Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 12, 2019

Re: Microphone amplifies background noise

I did contact my local customer support and the options were getting a replacement QC II (which as seen in this post several times would have the same problem) or get the previous model instead . Why would I want an older model tho ? I coulda bought that one if I wanted to have it .. Where's the money back option , no matter when or where you bought a QC II ? Dont bs yourself , anything else but ecactly money back no questions asked is alienating future customers - and rightfully so ! 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 2, 2020

I’m glad this is being brought up. I purchased several of these headsets for many individuals in my company because I liked using them on planes and I have been rather upset with my employees when they use their new wireless noise canceling Bose Headsets on calls because their background noise becomes a massive distraction to everybody.  It’s most frustrating when they are on calls with clients because they don’t know how bad they are sounding.  You can’t hear your own background noise, only others can. Try seeing you is always so good because when the person ultimately have to talk they are still competing with so many other noises that sound like they are speaking into the microphone too! Trying to mute is only so good because when the person ultimately has to talk they are still competing with so many other background noises that sound like they are foreground noises!  However, the most recent pair I bought one of my employees happens to be working better than the rest. The only thing different is that it is silver, not black like the rest, and and I bought it most recently so perhaps there was some change despite being the same model.  I doubt the color has anything to do with it however just thought I would mention it.  Glad to know something is up with you then about this.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 1, 2020

In the same boat, I've always believed Bose was a top-of-the-line brand, and was baffled by the horrible quality of calls made from said products..

For my family I've bought multiple pairs of both QuietcomfortII & Soundsport Free (paying a premium price), but was totally surprised by my initial attempts to use them for making calls... When making a call and having a conversation, you usually stay silent while the other person is speaking, this brings the auto-gain up to insane levels until I got a feedback-loop of the background airconditioning unit, which is super low. This until the reciever of my call had to tear out his earbuds due to deafening volume. As soon as I speak, the gain go back to normal levels and the person I'm calling can hear me loud and clear without background sounds blowing his speakers. But as soon as I'm quiet for a few seconds, the gain goes through the roof! And being unable to disable this auto-gain makes no sense for a headset of this price range... The auto gain implementation is simply horrible.

I have $25 headsets and earbuds working 10 times better in this regard.

I want to love my Bose products, they where fantastic up until I started to use the microphone.

Being into electronics, hardware and software prototyping/development, I simply can't understand this kind of problem still being an issue in 2020, especially for a brand like Bose...

(Yes, I've updated firmwares, done all troubleshooters, tried other headphones of same models)

My question in simple, will you at least give us the option to disable the auto gain?

If no, I'll hope my items can still be returned, and stick to my $25 earbuds...

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

Hello all, please be gentle as although I'm fairly technical I generally don't pont post to forums like this. So like many users here I purchased the Bose QC II based on my past experience (I still have the smaller Bose QC 3 headphones but wanted wireless, reviews, as well as someone from France having the same set & using in the office.

Although I love the headphones for music on the tube and the noise cancelling effect on planes (remember being able to do that)! I really suffered from callers hearing background noise rather than me, using these for calls, especially as my office was large and open plan.

I've just spoken to JL to try and get a resolution however their tech support said that they can't do a refund unless Bose acknowledge that this is a fault rather than a sensitive mic issue.

I've looked  through the old posts but can't see, has anyone got a reference or date for when Bose acknowledge the fault, is there a reference number maybe??? Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 31, 2020

I am chagrined to see this chain began 2 years ago and the problem still is not addressed.  At this point I am planning to find new headphones that will not make it impossible for me to use these on conference calls.  Why hasn't Bose fixed this with so many consistent complaints??

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

So ladies & gents

to draw this sorry, sad journey to an end (for me at least), I spoke to John Lewis again and spoke to a different support guy, I wanted to make 2 points, 

1. On the box for the headphones the 2nd point says Noise-rejecting mic array for clear calls

2. Share the link to this discussion which was different to the discussion that the 1st JL support guy found.

So after a bit the guy was almost in agreement but needed to get a 2nd opinion & clarification. Then my daughter & wife started talking in the kitchen (I was in the dining room), he asked my to talk, which I did & after clarifying where they were he agreed this was a fault & process a refund there & then... So well done JL, I've loved my headphones for music, planes & tube but NOT for phone calls & noise-reduction! Good luck to the rest of you...