Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

NC 700 - No way to switch devices using the headphones

On the QC35 headphones, you could slide the power button to choose the active device. There needs to be a way to do this from the NC-700 headphones, but it looks like a glaring omission.

I use this in the scenario where I have more than two devices which I have paired, and I need to have the headphones switch to have an active connection with a device that isn't active. While you can do this using the Music app, or by initiating the connection from the device, this isn't sufficient. The phone can be tucked away. Most devices do not have an optimized way to reconnect.

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted

Re: NC 700 - No way to switch devices using the headphones

Hello daboshee,

Thank you for taking the time to contribute to the community. 

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700, I am sorry to hear that you are more satisfied with the device switching feature on the QuietComfort 35 II headphones.

You can store up to eight devices in the headphone device list, and the headphones can be actively connected to two devices at a time. To connect an additional device, use the Bose Music app. You can access this option from the Settings menu. To switch between two connected audio devices, pause audio on your first device, following this play audio on your second device.

Please let us know if you have any further questions. 

Tegan M - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

Yes, I understand that I can use the Music app to switch. I would request that a mechanism be added to switch without having to use the Music app.

Please pass information on to the engineering team about this. Perhaps they could implement a button press or gesture that could do this. 

Since the QC35 headphones had the feature, I would think the value would be clear of not having to use the phone to switch devices. 

Thanks.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 13, 2019

@Tegan_M wrote:

To connect an additional device, use the Bose Music app. You can access this option from the Settings menu.

This is assuming that one can use the Bose Muisic App to connect to the nc700’s in the first place. I and many others on iOS have issues with the app communicating with the headphones and constantly having to re-login, presumably not possible whilst flying etc. 

It is also not always convenient to get out a phone just to switch audio devices. This should be a function available on the headphones themselves as it is on other Bose devices. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 5, 2019

For general visibility and added emphasis to bose:

Bose 700 headphones need a “switch device” button

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 10, 2017

Hi Bose

I work in a corporate office and I have my NC 700 headphones paired to my windows 10 device and iPhone.

Switching audio output between the two devices is an extremely poor experience. The headphones do not know when to make the switch depending on what type of audio is playing on either the phone or laptop. Moving from a mobile phone call to a Skype for business or WebEx call is nearly painful. It's gotten to the point where I have to turn off Bluetooth on one device so the other one works.

Also; the Bose music app does not allow me to switch devices (yes I can see the setting, but the setting is very very finnicky)

Please guys, these headphones are great. Just this one feature sucks and needs to be fixed. Please.

Highlighted

Hello domjohnson,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing some trouble with switching devices when using your NC Headphones 700. 

When you say that the Bose Music app does not allow you to switch devices, what happens to prevent this?

I appreciate your feedback and will be sure to pass on this information to our development team!

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 27, 2019

I have the exact same problem with the poor auto-switch functionality. In my experience it more commonly selects the wrong device. I have an Galaxy S10+ and a 2019 Macbook Pro (Mojave). I use the headphones both in the office, and on my commute.

This is a common scenario for me:

While commuting, with the laptop in my backpack, I turn on the headphones. The voice tells it connects to both the laptop and the phone. I start playing music with Spotify on the phone. Nothing happens. I then open the Bose app, and see that it has chosen the laptop as the streaming source. This makes no sense to me, clearly a bug. Remember that the laptop is off, and not playing any sound what-so-ever. I then use the app to disconnect the laptop from the headphones, so the headphones are forced to choose the phone as the streaming source. 

Not that, in addition, the Bose app often fails in connecting to the headphones. I have spent minutes, restarting the headphones, restarting the app, before I've been able to disconnect the laptop.

Because of these problems I have now unpaired my laptop from the headphones, and have only the phone paired with the headphones. This means that the bluetooth support on these headphones, for me, is worse than on the previous model which didn't support dual devices connected.

A poorly implemented feature is worse than not having the feature!

You really need to get your act together on this, it is completely unacceptable for a product which is significantly more expensive than all competitors. 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 9, 2019

@arakvaag thanks a lot for this report! I have the exact same problem and I have also the exact same scenario while commuting!

That's so much annoying! I would now rather using the "old" bose i35 from my wife than the bose 700. But I need the Bose 700 since the i35 has such a bad sound quality when it comes to a phone call while using the headphones.

The microphone from the bose 700 are pretty insane! But with the issue that you can't switch the device, it's really bad user experience. 

Also, I notice, while connecting to two devices I often hear a "click" noise. Sounds like my smartphone has some incoming notifications and the headphone didn't know if it should change or not.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 31, 2019

Completely agree. The iOS app is so flaky and as you said, I do not always have my phone to hand to log into, open the app and then select the device I want to listen to. Something my previous Bose headsets could do, but would have been enough for me to have considered a different headset had I known before purchasing!