joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: How to disable connecting to multiple devices at the same time?

@snstanton(I do not work for Bose)

I do agree with everyone that Bose should p rovide an option to limit the connection to a single device.  I am not particularly enthusiastic that this will happen for existing BT 4 Bose devices since they all have the same double connection functionality and it would imho be surprising if they change one and don't change all (and it is even more unlikely they will change all).

Another thing they have an option for is to turn off voice props - that annoying stuff people here don't want to hear when something else connects (and in my case it doesn't even say 12 it say "1", "2" for my iPhone 12 - any high school programming student can figure out how to say numbers 🙂 ).  You can try switching off the voice prompts.  The problem is, the resultant change is not SILENT - you will still hear four beeps.  That is also irritating - there should be a silent option (either with turning off voice prompts or separately).

Hoekie72
Participant
Registered since

Feb 16, 2021

Same here! 

I just registered to add my vote to the annoying feature that my QC35 always tries to connect to two devices when turned on.

Might I suggest using the leverage of social media to get Bose into action?

I cannot understand how difficult it will be to simply offer the option to just connect to one device at a time...

personhattan
Participant
Registered since

Feb 22, 2021

I also find this "feature" annoying. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

I have bought 4 pairs of the QC 35ii; for parents and myself.

It looks like the Bose 700 (seems to be the next gen of noise cancelling headphones from Bose) has this same "feature". I guess the only thing that works is to voice one's displeasure with their wallet; I will not purchase another Bose product until this is fixed.

Whoever thought this would be a good idea? It's an absolutely useless feature which only causes headache; such a feature should be opt-in and not opt-out to begin with.

argie42
Participant
Registered since

Feb 22, 2021

As many others, I registered to this forum for the sole purpose of adding my voice to this topic.

What an ANNOYING feature that is! Almost as annoying as BOSE not answering the thread and not fixing the problem.

My QC35 and gf's QC 35II have this kind of relentless need to try to connect to some other device that the one we want to use. How many times my gf and I had to say sorry to someone on a zoom call, making gestures to the camera looking like idiots while waiting for the QC35 to stop this nonsense?

"connecting to blah blah blah" - "connected to blah blah blah" - "disconnected from blah blah blah"

Your feature MIGHT BE a good idea, however, the execution is just bad.

BOSE, PLEASE FIX THIS, DON'T LET US DOWN!

m.egger
Participant
Registered since

Mar 8, 2021

Same issue here. My QC35ii seem to connect as they please with my iPhone and my iPad even though bluetooth is switched "off".

Note: My issues are specifically with iOS devices. I just wanted to rant about how the Bose headphones keep connecting to my iOS devices although I turn BLE off in the control center. It seems though that when hitting the bluetooth button in the control center (swipe from bottom up on old devices and down from top right on new devices) Bluetooth is still on, just will not connect to new devices?! If you go to check in the actual bluetooth settings you will see it is actually still on. So maybe thats a fix for iOS. Dont use the control center to switch off Bluetooth but do it in the settings?

I will see if that fixes the problem.

The possibility to handle auto connect devices in the Bose App would be a great feature though! 

db0006
Participant
Registered since

Mar 22, 2021

I just bought a new pair of QC 35 IIs and I'm supersized I don't have the option to connect one device at a time.  The double pairing is very annoying at times.  PLEASE update the firmware to allow for this.

bobby.lit
Participant
Registered since

Mar 26, 2021

I'm specifically buying the Sony bluetooth headphones now because of this "feature". I used to think I'd like this but it's become a huge pain in the **bleep**. It's literally an if statement in the firmware that they could easily add to allow people to switch this on and off. But they're unwilling to do it. Pretty disappointing.

deepeepeed
Participant
Registered since

Mar 29, 2021

This is a bug, not a a feature.  Sure, some people may like it, but if you ever start to use your headphones with an Apple TV (and from these comments firesticks) they become unusable.  I was already tired of the random connections and disconnections that happened and all the unnecessary notifications.  I have connected them to a work computer, home computer, ipad, work and personal phone and now apple tv.  It might be OK if you live alone, or don't have many devices, but this seemingly simple to fix software issue is apparently a hill Bose wants to die on.  

I've noticed customer support declining rapidly at Bose and this seems like an extension to that. If you won't do it then just admit it, you don't want to fix it, but don't **bleep** on me and tell me it's raining.  Will definitely be going elsewhere for my next headphones without a fix.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@deepeepeed(I do not work for Bose)

We may be discussing 'semantics' here but from my almost 50 years in computing, I have always thought of a 'bug' being performance differing from stated functionality - you state/specify that something happens and something else happens.  You and I may not like the behavior/functionality, but I don't recollect reading anywhere that there is a way to limit the bluetooth connections to a single device other than clearing the BT list and then pairing a single device.  I personally don't see why Bose could not make this an option but we are technically asking for an 'enhancement', they are not really fixing a 'bug'.

Here is the 'issue' to consider for this situation.  Say, for argument sake, Bose prioritizes this as an option for a functionality enhancement, then it would have to be implemented across all the BT devices since all of the Bose devices currently support connecting to two simultaneous devices.  As you and I can 'guess' - Bose implemented this as a common feature for all their products for various reasons including competitive advantage and their research indicated that to be useful functionality for their customers. So we say, 'just make it an option so the customer can choose'.  Sounds simple - perhaps even 'trivial' to us - but there is a cost associated with such an implementation across all their products and I personally doubt they would make this an option just for one product.

Nonbiri
Participant
Registered since

Apr 4, 2021

I can't imagine any situation where this feature is actually useful or convenient, and it drives me insane to have to stop what I'm doing to go disconnect a device that has cut off what I was listening to. Depending on the device, turning off bluetooth or disconnecting it from the headphones can be quite a hassle, and with some applications, once I'm cut off I have to exit out and start it over again to re-establish it as the primary device and get back to what I was listening to in the first place. There is no upside to having two devices connected at once, only downside, because they cannot actually work together simultaneously, and nearly always interfere with each other instead. I otherwise love these headphones, but I would seriously reconsider buying another Bose product if it had this feature. This is a potential deal breaker.