).

OK, somewhat 'academic' so let me give my real world 2 cents and I do not work for Bose.  You provide a great idea but it is highly likely at best to be a extremely low priority request.  First of all, Bose has not updated the QC35 firmware since 6/18/19 and it is working hard on trying to address the ANC issue discussed here in multiple places.  Also keep in mind that this unit has been out for a while and they have already started shipping another model, the 700 though they both will sell at the same time.

So my guess is not just your but almost all the suggestions for improvement will go unaddressed on this unit but may be considered as functional improvements for 'future' units that are still under development.

We users here were hoping for a firmware update of some sort since the last two were last year in march and june.  But 7 months have gone by with nothing.  So even in the best possible scenario where they thought your suggestion would have high impact on many users/customers, it would likely be 2021 before you saw it.

BTW - in my opinion, the most requested new feature I have seen here in 18 months is the ability to set the turn on ANC level (since it will always start at HIGH).  Even that reuqest will probably not see implementation.... but who knows? 🙂

HighFidelity
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 16, 2018

Since Covid I wear them a lot at home and hit a design/usability fault. My headphones are paired with an Apple iPhone 7 and the Amazon Fire TV 2. When I listen audio from the iPhone it still tries to pair with the Fire TV in another room causing it constantly to connect and re-connect with prompts interrupting my iPhone audio. It somehow always gives the Fire TV priority, even if that one is not playing any sound.

Starting the Bose App is slow so it takes ages to temporarily disable the Fire TV, and not very much later it again automatically tries to connect to the Fire TV.

Please, Please, make it possible to disable automatic connections while remembering the paired devices.

Of course I can temporarily unpair the Fire TV but re-paring with a Fire TV is also such a hassle (Fire TV has a bug when that Bluetooth devices are paired, it silently disables the Bluetooth but still shows the paring prompts. Rebooting and resetting does not help. Tip: with the free app Swipe Settings Tool Control you can enable the Bluetooth so paring starts working)

andydavidc
Participant
Registered since

Aug 7, 2020

I love all my Bose devices, but please please please add "connect only one device at a time" option. It drives me insane!

So happy I found Connect + app to make it easier to disconnect the second device, but it automatically connects the second at a later time. Every Siri command/text/reminder/email I have notifications for interrupts whatever I'm listening to. If a movie, it often pauses the movie while I argue with Siri. 

Surely an additional option can be added to the app to control how many devices automatically connect? pls.

wolfe78
Participant
Registered since

Aug 13, 2020

I only registered to bose to add my voice to this request.

im on my computer listening to music and then i get cut of and a call is entering. 

i cant disable Bluetooth because i have headphones for calls only that i use.

also i get info all the time that im phone is connected and disconnected. 

i didnt even want it to connect to the phone.

why cant we use the settings to select IF we want to allow the headphones to connect to 2 devices simultaneity ?