Feb 25, 2021

Media sounds are cut off when I join a calling app on my windows 10 laptop

Bose product name

QC 35, acquired in 2018

Country

France

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)
Windows 10 with the latest update

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

As the title says, any media sound is muted when I start a discord call. I'm talking about discord because it's the only app I use for voice chat, I don't know if it does that bug on other voice chat apps.

Connect the headset -> turn on a media (music app, video feed, stream service, video game, etc.) -> start a discord call

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

Calm living room where only my gaming laptop and my phone are equipped with bluetooth. But I never have the bluetooth turned on on both devices at the same time, I only turn the bluetooth on on the device I use with the headset.

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Yesterday or two days ago.

Any troubleshooting steps you took

I tried everything I could think of : deactivate and reactivate stereo and hands-free canals in windows sounds settings, unpair and pair up the headset in the bluetooth settings, changing input and output sources on discord, checking and changing the sounds source in the windows sounds settings. Nothing works.

PS : also I can't use the headset mic when it is plugged using the jack cord and I can't use the mic integrated in my laptop either

7 REPLIES 7
Jessie_O

Re: Media sounds are cut off when I join a calling app on my windows 10 laptop

Hey MetalLily, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

Can you tell me if this worked previously?

Are you using Discord on the same PC you are gaming on? Or are you using this on a mobile device whilst gaming on your PC? Can you tell me if you are experiencing this issue with discord on a separate device? 

In regards to the microphone, if you have a cable connected to the Bose QC35 II's, you will be unable to use the microphone on your headset. You will need to use the one on your laptop. I understand you are experiencing an issue with using the laptop mic? Could you elaborate on this? 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
MetalLily
Participant
Registered since

Feb 25, 2021

Hi Jessie_O, thanks for your answer.

It worked perfectly fine before, i was using discord on the same PC I am playing on, but since that bug I use it on my phone. I use the wireless headset for gaming on my pc and wired earphones for discord on my phone, it's not really convenient but it works.

Also I have a QC 35, not a QC 35 II. When I connect it to my pc with the provided jack cord I can't even use the laptop's mic, as if it override the laptop's mic and blocks me from using it. But since I don't own any external mics I don't know if it would work or not

Jessie_O

Thanks for coming back to us!

Thank you for correcting me on your headset series. The headset shouldn't be interfering with your ability to select your microphone on the laptop. Do you get an error message or is it greyed out? 

Did you notice anything new happen with your PC? Like an update?

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
MetalLily
Participant
Registered since

Feb 25, 2021

I don't get any errors or greyed out options, when I select my laptop's microphone it's selected but it doesn't work. Also I didn't notice any updates, sorry it's a mess 

Jessie_O

No problem at all, we will work through it!

Does the mic on the laptop work when the headphones are not plugged in? How about when you connect through Bluetooth? 

MetalLily
Participant
Registered since

Feb 25, 2021

It works when it's not plugged in or connected via bluetooth, the only time it doesn't work is when I use the jack cord (provided with the headset, bose official) to connect it to my laptop (an Asus TUF from 2019).

Vicky_W

@MetalLily, thanks for confirming this. The microphone will only work via Bluetooth, as you are experiencing. As soon as that cable gets connected, all onboard communications via Bluetooth are disabled. You will need to use a QC25 audio cable if you would like cabled audio as this has a inline microphone (a microphone on the cord like most corded headphones. You can purchase this by reaching out to support in your region using the details here. I hope this helps.