Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

Re: Headphones 700 stutter and connectivity issues

Thanks everyone for posting here with these details. They are incredibly helpful for our team to have. We have escalated the issues with stuttering to our engineers and are actively working on it with a high priority. Please continue to post with the information I requested if you are running into this issue or others as they will only help us in our investigation!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 12, 2020

Apparenly now the tsparency mode has stopped working for me. Neither pushing nor holding the button works anymore. Visable on the video. Headphones enter the transparency mode and leave it after ca. 3 seconds

Bose NC 700

Headphones1.3.1.2028.de73ce1

Apparenly the transparency mode has stopped working for me. Neither pushing nor holding the button works anymore. Visable on the video. Headphones enter the transparency mode and leave it after ca. 3 seconds.

Galaxy s10+ android 10

It has been occurring lately.

I have taken all the steps, like resetting them, waiting for them to discharge and recharge, clearing the device list

Cheers,

J.M.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Once again, thank you all for the information you have provided us with so far. Our engineers are working on the issue and have come up with a potential work around for Windows 10 users.

@Victor Eklund and Windows 10 users: Could you please switch the audio settings to "Headset (Bose NC 700 HP Hands-Free)"? This should hopefully stop the crackling. Could you please confirm? 

The team is still actively working on this issue for both iOS and Windows users and we will let you know as soon as we have an update.

In the meantime, we look forward to hearing whether the above work around is proving successful.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 21, 2020

In my experience changing to use Handset will result in much inferior sound? 

No - I don't have a bose headset yet, but I'm very interested in this headset, since it ticks all of my "must have" boxes

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

Hello @Anne_S and thank you for noticing us 🙂 

I can't really do what you ask for since there is no way for me to choose the headset as my main audio output in windows, I can only choose Headphones (Bose NC 700 Stereo) as my main device. I can find the headset device under "manage sound devices" but I can't choose it in the list of available devices for sound output. It only exists as an input device, not output.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

Dear all

I am a HUGE Bose fan! Or at least I was until I bought the Bose NC 700 ... 

The NC 700 firmware and Apple IOS software is by far the worst I have ever used on any product! Not very well though through, badly implemented and generally totally unusable.

I have experienced the following:

1. Apple IOS App "Bose Music" (latest version) not connecting, slow in connecting, not repeating to connect when open and huge delays in usability of the app (no buttons can be pressed). Simply poor!

2. After using the HP in telephone mode (Apple iPhone X, latest IOS/SW) the reception distorts and the HP need to be turned off and on and reconnected to work properly again. Same goes for the transmission - complaints on the other side that my voice can not be understood. The HP need to be turned off and on and reconnected to work properly again.

3. The ability to turn on and off device connectivity is great, but please improve the stability of the app! So flakey right now ...

4. Sometimes the HP do not charge - have not figured out how to reliably reproduce this problem, but it sucks.
5. Sometimes the announcement of the battery level does not agree with the battery level the app on the iPhone X displays.

Bad usability:

1. Do not mute the song or the entire telephone conversation when the noise cancellation mode is changed or another adjustment is made and the voice over announces it. Overlay the voice instead! And no, I do not want to turn it off since I then do not know what mode I am in.

2. Why can you not mute the phone when the mute button is pressed? Having two independent mute functions is confusing the useless.

3. Allow the noise cancellation mode to be "off" - I am affected by the sound pressure when the NC is on all the time, but I do not want to have to start the (unreliable) app every time to turn NC off when I start the headphones.

4. To turn on and off, require the button to be pressed for some time, not just for a microsecond. Due to the design it is too easy to touch these buttons accidentally.

5. The wind noise is unbearable (feedback own voice on "low") - can that be improved?

Most of these problems are repeatable and have been there from the beginning - bought the HP in early January.

Requested information:

• Bose product model NC 700 Headphones
  • Bose product firmware version 1.3.1-2026+de73ce1
  • Bose app version iPhone X / IOS 13.3.1 / 3.1.6

Hope this helps to improve this deficient system.

Cheers,

Claus.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 27, 2020

>Could you please switch the audio settings to "Headset (Bose NC 700 HP Hands-Free)"?

Wut?! That's a ridiculous answer. There must have been a communication breakdown somewhere or your engineer isn't actually familiar with bluetooth at all.

Bluetooth has a number of "profiles" and they all have strengths and limitations. The two that matter here are the stereo sound profile and the headset profile. If you select the "hands-free" output, then you're using the headset profile. The headset profile has microphone support, mono sounds, and really low bit rate that sounds like a phone call. You don't get stereo sound no one would ever want to listen to music using it because you're not supposed to try.

This is the most disappointing response you could have provided. It's worse than saying "we don't know" because your engineer just pretended to know what they were talking about.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 20, 2020

bose knows the problem is rooted in the **bleep**ty app software. I use the headphones for work and need a separate set of headphones each for computer and phone. The app is too unreliable to switch between devices. Fix it! Or give us money back! I could have bought 2 pairs of jabras that a lot of people love for one set of bose.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 12, 2020

Bose NC 700

Headphones 1.3.1.2028.de73ce1

Well the connectivity is sitll an issue. Being connected to 2 devices at once causes a crackling sound on the headphones. I.e. My 700s connect to my phone, and to my mac/pc. If i try listening to something on my mac/pc there crackling will occure. Disconnecting my phone fixes an issue.

Galaxy s10+ android 10, Win 10, Mac os (newest edition)

It has been occurring since the beginning.

I have taken all the steps, like resetting them, waiting for them to discharge and recharge, clearing the device list

Cheers,

J.M.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 16, 2020

Re: Don't buy Bose NC 700

I agree 100% with what Victor said in his first post.

I love the headset when they work, they simply don't work reliably.

There was a suggestion made to Victor that he could solve the problem using NC 700 HP Handsfree AG Audio (which you can easily switch to in Windows - click the speaker icon in the windows bar, then the little arrow in the top right corner to switch). However, this does NOT help at all. If anything, in my experience NC 700 HP Handsfree is worse than NC 700 HP Stereo.

I'm connected to a Note10+ and Surface Book.

Bose App: 3.0.2

FW: 1.3.1.2028.de73ce1

I'm using Google Meet for conferencing and they can work well for 10 or 20 minutes, then I simply lose sound. BT still seems to be connected. I can flick from Hands free to HP Stereo and sometimes that will work. But I typically switch to using the Surface speaker and mic. I can switch back (in the same call still) to Hands Free and sometimes it's working again, sometimes it isn't.

I returned my first NC700 after a week, thinking it was a hardware fault. My second NC700 is exactly the same - that's when I started googling and found this forum.

I've not used the NC700s for about 3w, too unreliable, I've been waiting for Bose support to get back to me - they pointed me here!

I used them today successfully for 1.5hr using Google Hangouts Meet - connected to my Note10+ phone. Will try the Surface again next week.

Seems like there won't be a quick fix for this in a hurry though, seems to me like it's been a well known issue for a year. If I have more problems I'll have to send these back as they are unreliable and I therefore simply can't use them 😞Unless Bose can confirm they understand the issue and will actually get this resolved in the not-to-distant future.

What do you say Bose, I'm happy to work with you to help get this fixed if I can, but if it can't be fixed I'll need to pursue a refund, as I have no use for these if they can't work reliably.

Regards

Rob