Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2020

Microphone stops working with VoIP

I have a pair of NC700 headphones that I love for music but cannot stand for VoIP calls. It fails at around 7 minutes for Zoom, Teams, Skype, etc. I can hear the other side, but they cannot hear me. If I swap to another device and then back it works, but then will fail in another 7 minutes or so. 

I've updated both my headphones and my Bluetooth drivers to the latest version. As far as I can tell this is a software issue on the headphone side as NO other Bluetooth device suffers from this.

This is INCREDIBLY frustrating for an expensive piece of hardware and not an issue my coworkers with the Sony noise cancelling headsets suffer from. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Microphone stops working with VoIP

Hi arden13,

Very sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700's during  VoIP calls. 

Do these work fine until this approximate 7 minute mark then they no longer continue to work?

Have you taken a look into your computer audio settings to ensure that your Headphone microphone is enabled during these calls?

Do let us know if you have tried any further troubleshooting aside from disconnecting, we would love to help. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2020

Yes they work fine until the seven minute mark. They then stop microphone only, though the audio to the headphones still functions.

I have of course checked to see if they are enabled and set up correctly. That is how I determined that switching away and back temporarily fixes it for another 7 minutes. This is clearly a firmware issue as others have reported the same behavior. 

Thanks, arden13.

Do you find this only happens with VOIP calls on the one device? Have you tried placing calls using services like Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, Teams, Skype on a smartphone, for instance? Do you experience the same issues?

Have you also tried unpairing and re-pairing the headphones?

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2020

Its been a while since I tested, but I believe it happens with Discord on my phone, I have not tried it with other applications. 

I have unpaired and repaired a myriad of times.

Thanks for coming back to us! 

I would recommend making sure that you have the auto-off set to 'never' in the application. Hopefully, this should keep your microphone active whilst you are on a call. 

Let me know if this helps! 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2020

Auto-off is set to never and has never been anything else. It appears to me as though this is a driver issue with the headphones themselves.

Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2020

Do do we have any ideas? These headphones haven't exactly fixed themselves and there is no combination of device and VOIP software that seems to work.

Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2020

So, wrapping things up, the expert advice from the Bose moderators is "update" and "check your settings"

This is an embarrassingly bad level of support for such an expensive product. 

Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2020

Oh, I forgot the expert "is it enabled" question.

Top notch.