Chron0
Participant
Registered since

Aug 28, 2020

NC 700 Charging Gets Extremely Hot & Battery Announcement Does not Change

Hi, 

I've noticed that there have been a couple of threads on this already but none of the solutions posted there seemed to work for me. 

The 2 Issues:

- When charging with the provided black USB-A -> USB-C cable, the USB-C end of the cable gets extremely hot to the point where it is painful to handle even through the insulated end. The area around the headphones USB-C female port is also noticeably warm. Also, as soon as the headphones are plugged in using the provided charging cable, the headphones turn on and look for a device to sync with and the white light stays solid instead of flashing as its supposed to to indicate charging. From previous forum posts, this does not seem to be normal and the proposed fix was to reset the device (https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/product-reset-headphones.html) and to update to latest firmware via btu.bose.com. Neither of these seem to resolve the issue. However switching to another cable generic USB-A -> USB-C cable seems to have resolved this issue for me (no crazy over heat, headphones do not turn on to look for a device to sync with, and blinking white light). My question is, is this cable issue or headphone issue? Should I be concerned? 

- After charging, the internal battery announcement does not update itself. Again, I've tried resetting the device as instructed (https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/product-reset-headphones.html) as well as updating to latest firmware through btu.bose.com

Background:

Purchased NC 700 headphones for 2020 Father's Day so these are less than 3 months old. Didn't get around to unboxing this until 8/24 and on third charge these issues started popping up. Previously, the Bose provided black USB-A -> USB-C cable seemed to work fine as the lights would blink during charging and the internal battery announcement would refresh itself after each charge. 

4 REPLIES 4
Charlotte_G

Re: NC 700 Charging Gets Extremely Hot & Battery Announcement Does not Change

Hey @Chron0, welcome to the Bose Community! 

I'm very sorry to hear about these issues with the charging of your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. 

First and foremost, it is concerning that your charging cable is producing this amount of heat. I would strongly urge you to contact our customer support team to look into this matter further. as we want to eliminate any safety concerns. Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'

Regarding the battery announcement, are you able to describe what's happening with this a little further? Would you say that the announcement doesn't reach 20hrs?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
vineethpbharadwaj
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 4, 2019

hello @Chron0 

I would suggest you to get your headphones replaced or get refund from Bose and go for something better. The battery issue in this headphones is already legendary. Recently, there have been many instances of battery port burning down or melting. I feel you too would have end-up in a similar situation had you not noticed the heating and disconnected the charger on time.

I feel this headphones should come with a fire-hazard symbol on it.. I always keep an eye on it when charging and never charge it over-night..

To say this isn't an isolated incident, here are few more threads where many people have reported similar issue:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Burned-molten-spots-around-charging-port-afte...

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Charging-port-on-Bose-700-melted/td-p/536449

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Bose-NC-700-charging-port/td-p/284448

Notthekarenyouhate
Participant
Registered since

Oct 23, 2020

Please help! Can this be replaced? 

IMG-5fef1c3ba22a8734843a781ef858d649-V.jpg

Charlotte_G

Hey @Notthekarenyouhate, thanks for posting. Welcome to the Bose Community!

I am sorry to see that your headphones have been damaged. This certainly shouldn't be happening and I would strongly recommend not using the headphones from here on. Please contact our customer support as soon as you can to resolve this. Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!