uber27
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

NC 700 Headphones: Audio Dropouts When Connected to Multiple Devices

I am having constant dropouts/glitches when connected to both my MacBook Pro and my iPhone Xs.  If I am only connected to my iPhone, I do not have the same dropouts.  It's almost like both devices are fighting for control.  If I turn off the connection to my iPhone manually in the app, the connection is better, but I still get occasional drops.  This seems to be extra apparent when I have Spotify open on both devices (same account...I know the NCH700's use which device is playing to figure out who has control, and both would probably be in play status at the same time).  Note I have performed the manual SW update to 1.1.4 and have performed BT pairing list resets and the manual USB plug-in reset/reboot procedure with no imporvement.

I'd like to also cast a vote for the option to connect to one device at a time and manually cycle using the bluetooth button like the QC35's.

As a side-note, I have also run into the same issue as others have reported with the app refusing to connect and/or reconnect to the device.  Resolution (if you want to call it that) is to delete both the BT pairings from the phone, reset the pairing list on the headphones, and run the pairing process again.

Definitely some bugs to work out on these...hope they can all be resolved in firmware.  Seems these did not bake long enough in alpha/beta testing.

5 REPLIES 5
perdiddy
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 16, 2019

Re: NC 700 Headphones: Audio Dropouts When Connected to Multiple Devices

I am experiencing these similar problems with my Bose NC 700 (Firmware 1.1.4), iPhone X (iOS 12.4).  I often loop white noise tracks on Spotify > iOS when I sleep, but with the Bose 700, there is one major problem so far.  The Audio randomly drops every time within 15 minutes to an hour followed by a relatively thunderous, stringed instrument bow strike that, compared to the soft hiss of the white noise, is much louder, jarring. A rude awakening.  So far I have not had this same issue on Spotify > MacBook Pro 2015 (OS Mojave v.latest).  Maybe other players would work, but I have not tested them.  Also, tried all the reset, update, troubleshooting steps more than once, but no joy.

Regarding the Bose audio sound prompts, there should be a stealth/silent mode baked into the App where no prompts whatsoever (voice or audio) will play unless the listener requests sort of a "status update" through a gesture, or something like it.  The thunderous bass bow audio prompt strike is cool, perhaps conjuring up images of a Great White Shark lurking in the deep water, but many of us use the headphones to block out noise all together, like for example when trying for a mid-day nap in a major city with major construction on the other side of the road, or concentrating on writing complex software in a noisy office.  Knowing that the thunderous noise is lurking and could strike at anytime means that the Bose 700 just is not useful for the quiet rest scenario.

Bose, the 700's are a beautifully designed head phone.  I used to really enjoy the Bose Q35 I for almost 4 years before the right ear cup went out and I upgraded to the 700's.  I really hope a firmware update can save the day here.

Hi there @uber27 and @perdiddy and welcome to our Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the audio dropout issues you've experienced here and would be happy to help 😊.

Firstly, with regards to the audio drop-outs, I would advise that you open the Bose Music app, select the headphones, followed by "Source". This will show you the connected devices, the device history, and the device that is currently being streamed from (If one is currently playing). If you find that this is constantly swapping the "Streaming from" device, I would advise that you set one of the devices to "Mute", "Do not Disturb", or close and streaming programs on that device to prevent any accidental swapping of the device.

You can also click "Edit" on this same page and remove any connection(s) you don't want to use, or use the slider to easily disconnect that product.

I have also passed on the feedback you've provided regarding this to see if this option can be changed using the buttons or functionality of the headset!

As far as the suggestions regarding audio prompts, I can see that you've already noted that you can have the voice-prompts on/off, but there are still quiet confirmation sounds when disabled. I have also passed on the feedback regarding a "Complete Silence" mode whereby there are no audio prompts, to see if this is a possibility in the future.

Please let me know what updates you have regarding the "Streaming from" device(s), and let me know if you have any updates/further suggestions!

Liam W - Community Support

perdiddy
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 16, 2019

Hi @Liam_W . I have tried the suggestions you had mentioned but the problem of the Bose auto-shutting down in within one hour of continuous audio persists.  It is important to point out that the shutdown only seems to occur when I am lying down and not moving.  I have not been able to reproduce this problem sitting, standing or moving about.

Here is what my test entailed this week:  I tried shutting down all devices and removing them completely from the Bose app.  Then I paired only one device and the 700's  shutdown.  For a new rounds of tests I disconnected all devices and for the first time connected an iPhone 7plus without using the Bose Appp.  The results were the same.  Bose went into auto shutdown within 45 mintues of listening to continuous Audio while lying down and trying to rest.

The Stringed Instrument Bow strike audio prompt that goes with the shutdown is A lot louder than it should be.  Try listening to white noise (like for example, the recorded sound of a Commerical 747 Cabin section during flight). In a quite room while resting and listening through spotify, the volume of the iPhone 7 would naturally need to be low (maybe one or two bars) for it to be comfortable listening to the white noise.  Then the audio prompt of the bose kicks in hard, as the 700's shut down.  If audio prompts cannot be silenced by a setting, the loudness level of the prompts should be a relative to the current volume of the main listening device.

Hi Perdiddy, 

Thank you for coming back to us! 

I have marked your post as a feature request for the volume of the prompt. Our development team will be able to view this and review. 

I would recommend going into the Application and making sure you do not have a Standby timer activated as this could be what's causing your headphones to shut down. This should be in the settings menu on the product page.

Let me know how you get on!

Kindest,

Jessie O 

perdiddy
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 16, 2019

@Jessie_O  I had previously checked the Auto Shutoff setting through the bose app which is always set to Never.  I just verified that is still Never.  I suspect the Bose AR feature is detecting the heaphones are in a certain position (on a persons head who is lying down and not moving at all) and then entering an auto shutdown phase.