Participant
Registered since

Jun 26, 2020

Re: How to mute NC700 microphone when paired to computer

Would absolutely agree with the OP and the other comments on this topic.  The lack of a mute function for the microphone when using for conference calls on PC or laptop is a serious gap in the functionality and is an issue for me.    I purchased a set recently based on good reviews, but now find that they are not the all round headphones that I expected

Contributor
Registered since

Jun 24, 2020

From another thread I posted in, might help others.  Certainly not a fix.  Hoping to bump these threads so Bose can chime in.

Here is the thread: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/700-NC-Call-Controls-on-Microsoft-Teams-Not-W...

For me to get the mute button to actually work, this is what I need to do.  Wonky, but it consistently works.  Before I join a meeting, I need to both have my NC 700 connected to my computer and my phone.  I join the meeting.  I go into the Bose Music app and connect with that as well (its always "not available" and I always have to refresh then I can connect, event though it is connected in Android).  Once I see its connected in the app and from the main screen see the battery, etc, I click on it again to go to my device settings.  Then I go to the Bluetooth source button where I can see the two sliders for my phone and my PC.  I turn of the slider for my phone.  Mute button works.  If I turn my phone back on with the slider, mute button stops working.  Also if I turn my phone back on with the slider (as a Bluetooth source), the only way I can get the button to mute again is to start the whole process over. All the way back to my above sentence of "Before I join a meeting", so if I'm in a meeting, I have to leave it and start over.  I have to do this for every single meeting.  So if I were to hop off of one meeting to join another, I start that process all over again before joining the second meeting.  It appears to consistently work for me.  Would LOVE to hear if it works for someone else.  If it does maybe it will point Bose in the right direction.

Also all of that said, I also need to have Zoom pointing to the headset, not headphones in the audio options.  This is recommended elsewhere and I think this is a must.

Participant
Registered since

May 31, 2020

The mute button doesn't work in calls on Windows 10. This was mentioned here before but forgotten without a solution or acknowledgment even after many firmware updates.

A mod here claimed that it's a hardware/software limitation, but it clearly isn't because there is a clumsy way around to make it work:

1. connect to both PC & phone

2. join the call

3. disconnect the phone from the app > sources

and you are good, but you have to do this every time you join a call

The solution was posted by LedZeppelinWails

Participant
Registered since

Aug 27, 2020

The inability to mute while on a call is a serious flaw.  I had thought I had found the "one" with these headphones but not being able to simply mute, especially on headphones that reportedly beat out competitors in its voice clarity, is very odd and perplexing--this is so basic.  I am sure this can be fixed through a firmware update but if not, I will be returning these and start my search again.

Participant
Registered since

Aug 28, 2020

I bought NC 700 for business calls purposes, I'm pleased with voice quality, microphones just rock, but when I found out I'm unable to mute my mics during teams/webex calls, I was shocked... This is such a basic feature I was not even checking it before clicking buy now button. I have a mixed feelings now and I seriously consider sending them back and go with Jabra, have 10 more days to decide. Bose team, please say you're going to add this option, I love those headphones but it's a real miss.

Contributor
Registered since

Aug 17, 2020

They will be releasing the Bose 700 UC with a bundled bluetooth USB dongle to handle connection. It will be certified for Teams/Zoom and will bring the functionality you want.

The USB dongle will also be sold seperately and can be used with your "old" Bose 700 (they are technicallyy the same as the new 700 UC and wil run the same firmware). You can send your 700 back and wait for the 700 UC or you wait and buy the bluetooth USB dongle extra (probably around 50 bucks though).

Participant
Registered since

Sep 1, 2020

MacOSX works perfectly fine with muting ANY video call. So when I inevitably swapped over to using the bose NC700 on my windows computer I was baffled.

Having to pay an extra $50 for a dongle doesn't seem right.

Why can't the firmware work better for window 10?

Participant
Registered since

Oct 31, 2020

Where are we on this? This thread is 9 months? Is there an update? Dongle? Does Bose care?

Participant
Registered since

Nov 7, 2020

As requested in the last reply please provide us an update.

Participant
Registered since

Jan 30, 2020

Yes, the functionality hasn't been implemented yet, and it's plainly ridiculous...

It's a small firmware implementation to ensure the mic is disabled within the headset, independently on the BT streamer/application!