Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2019

Re: NC 700 - Can you disable AUTO-OFF?

I'm in the same situation.  These are virtually useless for accepting phone calls in a work type situation which is just the reason I have them.  I switched to these mostly because of the mic pickup improvements to help make my phone conversations more clear when I'm in less than ideal locations.  But, having to turn them on while answering calls is a deal breaker and I'll be returning these if there is no fix for this.

1. Does the headset power off while on phone calls via a cellular network or when making a VOIP call using skype?  No, never.
  2. What software version are the headphones running?  firmware version 1.1.4.1144.be3bf4b
  3. Are you standing up or lying down when the headset shuts off?  They are generally on the table next to me where I work waiting for me to pick them up when I receive a phone call.
  4. Is your headset “auto-off timer” is set to “never”?  Right now yes but I've also tried other settings with the same results.  No matter what the auto-off timer is set to they shut off in 10 minutes.
  5. What source are you connected to when the issue occurs? Primarily a Samsung S8 but also happens with a Samsung Tab S2 and a windows laptop.
Highlighted

Hi Troy carter, 

Thank you for your post and for answering our questions! 

This information is most helpful and will be passed onto the development team to look into. 

I encourage anyone else in the Community to reach out to us also. 

Kindest,

Jessie O 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

@Jessie_O wrote:

Hi Troy carter, 

Thank you for your post and for answering our questions! 

This information is most helpful and will be passed onto the development team to look into. 

I encourage anyone else in the Community to reach out to us also. 

Kindest,

Jessie O 

Same issue here. Tried with never 3 hours and 1 hour. If I’m on a plane or r napping or not wearing them they turn off after 10minutes. Frankly ridiculous. 

Highlighted

Hi rudabb, 

Thanks for posting and providing us with this information and feedback. 

Could you please answer the following: 

1. Does the headset power off while on phone calls via a cellular network or when making a VOIP call using skype? 
  2. What software version are the headphones running?
  3. Are you standing up or lying down when the headset shuts off?
  4. Is your headset “auto-off timer” is set to “never”?
  5. What source are you connected to when the issue occurs? 

I look forward to hearing back from you regarding this! 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

@Hector_B wrote:

Hi rudabb, 

Thanks for posting and providing us with this information and feedback. 

Could you please answer the following: 

1. Does the headset power off while on phone calls via a cellular network or when making a VOIP call using skype?NO
  2. What software version are the headphones running?1.1.4.1144.BE3BF4B
  3. Are you standing up or lying down when the headset shuts off?LYING DOWN ,NAPPING,ON PLANE,LAYING ON DESK
  4. Is your headset “auto-off timer” is set to “never”?TRIED ALL EXCEPT 5 MINUTES AND 20 MINUTES
  5. What source are you connected to when the issue occurs? ANY SOURCE,IPAD,S10,IPHONE ..

I look forward to hearing back from you regarding this! 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 31, 2017

I am not sure why customers are being asked for all of this information about usage, connections, etc.    To the Bose admins, this "feature" is specifically laid out on page 17 of your NC700 owners manual, so whatever info you're collecting about how the shut-off is occurring seems moot since this is an intentional design element in these headphones.   

"AUTO-OFF
Auto-off conserves the headphone battery by using motion-detection. The
headphones power off when you have not moved the headphones for 10 minutes.
To wake the headphones, press the Power/Bluetooth button."

Having people return the headphones for replacements seems a waste of time and money for Bose and the customer as well since the replacement headphones will also do exactly what page 17 in your owners manual says it will, so customers will get another pair that will auto-shutoff after no motion for 10 minutes.   That has already been communicated in the threads on this issue.  

This "feature" simply wasn't well thought out by the engineers on the NC700 project.  Sure, saving battery is great, but considering the use cases for these headphones, it's self-defeating.  I am sure a firmware update can package the ability to disable this and in turn increase satisfaction and customer promotion of Bose products.   $400 is a lot of money for most people to drop on a product that isn't suitable for stable use beyond 10 minutes. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 15, 2019

T bag.  Very well said!!!!!   Thank you for stating such an obvious lack of service from Bose on this new product!  

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

I also have this problem. It is especially annoying as I use the 700’s for meditation and hence I remain perfectly still . Consequently the headphones assume I am no longer there and alarm me with the full volume “power down chime”. 

Yes I have tried the different auto off settings to no avail because this is not the same auto off motion detector / timer. Please Bose sort this out. I feel let down.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

It's true, I have read the manual page 17.  But you would think the the setting of turnoff (3 hours,never,etc..) would super-seed this auto-setting ..otherwise it's extremely silly. Why have this option otherwise if regardless,it will shut down in 10 minutes?

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Same issue here. They shut down while I am lying down listening to music. Auto Off is set to never. Pretty annoying this can not be turned off. New firmware please! 🙂