Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 1, 2020

Listing to music and recording on QC35II at the same time

I regularly use my headphones to record audio via bluetooth as I use a speech to text application on my Windows 10 PC. I've noticed that when I am listening to music, if I turn on the speech to text application on my PC, the music stops playing. I'd like to be able to still hear the music from one app while recording audio to another so I can keep dictating. Is this possible?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Listing to music and recording on QC35II at the same time

@hugepickleI am guessing here (and I don't work for Bose) that you are trying to use two applications simultaneously with the QC35ii via BT.  I am not a BT version 4.x expert, but I do not believe the protocols support parallel simultaneous communications between two different senders and a single receiver.  I guess technically it may be two and two in parallel - text/to/speech to QC35 mic at the same time as music to QC35 speakers.  Whichever one it is in reality it still is two parallel streams.  So for that to work: (1) the protocols have to support it (you can read up on the BT 4.1 protocols to see if they support parallel simultaneous streams but more importantly (2) Bose would have had to implement that BT feature in the firmware for the QC35 (the moderators here would have to confirm that this is a feature in the firmware).

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 1, 2020

Thanks for that reply. I'm not sure if this matters, but the headphones are connected to only once device (Windows 10 PC). It's two applications running on that PC. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@hugepickleI am not sure if for BT purposes the QC35 is considered one device (two apps in windows communicating to the same device simultaneously) or two devices (one communicates to the speaker and one communicates to the microphone).   If it was two devices, then it would fit more neatly within a BT paradigm since BT has always been designed for a single device (MASTER) to communicate with multiple devices (SLAVES) simultaneously.  Mobile phones, for example can be connected to multiple paired bluetooth devices simultaneously.  But this is where I get a bit confused since each of the devices has its own BT transmitting and receiving system and I don't believe the QC35 has separate facilities for the speaker and microphone.  So if there is a single firmware for both parts and a single radio transmitter/receiver for both parts, then I am not sure of the answer.   Bose really needs to (1) confirm that BT 4.x specifies simultaneous conversations between not only one device to many but also multiple conversations between the same two devices and (2) that Bose implemented in the QC35 firmware the ability somehow to maintain a BT conversation with the speaker at the same time it implements a BT conversation with the microphone.  I am personally inclined to say no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth