bgilberto29
Participant
Registered since

Apr 7, 2020

Issues with Bose NC 700 noise cancellation

I received my Bose NC 700 today and the noise cancelling is very poor in general at highest setting of 10 and no where near the QC 35 ii I previously owned.

For example I can hear my girlfriend from upstairs while she is making a work call with the door closed and noise cancellation at the highest setting of 10. My keyboard when typing is a little more quiet but no better than a pair of earbuds in with no music playing. The QC 35 ii being 2.5 years older some how did a better job than this brand new set with newer technology. I've read about the firmware issues in QC 35 ii and even the 700s before purchasing and assumed it was paranoia but this can't be normal for a $400 set of headphones with the primary function being cancelling noise. 

From previous responses by moderators I can already tell this will be a standard thank you and this isn't normal please reset the headset with the follow steps reply. That's another issue you can't even tell if it's reset properly unless it bricks like mine did for an hour before I was able to turn them back on.

Are these just not very good at noise cancelling or am I crazy? 

24 REPLIES 24
Hector_B

Re: Issues with Bose NC 700 noise cancellation

Hello bgilberto29, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. It seems that your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 aren't performing correctly! 

Let's start by performing a reset on the headphones by following these steps below: 

• Disconnect all cables from your headphones
  • Connect the larger end of the USB charging cable to a wall charger or a computer that is powered on
  • On the headphones, press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button while connecting the smaller end of the USB cable to the right earcup. The Power LED should quickly blink twice
  • Once connected, release the Power/Bluetooth button after two seconds.

I would also recommend that we perform an update on the headset by connecting it to a PC via the USB charging cable, then heading to our online updater and following the on-screen instructions. 

Please do update us on the result of these steps. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Rabik Nathan
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 1, 2020

I've had the same issues. Bought a brand new NC 700, and I can hear the person next to me pretty clear even at NC level 10. Have tried the reset option but doesn't work. 

Have skimmed thru a large number of posts and see a lot of complaints after a latest firmware update in May. Although I cannot say that for certain as I've just had mine for 2 days now.... but the NC level is sub par. If this is expected behaviour then I plan to return mine. Hopefully Bose can fix it. Its a real nice headset otherwise.

Sam_F

Hey Rabik,

I hope you've enjoyed your Noise Cancelling 700 headphones so far! If you're noticing any issues with noise-cancellation, I'd advise trying the following steps to ensure you receive the full NC experience.

1) Visit the Bose Updater HERE, to push the latest firmware onto the product.

2) Be sure the earcups are tightly seated against the head. Glasses, earrings and hats may prevent the headphone cushions from forming a tight seal around the ear. Remove any of these items and retest the noise-cancelling feature.

3) Be sure the ear cushion is securely fitted to the earcup.

Check all these steps and let me know if you notice an improvement!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
The Cyclist
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 4, 2020

No, at the moment I wouldn't suggest anyone to update. I, for example, updated and can't even open my Bose 700 now. And some people reported that the battery performance goes down. I am still waiting for an explanation. Normally, I would support the people who work behind the curtain but come on guys, I feel like I am a beta user or something. I can't open my Bose 700 and it is not even just me, many people are complaining about it. Thank you.

Rabik Nathan
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 1, 2020

I'm on the latest versions. 

Just for clarity, I'm on -

Firmware version 1.4.12.6283.9f658fd

App version 3.3.4

I've checked without spectacles or any personals accessories. I've also got someone else to use the headphone so nothing I'm missing.. the NC is subpar. 

No improvement 

User55
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 14, 2020

I am using NC700's with the same specs. I find it cancles non-voice noise sources very well, but noise from voices nearby are not suppressed. It feels like either a filter is missing or the level of voice cancelation has been set low for these devices. I've used older noise cancelling Bose products that made it feels like you were in an anechoic chamber. An update to noise cancelling filters with more aggressive voice cancelation would be much appreciated.

DTN
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2020

Hi there,

I also have issues with the Bose 700 noise cancellation. Same as described before: even on highest setting 10 noise cancellation is very poor. Can hear my partner speaking very clearly through closed doors, street noise through closed windows, etc. The noise cancellation setting doesn't seem any different to not having it activated (except the typical noise cancelling sound). Can't compare to other Bose NC headphones as these are my first ones but I have other NC headphones that seem to perform just as well but were less than £50. Surely this can't be right?

I reset as described and updated to the most recent firmware. No change. Do you have any other suggestions? Not happy to accept this product in this condition.

I really wanted them because of the supposedly superior noise cancellation and call quality performance compared to competitors but now thinking of returning them and buying the Sony 1000 xm3 instead. Want to be absolutely certain though my experience is not because of a faulty set of Bose 700s.

Zappa2k
Participant
Registered since

Jul 12, 2020

Seriously, the notice cancelling in my NC700 has gone from good to really bad. Before it was ok, but seriously, now something drastic has to be done from Bose. 

I'm so disappointed, this problem has been around for a couple of months now and feels like Bose don't really cares about it. 

DTN
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2020

Is anyone in this forum answering the questions? @bose