Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

Re: NC 700 - Can you disable AUTO-OFF?

As a follow up, I’m definitely going to return these headphones in the next couple days if I don’t get a response with a timetable of it getting fixed.

i don’t want to be stuck with these headphones if it’s not going to happen. I’d rather buy another brand without the feature.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 15, 2019

@Bbradley2013 wrote:

As a follow up, I’m definitely going to return these headphones in the next couple days if I don’t get a response with a timetable of it getting fixed.

i don’t want to be stuck with these headphones if it’s not going to happen. I’d rather buy another brand without the feature.

Couldnt agree more, I have been waiting for more then two months now and nothing but lip service from Bose.  So the 700s are gone and replaced with Bang and Olefson; couldn’t be happier.  You’ve lost a dedicated customer forever Bose.  

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 15, 2019

I returned mine a few weeks ago sadly.  Bose have lost me as a valued customer I’m afraid. 

Highlighted

Hi all, 

We can assure you that the development team is aware of this matter. It was an intended feature, however, with all of the feedback, the development team is looking to produce a solution.

We thank you for your patience.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

After a couple of weeks of issues with HDMI ARC and the Soundbar 700, Bose finally released a firmware update that solved the problem.

As a loyal Bose customer who is about to by flying almost nonstop for the next three weeks, I decided to give Bose some more of my money and purchased the NC 700s.  They are supposed to arrive today!

It is with much dismay that I just now decided to check this subforum, fully expecting to hear glowing reviews about these headphones.  I was already envisioning being able to rest in blissful silence on my longest flight, from LAX to JFK.  

So to be clear, am I to understand that if I doze off while on the plane, my headphones are going to turn themselves off?  This can't be true.  I refuse to believe that a company like Bose would release such a product and feature without giving customers the ability to disable it.  

What about if I am in a conference room, and need to use the restroom.  I leave my headphones on the desk, come back in 11 minutes, and if I get a phone call, the headphones will have already turned off?  Again, this can't be true.  

Someone please tell me this is a joke.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

If you sit very still for 10 minutes, the headphones turn off. Just to make sure you know this in case you are napping, they play a loud shutdown sound to wake you up! 

It's been eight weeks now and no update. For gods sake just change the timer to 999 minutes Bose until you can make a permanent fix. Firmware is easily updatable, or is that broken too? 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

@matt4211 wrote:

If you sit very still for 10 minutes, the headphones turn off. Just to make sure you know this in case you are napping, they play a loud shutdown sound to wake you up! 

It's been eight weeks now and no update. For gods sake just change the timer to 999 minutes Bose until you can make a permanent fix. Firmware is easily updatable, or is that broken too? 

I just got my headphones.  Setup (Android) as an absolute nightmare, and this is coming from someone with a lot of Bose products already, including the Sound Bar 700 (which uses the Bose Music App).

Anyway, I got it all set up.  Sounds okay.  Pretty comfy.

Here's my thought regarding the auto shut off.  I bet anything that they engineered a physical component inside the headphones (like a mercury switch, but not mercury....or a gyro) that literally, physically tells the headphone power to shut off.  If that is the case, then NO firmware update in the world will fix it, or allow us an option to disable the feature.  It's hard-wired into the headphones itself.

I really hope I'm wrong, because these headphones definitely have a place in my life (especially travel).  But if I'm right, then Bose is going to be getting a lot of returned headphones (and maybe a class action lawsuit) on their hands.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 29, 2019

If that is the case its indeed like a gyro, then Bose needs to provide an answer or recall them or provide the place where we can take them to be fix.  If they want the top of the noise cancelling arena again, they'll do something sooner then later before it's to late.

If a repair is not the answer,  maybe do what Samsung did a few years ago with the note 7, do an exchange and yes we all know how that ended but is showed what a company needed to do to keep their customers. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

@henryjrm1970 wrote:

If that is the case its indeed like a gyro, then Bose needs to provide an answer or recall them or provide the place where we can take them to be fix.  If they want the top of the noise cancelling arena again, they'll do something sooner then later before it's to late.

If a repair is not the answer,  maybe do what Samsung did a few years ago with the note 7, do an exchange and yes we all know how that ended but is showed what a company needed to do to keep their customers. 

I mean think about it.  These headphones were released months ago, and the shut-off issue was immediately made known to Bose.  The chorus of complaints has grown louder, and any engineer or manager with half a brain can immediately recognize the fundamental flaw in the design (i.e., noise cancelling headphones that shut off when movement isn't detected for 10 minutes).  I mean, how absurd is that?

Anyway, my point is, this issue has been known long enough that IF firmware could fix it, they would have already released an update.

Since there have been no updates, it supports my theory that the cut off switch is physically integrated into the headphone's power loop, and there is no software fix for that.  It's not just a sensor, it's actually a physical on/off gate, much like a thermostat.

If so, Bose is probably pooping themselves because they know what a disaster they have on their hands.

Again, I hope I am wrong...I will eat every crow on earth if it is deserving.  But as is, what else are we left to conclude?

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 8, 2019

My thoughts exactly. I don’t think a firmware update will fix this. I sent mine back. I’m so sad.