bfetahu
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 15, 2018

Microphone amplifies background noise

Hi, 

I have read many of the similar posts regarding the issues with the firmware updates and the problems with the amplified background noise from the microphone. I have Bose SoundLink AE2 headphones, and have bought them 2 weeks ago. 

After upgrading to the newest firmware 2.5.3 (from the Bose connect app), now the perfectly working microphone in windy and environments with backgrounds noise does not work as it did. In the beginning wind and other noise was not problematic while using the MIC, now all these are super amplified so that the microphone function is useless.

A downgrade is not possible for this type of headphones as on the update site, I can see only the latest firmware (even after going into advanced mode a+d+v+up arrow+down arrow). Do you guys have a fix for this or should I already return back these headphones?

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Besnik

60 REPLIES 60

Re: Microphone amplifies background noise

Hi bfetahu,

Thanks for posting and sharing your experience with your Soundlink AE2 headphones. There really isn't anything in an update that would change the way the microphones work.

We tuned the communication microphones, mainly used for telephone conversations to the human voice frequency range. They automatically adjust the gain (microphone volume) for “low talkers”. In a loud environment where there are voices in the background, it’s possible the microphones will pick up those background voices and bring up the gain. This can send the background voices through to the far end person on a call. The person wearing the headset may hear this too (sidetone). Talking louder allows the communication microphone to pick up your voice over background voices and/or sounds in the same frequency range. It’s important to note that mobile devices and cell networks may also perform automatic gain adjustments to the communication microphones’ audio path, try another mobile device and see if the far end audio improves.

You could always contact your local Bose support for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down until you see "Contact Us".

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

bfetahu
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 15, 2018

Thanks for your quick reply. However, as mentioned, the change on how the microphone reacts to background noise changed with the firmware update. In that case, since there is no way to downgrade the firmware I will simply return the headphones.

a_li
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 29, 2018

I don't think the feature/tuning is working as intended. During a call, a really quiet sound (that won't typically get my attention, like somebody walking softly) becomes really loud. It's impossible to have a call with the headphones on. It looks like this problem has been there for at least a year. Still no update?

Davidsen
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 26, 2018

Is there any big improvements between the QC 35 2 and the Soundlink when it comes to the microphone and background noise.?

I was planning to buy the QC 35 2 but if its anything close to the soundlink it is completely useless unless you sit home with no noise what so ever.

The smallest background noise gets amplified to a level that people in the other end get annoyed rather quickly.

Except for this, I'm very happy with the soundink, i have, I have used them for years...... very ruff and they just work, but the microphone is simply useless in an office landscape or any other place with the smallest form of background noise (birds or smallest breeze or what ever sound really gets amplified to a level which annoy people listening to your call).

Jarle

Oxymoron
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 13, 2019

I have this issue as well and agree with the OP, the amplication of background noise is crazy and others I am on a call with can hear all background noises.. have to mute everytime I am not talking. Any update coming soon please?

Hello,

Thanks for providing your feedback. Sorry to hear about your experience. As mentioned before, we tuned the communication microphones, mainly used for telephone conversations to the human voice frequency range. In a loud environment where there are voices in the background, it’s possible the microphones will pick up those background voices and bring up the gain. This can send the background voices through to the far end person on a call. The person wearing the headset may hear this too (sidetone). Talking louder allows the communication microphone to pick up your voice over background voices and/or sounds in the same frequency range. 

This is the intended design, and there is no further update available.

You may also try moving to a quiet location if that is possible and try the call again. If people are having difficulty hearing you when you call from a quiet location, we recommend that you contact our local Bose Support for further assistance. 

Contact information can be found here. 

Thank you again,

Mohsin

Davidsen
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 26, 2018

Thanks for your feedback Mohsin_S.
Though this has absolutely nothing to do with loud background or noisy places. If you sit home in your home with zero noise, the smallest thing gets amplified like moving a paper, filling a glass of water it basically amplify the smallest sound, they only work if you are in a total silent location and you not moving whatsoever.
Dcdcjr3
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 23, 2019

Yes. It seems with answers from Bose like the ones above, they really don't have any intention of addressing the problem. I'm so tired if having issues with firmware. Aalways products from Holliday times. Switching to the new Sony. My friend has them. They are amazing. And can even turn off the ambient noise. I totally agree this amplifies even a silent room.
dteter31
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 7, 2019

Is it possible for the sidetone to be turned off when the headphones are on mute? That would help solve the problem when you are listening on a call for example and don't need to speak often.