Unicornissuesbeep
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

Loud beep after a while, then bad quality and microphone bleeds into the microphone (macbook only)

So I've had no issues with the headphones (QC 35 ii) for around 2 months, but as of recently say a week or so I've started having issues. Possibly since the latest firmware (4.3.6).

They work fine for around 10 minutes every day then suddenly there is a lound beep after which the sound quality is lowered enough that I stop using them. The sounds around me are fed into the sound, so anything people do around me is making sounds in the earphones.. None of this happens on my phone.

Reading around, it looks like it might be something called sidetone, and the issue might be that my laptop kicks the sound into that mode. But I don't know if it is correct and if it is - how to fix it. I'm on macos / macbook.

I also don't find a way to downgrade, the instructions I've found does not work as the dropdown in the bose.update thing is showing only the latest.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Loud beep after a while, then bad quality and microphone bleeds into the microphone (macbook ...

Hi, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am very sorry to hear that you are having this issue however I would love to help. 

If the headphones are only connected to a device using the Bluetooth stereo audio profile (A2DP), microphone functionality will not be enabled. This should mean that you can't hear the outside audio via your mic.  

In the settings menu of the connected device, be sure the headset profile is enabled. Once enabled, unpairing, re-pairing and reconnecting the headphones to the device may be needed. 

In regards to the downgrading of your software hosting a downgrade option has become less and less of an industry standard. This is due to the significant level of difficulty/complexity of compatibility testing multiple devices with a large number of older firmware versions. We have seen cases where installing older versions of firmware can create unexpected behavior in a product and negatively impact or reduce functionality.

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Unicornissuesbeep
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

Re: Loud beep after a while, then bad quality and microphone bleeds into the microphone (macbook ...

Thanks for the reply.

In the settings menu of the connected device, be sure the headset profile is enabled. Once 
enabled, unpairing, re-pairing and reconnecting the headphones to the device may be needed.

Where exactly is this settings menu? Specifically on macOS. In the bluetooth control panel I see no such options. This is what options I have https://imgur.com/a/W1jJqYV.

As for the downgrade options. I understand (however as a technical user it saddens me a bit).

Hi, 

Thanks for reaching back out. 

Have you attempted to reset the headphones at all or cleared the Bluetooth list? 

The way that this can be done is to Power on your headset, then slide and hold the Power switch toward the Bluetooth icon for about 10 seconds until you hear "Bluetooth device list cleared."

To reset the headphones you need to: 

• Turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds
  • Plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds
  • Unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute
  • Turn on the headset

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Unicornissuesbeep
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

First of all - for some reason I've not had the problems for the last 2-3 days.

But when it happened, yes I did try that without it working.

Hello Boseissuesbeep,

Thanks for updating us on this, I am glad you have not had the issue for a few days. 

Let us know if the issue presents itself again and we can look to help further. 

Have a super day! 

KInd Regards, 

Vicky W 

Unicornissuesbeep
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

Okay so after a month (?) of no problem it happened again. The exact scenario was that my laptop asked for microphone usage (specifically in the iOS simulator (I do iOS development)) somehow and at that exact moment the headphones beeped and started the issues above.

Please forward this to the dev team.

Here is (if I remember correctly) the popup that came, probably with some clues on how to make it happen https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53285441/ios-simulator-would-like-to-access-microphone-every-tim...

Hi Unicornissuesbeep, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this. I am deeply sorry to hear that your issue has returned. 

Have you attempted to use a different set of headphones with this app as from the thread you have linked there is an existing error with this Simulator? 

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B  

Unicornissuesbeep
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

I own only one pair so I cannot check.

The previous post I made was only one way that it broke the sound, I am sure the issue is not in the app itself but something that happens when the laptop request microphone usage. Because this happened before without me using the simulator application at all (e.g. when not at work). So it is just a possible way to investigate, unless your development department already know how to reproduce the issue.

Hi Unicornissuesbeep,

Thank you for that information. 

Have you noticed the issues occur with any other music service since the issue has re-occurred? 

Thank you once again for the information you have provided. Hopefully, we will be able to get to the bottom of your issue soon. 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Kindest,

Jessie O