mfalkvidd
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

Microphone not working on QC 35 I

The microphone on my QC 35 I headphones does not work. The other person can not hear me.

Noise cancelling and listening works without problems, both for playing music and taking calls. I have tested on my ipad and iphone.

I have tried the following procedure:

• Turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds
  • Plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds
  • Unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute
  • Turn on the headset

I have cleared the bluetooth pairing and re-paired, still same problem.

Changing the noise cancelling level (or turning it off) by using the Bose app does not affect the microphone.

If I use the voice recorder on my iphone and yell, I can hear faint sounds if I turn the volume to max when playing back the recording. If I tap the microphone area hard with my fingers, it also gives a (very) faint sound when playing back the recording. Same result on the ipad.

Voice recording and taking calls works fine when using the phone's own microphone and a wired headset. A different bluetooth headset also works.

The firmware version is 3.0.3 which is the latest at them moment.

All buttons work fine; I can adjust volume, play/pause/skip, etc.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Charlotte_G

Re: Microphone not working on QC 35 I

Author Accepted Answer selected by mfalkvidd

Hello mfalkvidd,

Thanks for posting!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with the microphone on your QC35's. 

It's great that you have taken the time to perform this testing. You have already exhausted the troubleshooting methods available and therefore, it sounds that there is definitely an internal fault with the microphone. I would then recommend that you contact our customer support team to explore your service options. 

Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
Charlotte_G

Author Accepted Answer selected by mfalkvidd

Hello mfalkvidd,

Thanks for posting!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with the microphone on your QC35's. 

It's great that you have taken the time to perform this testing. You have already exhausted the troubleshooting methods available and therefore, it sounds that there is definitely an internal fault with the microphone. I would then recommend that you contact our customer support team to explore your service options. 

Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

MarcelLengacher
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 25, 2020

Hey there.. 

I have the exact same problem and tried all the troubleshooting methods as well. 

How was your Problem solved in the end?

Maybe it can help me to get this issue fixed as well.

Thanks and best regards

mfalkvidd
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

I contacted Bose support. Since the headset had been working nicely for more than three years, it was no longer under warranty and they had no further suggestions for troubleshooting.

I decided to buy a new pair.

My partner is using the old pair for listening to music and audiobooks when travelling.

MarcelLengacher
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 25, 2020

Ok thats bad to hear. As if you search for this issue many people face the exact same it is disappointing  to hear that Bose doesn't come up with a solution as it is definitely a firmwarebug.

My pair is also out of the warranty what makes it usless to contact the support.

Thanks anyway for your information. 

mfalkvidd
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

I got a special offer from Bose support, so I wouldn't say contacting them is useless. But I don't know if that was a temporary thing or something they usually do.

MarcelLengacher
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 25, 2020

Ok thanks for letting me know.

Jems2020
Contributor
Registered since

May 6, 2020

Exactly the same issue since couple of day and same trials done

The microphone on my QC 35 I headphones does not work. The other person can not hear me.

Noise cancelling and listening works without problems, both for playing music and taking calls. I have tested on my samsung S7 Edge + Laptop.

I have tried the following procedure:

• Turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds
  • Plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds
  • Unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute
  • Turn on the headset

- I have cleared the bluetooth pairing and re-paired, still same problem.

- Changing the noise cancelling level (or turning it off) by using the Bose app does not affect the microphone.

- If I use the voice recorder on my S7 and yell, I can hear faint sounds if I turn the volume to max when playing back the recording. If I tap the microphone area hard with my fingers, it also gives a (very) faint sound when playing back the recording.

- Same result on the PC.

- Curiously the voice recognition looks working fine on WhatsApp dictation - means that the microphone can detect my voice - but not in a call, time to time people tell me they can hear a word from far far distance...

- Same issue if i want to take a call from Skype on PC... Hearing well, no one can hear me except time to time a 'far away noise'

- Voice recording and taking calls works fine when using the phone's own microphone and a wired headset. A different bluetooth headset also works.

The firmware version is 3.0.3 which is the latest at them moment.

All buttons work fine; I can adjust volume, play/pause/skip, etc.

Please give us assistance, as i see many users are recently experiencing the same issue

jonathanlking
Participant
Registered since

May 8, 2020

I’m experiencing exactly the same issue, also a QC 35 I. The microphone has not been working since September last year (so about 8 months ago). I used it very rarely, so wasn’t very bothered, however recently having to work from home I now need to make lots of calls, so it’s super annoying. I tried WhatsApp dictation, but that didn’t work for me either (iPhone 7).

ajtaggart
Participant
Registered since

May 8, 2020

Exactly the same for myself, had these headphones for a touch over three years and the microphone hasn’t worked for as long as I can remember. Previously had never bothered me, but it’s now much more frustrating given these headphones were a pricey purchase back when I bought them. Given the circumstances, having to make lots of calls without the microphone makes working hands free a lot more difficult.

Just like the original poster of this thread had done, I tried the software reset and everything else on multiple occasions. Similarly, you can hear faint pops when tapping the microphone with force in voice recordings, however no other sound is recorded.

It would be nice to hear back from a member of staff if there is a way we can have the device repaired (given it’s past the two year warranty) for a price cheaper than having to buy a new pair altogether since the headphones and noise cancelling still function perfectly like the day I got them.

Really makes me regret not getting this fixed under warranty a year ago.

(iPhone 11 Pro Max & MacBook Pro)